1 inch thick plywood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

View btyirin's Photo Album My Photos
1 inch thick plywood

Hey guys. I have some plans and an idea for making one of those 1980's arcade cocktail machines. Every plan I look at calls for 1 inch thick plywood for the top and 3/4 for the sides.

I have no idea where to get 1 inch thick ply from. I have been searching all day.

Normally I would adjust the design but the problem is that all the hardware sold to work with the table ONLY works with a 1 inch thick top.

Any body ever buy this stuff?

I guess I could sandwich 2 1/2" sheets together. Its gonna be painted black anyway.

Brian

"Nathan needs some Huggies.......I'll be out directly"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM

View bradleywellsoff's Photo Album My Photos
3/4" ply With 1" hardwood edge and 1/4" shim wherever hardware comes into play if you dont see it. Also, there's 1 1/8" Iron on edge tape for the 1/2" lam.

You doin' an old school Pac Man? Love to see that!

Brad

Last edited by bradleywellsoff; 01-01-2009 at 10:01 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 AM

View Deadhead Derek's Photo Album My Photos
most any lumber yard can order a sheet of 1" ply in an AC or most grades. usually next day . for consistency, better to order the 1" than do a glue up IMO
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is " Hey guys. I have some plans and an idea for making one of those 1980's arcade cocktail machines.?"

G
post #5 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
There are several species of hardwood plywood available in 1" thickness. For example, see the chart here.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Call these guys, they have a warehouse here in Louisville, they are a bit pricey but hey, they supply stuff no one else sells.

http://www.hooddistribution.com/
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I'll check into them.

G, I have some plans that I'm going to modify with my own ideas. Its a small cabinet that houses a 19 " monitor and and computer. Its table height, 30 inches. Has controls and joysticks at either end for 2 players. The computer runs an emulation program called MAME. Multiple arcade machine emulator. It has the potential to run about 6000 video games from the early 80's to present.

Its a nice project that brings two of my favorite things together. Computers and Woodwork. Here's a link with some projects from other people

I'm gathering up parts now for the build. The woodwork is easy. The computer side of it will be harder. For my first build I'm going to use an old 19" TV for the monitor so I'll begin after I obtain one of those. I'm looking for an old PC too. It doesn't take much to run those old games.

Nate, I called them and they have it. I'll be driving through Louisville next week on my way to VA. Perfect timing!

Brian

post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I thought that maybe that was what you were talking about. I have just never heard that name applied. I used to own and put machines like that into bars and other areas where gaming would be profitable. I did not keep these long as the stand up arcade types were preferred. The idea of the sit down game seemed good but just did not pan out.

Continental airlines put some of the very first "pong" games in the lounge area of their DC-10's.

There is nothing about the top that would require 1" plywood. Three quarter would be perfectly adequate. They are simply a box with a glass top under which sits an old fashioned CRT monitor.

Do you have a source for original electronics or is somebody putting out new material?

George
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
btyirin Why not just glue 2 pieces of 1/2 together.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I guess I could glue pieces together. But if I can buy 1" thick I will.

G, there are tons a suppliers out there now for original and new replicated parts. I swear there is a cult for these games now. Its pretty simple to set up. All the controllers and buttons get wired into a external board with gets hooked into the keyboard input of your computer. SO you could use the REAL buttons and contols. I plan to. I might even add a trackball for those Golden Tee golf games. I've been scouring the internet looking for the old coin op doors and everything. Just for looks.

This is a going to be a long project. I don't plan on going full speed as I'm trying to find used or free parts to build it. Part of the fun is that alone. Pricing a build out can go well over a 1000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode