Anyone done a craft room? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

View bassadict69's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone done a craft room?

My wife has gotten into sewing, embroidery and vinyl heat press stuff. I am thinking I will get my feet wet by trying to redo her craft room for her.

First will be to build her something to keep all her squares of vinyl organized...each sheet is 12"x12". I am thinking about something about 7ft tall with multiple slots, kind of like a mail organizer some employers use...still looking around at design ideas.

Something like this, but taller and only two wide...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Doesn't matter what we think, what does she think of the idea?
post #3 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

She loves it! Probably the only reason I am being allowed to buy a table saw! HaHa!

post #4 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
She loves it! Probably the only reason I am being allowed to buy a table saw! HaHa!
Maybe you should ask her if she would like it made from solid hardwood. You would then need a jointer for that.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I don't even know what that is! Guess I better keep researching this whole thing!

I have a rough sketch of the whole room I plan to do...basically start with the above mentioned piece, come off that with a desk height work station for her machines and laptop with some drawers underneath...
post #6 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I know I have alot of work to do learning to do this!
post #7 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM

A jointer is a machine used to straighten or flatten wood. It's needed to dress the edges so you can glue together to make wider panels. You could also use it like you needed a board smooth on all four sides. You could first straighten the board and then rip it 1/8" wider than the finish size and then run it through the jointer on each edge taking off 1/16" off each side to it's finished dimension.

I was kidding about using solid wood for your shelving unit. That project would be better made out of plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	271681  

post #8 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking 3/4"...just not sure how to do all the shelves, especially since I am wanting two columns of 12" x 12" slots side by side.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I was thinking 3/4"...just not sure how to do all the shelves, especially since I am wanting two columns of 12" x 12" slots side by side.
3/4" plywood would work fine for most of it. On the part of it that has the slots I would run 1/4" cross dado's on the sides and use 1/4" plywood for that. I would leave them loose so if she needs a larger opening she can just remove them as needed.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

You talking about grooves with a dado blade? That is kind of what I was thinking... it is going to take me a year to finish researching all this before I can even get started! HaHa! My question now is, how to cut 20 or so dados in each board and have each side level and match up!

Last edited by bassadict69; 01-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You talking about grooves with a dado blade?
Yes the grooves can be cut with either a dado blade or with a router with a straight cut bit. Personally I like doing that with a dado blade the best.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-12-2017, 05:19 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
To make the grooves all the same distance apart, something like this would be handy, with a longer key and using a wide fence and two runners for the slots on either side of the table saw blade.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ma...box-joint-jig/

Keeping the long boards square to the blade as you push it through is a challenge.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
How does she want the room arranged? My wife does a lot of sewing. She has an L shaped desk that she uses for sewing and cutting. It has plenty of drawer space plus a large cabinet for storing other things. Fabric is used up soon so there is no actual storage space needed for that. Each craft would dictate storage and work space as to fabric, thread, etc.

My wife gives sound advice. 99% sound and 1% advice.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

That is how I was planning to do this room...two columns of the slots for vinyl sheets, then coming off that, a desk space for her lap top and silhouette machine, then a set of drawers for storage, then another small desk space for her embroidery machine. At that point it is back in the corner of the room. I was thinking of continuing the desktop around the corner with some square cubicle storage underneath, then on that wall, a desktop area for her surger and sewing machine.

I have a rough sketch of it but it keeps getting turned sideways when I try to post it...
post #15 of 24 Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That is how I was planning to do this room...two columns of the slots for vinyl sheets, then coming off that, a desk space for her lap top and silhouette machine, then a set of drawers for storage, then another small desk space for her embroidery machine. At that point it is back in the corner of the room. I was thinking of continuing the desktop around the corner with some square cubicle storage underneath, then on that wall, a desktop area for her surger and sewing machine.

I have a rough sketch of it but it keeps getting turned sideways when I try to post it...
If you don't have the means of rotating the image, go ahead and post it. I can fix it.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
>>>>something about 7ft tall

cutting cross slots in a work piece that long on a tablesaw is going to be somewhere between really tricky and dangerous.

a router & rail would definitely be my approach - leave the uprights as wide as possible so one cut is at least left&right sides, then rip and book match to align perfectly.

...12x12 you may be restricted to just two uprights (i.e. 24" wide)

I'd also construct a simple spacing jig vs. measuring slot-to-slot. that way extreme (measuring) care is needed for only the first slot...
post #17 of 24 Old 01-13-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
>>>>something about 7ft tall

cutting cross slots in a work piece that long on a tablesaw is going to be somewhere between really tricky and dangerous.

a router & rail would definitely be my approach - leave the uprights as wide as possible so one cut is at least left&right sides, then rip and book match to align perfectly.

...12x12 you may be restricted to just two uprights (i.e. 24" wide)

I'd also construct a simple spacing jig vs. measuring slot-to-slot. that way extreme (measuring) care is needed for only the first slot...

I am worried that having it 24" wide will allow two different type vinyl sheets to become mixed up, hence the reason for wanting three uprights with one acting as the divider between the two sides.

Is there an actual name for these grooves we are talking about cutting? Would like to start researching this, looking at jig ideas, etc.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-13-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I think I found just the thing... https://nickferry.com/2016/05/perfec...uter-jig-ep68/
The Following User Says Thank You to bassadict69 For This Useful Post:
WesTex (01-13-2017)
post #19 of 24 Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
misunderstanding there. . . .

take one pc 24 inches wide and 7 ft long

cut dados across the 24 inch width
then
cut the big pc to 12" wide by 7 ft long

or . . . actually since you have middle dividers
cut dados in the 24" width,
then flip over
cut dados in the other side 24" width
then cut 12" wide x 7 ft long.

for the side pcs, dado just the one side....

the theory is to minimize the number of events where super careful measuring is required for success.

allow for saw kerfs as needed. i.e. if 12" depth is exactly required, you'll only get 3 uprights per 4x8 sheet....the saw kerf will eat some of the 38" width
allow extra length on the 7 ft bit - then after all the dados are cut you can line up the dados perfectly and trim the 7 ft length "exactly"
post #20 of 24 Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Same principle, but way simpler than my idea in post #12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode