attaching glass to wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

View rutharchambault's Photo Album My Photos
attaching glass to wood

I am building an "end table" which will have a round glass top (36" diameter). I would like this top to sit directly on four wood supports. What is the best way to anchor the glass top to the supports? It will be a similar situation to this table on a furniture website...

http://www.contemporaryfurniture.com...00897&CatID=18

thanks!
ruth
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mom/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
I would guess that the glass does not want to be glued down, but need to be replacable??? The support points should be padded to prevent movement and scratching the glass. The support should also be far enough out that tipping is not an issue. But if you insist on gluing. There are adhesives that will glue anything to anything. Wood is the easy part, glass is harder. And it should not show.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
If you plan to attach the glass to the wood supports I would suggest clear silicone adhesive/sealant.

Gerry
post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Go to a glass supplier and pick up flexible plastic discs. They are clear, about 1/16" thick, and about the diameter of a nickel. Glass won't slide around when these are used.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
If you plan to attach the glass to the wood supports I would suggest clear silicone adhesive/sealant.

Gerry
Yes.

G
post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The flexible discs appeal to me! I'll try them first and if not satisfied, will drag out the tube of silicone adhesive. If I go that route and the glass ever has to be replaced, maybe I could just saw off the top 1/4 inch of the supports, and create a shorter table!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
what about stretchers to attach the legs together and a radius'd rabbitt on the top of the legs to support the glass, or just make legs smaller diameter than glass and let it overhang the legs, use the pads to keep from slipping?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
what about stretchers to attach the legs together and a radius'd rabbitt on the top of the legs to support the glass, or just make legs smaller diameter than glass and let it overhang the legs, use the pads to keep from slipping?
Yes, my design calls for letting the glass overhang the legs (this particular design I came up with will look better without a rabbeted circular "frame" atop the legs in my opinion). For that reason, I was seeking advice on how to attach the glass to the legs, so it wouldn't slip around or get knocked off! That's why I believe the little flexible pads might just work. I hope so, as I'd like to avoid gluing, since the glue, even though transparent, would show through the glass, unless someone out there knows a way to keep that from happening!

Thanks again to the responses from everyone. I appreciate them very much.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 PM

View Verndog's Photo Album My Photos
Hi,
Not sure if it would be applicable for your project but I tried gluing a stile onto glass with hot glue gun to no avail. After that failed I used Gorilla glue it expands and is a bet messy but the stile is still in place and hasn't moved after 6-9 months.
Vern
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Hi,
Not sure if it would be applicable for your project but I tried gluing a stile onto glass with hot glue gun to no avail. After that failed I used Gorilla glue it expands and is a bet messy but the stile is still in place and hasn't moved after 6-9 months.
Vern
Thanks, Vern. I'm not a big fan of Gorilla glue. I think it's the messiness you mentioned that bugs me! But I'm glad to know it is working for your situation! Anyway, I think I have my glass-to-wood issue solved now with those "bump-on" flexible pads placed between leg ends (the upper ends) and the glass top. It seems to be working so far! Yeah! I love it when I can avoid gluing
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
If you ever find yourself in the place where you have to replace the glass, for some reason, a good sharp razor knife will slice through the silicone. No sweat.

Gerry
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
If you ever find yourself in the place where you have to replace the glass, for some reason, a good sharp razor knife will slice through the silicone. No sweat.

Gerry
Well, that makes sense, and is something that hadn't occurred to me! Duh! Thanks!!
post #13 of 13 Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
I used the clear silicone for our front door. It is an old oak door from 1926. The glass had to be replaced, I put a thin bead all around the rabbit and placed the glass in. It does not move one bitparts where it squeezed out , I waited til it dried and cut it away with a razor.

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......

Tags
glass, tabletop, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode