Woodworking Talk banner

cutting styles & rails out from Elliptical arches

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ecw 
#1 ·
i'm on a job where the designs have changed for the elliptical arches. they were originally smooth arches about 2' wide by 5' long, now they want raised panels in them. the construction is finished and primed so ripping them out & starting over is not an option. we used 1/8" masonite (cut to the desired sizes for the styles & rails) & nailed it on to use as straight edge guides then routed them out. being elliptical, of course the router keeps jumping off the guide, & being over head it is impossible to consistantly see the work. the 1/8" is the only thing that will bend to the elliptical. does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this ?
eric

#2 ·
Can't get it from your description?

Can you post a photo? How wide/thick/deep is the material you're are routing? from the side? from the bottom? Upside down? Vertical profile bits? Small hand held trim router? What's the section look like? Need more info.:blink: bill

#3 ·
can't post pics, however can answer questions such as these. the object is not to route the panels in place, those will be built in a form & done separetly. the questions i have are regarding the cutting out of the flat panels, leaving the styles & rails in place thereby the existing flat (2' wide by 5' long by 3/4" deep)elliptical arch becomes the styles and rails when the (to be) panels areas are removed, this is due to the fact that the construction is complete(casing, coloumns & placement, capitals, etc.) & primed.
routing from the bottom side of the arch.
currently using small trim router.
section is currently one elliptical smooth surface, when completed to have three equall sized raised panels.

i'm wondering if there is an easier method to cut out the existing surface, leaving the style & rail system?

#10 ·
adding to the face would change the reveal. the arch allready has casing on it with a 3/16" reveal. this reveal must remain 3/16", to apply anything to the face and have the raised panels plane with the stiles & rails would change that reveal.
tomarrow we'll finish with the arches. i was just hoping that for future reference somone might have an idea for an easier method.
thanks for all the considerations though.
eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.