Aspen wood for furniture ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
Aspen wood for furniture ?

I have to build a make up vanity ,any thoughts on using aspen? I've never used it before but it looks suitable for what i need it for.The project will be painted (sprayed of course).I'm also looking for some advise on choosing a good sprayable paint (not my specialty)and some techniques.Seems i can build better than i can finish.The design is usually the hardest,it must be simple but slightly elegant. Customer also requested some hidden compartments,which is dictating some of the design.I also have to build a matching frame that will be hung on the wall. I don't build much furniture but enjoy the challenge when it comes. I'll start sketching up something tonight.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM

View seawolf21's Photo Album My Photos
Aspen?

I use aspen very sparingly because it is a fuzzy wood. I usually use it for small objects like toys. When I resaw it on my bandsaw, the cut side is fuzzy and needs alot of sanding. I don't know how it looks when done on a tablesaw. I would try a piece first before you make any furniture with it.

Gary
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 PM

View Jim@jlazy3's Photo Album My Photos
I live where there is an abundance of Aspen wood available, but rarely use it for anything other than wood ceilings. It's a very soft wood, is notorious for end checking and splitting, and is very difficult to get an even finish on. As an example, the last ceiling I did, required 4 coats of sanding sealer, before the any lacquer could be applied. The reason is because of the "fuzzy" areas that occur when the board is being planned, these areas just drink in the finish. Same problem with staining... the wood blotches badly. Aspen wood is rather weak too, as in poor structural strength.
FWIW, I'd build out of birch or Soft Maple......Jim@Jlazy3
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I used Aspen once for a ladder shelf. Never again.

Did you say tool sale?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

45 degree Lock Miter/Draw lock miter router bits

I've decided to use poplar,its a good all around choice for woodworking,easy to work with and economical.Seems pointless to use a more expensive wood and cover with paint.I'm going to experiment with the 45 degree lock miter or the draw lock miter for the draws.Anyone made draws this way before ? Looking for a way to speed up draw making and assembly but not sacrifice strength. Looks like a nice strong joint and fairly simple to do.There are also jigs available for faster set up time from www.rockler.com

post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM

View SPalm's Photo Album My Photos
I tried a 45-degree locking miter router bit several years ago and I found it extremely hard to set up. It looks like it should be so easy. Maybe it was just me.

How about a locking rabbet joint? You just make it with the TS or router table with straight bits. It is just like the mitered one, only not mitered. It is a nice drawer joint.

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by SPalm; 10-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I've thought of that but there is so much more surface area for gluing from the draw miter and thats the key to a strong joint.I figured set up may be a pain but since you can also purchase the set-up template i figure its worth a try. (See Pic) After a few draws it should become easy.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (45.6 KB, 574 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode