.com for those that do not know - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

View Confused's Photo Album My Photos
.com for those that do not know

I was trying to figure out why this forum, filled with people who are simply trying to help eachother, was so sluggish. All other such forums of varied topics that I learn and teach from are .net rather than .com. (this one is .com). That means the organizers are profiting from every member that joins or even visits. Is there a .net site with serious woodworkers that any of you visit so I can simply absorb and share info without dealing with advertisements and junk? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Total Novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
This site is privately owned, but I never see any advertising or "click bait" here.

There is no essential difference between .com and .net domains. Dot net domains are often used by non-profits and similar organizations, but so are dot com domains. Any sluggishness you perceive here is of your own making/doing because I don't see it.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #3 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 PM

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post
I was trying to figure out why this forum, filled with people who are simply trying to help eachother, was so sluggish. All other such forums of varied topics that I learn and teach from are .net rather than .com. (this one is .com). That means the organizers are profiting from every member that joins or even visits. Is there a .net site with serious woodworkers that any of you visit so I can simply absorb and share info without dealing with advertisements and junk? Thanks!
I haven't been here all that long, but I've never seen it slow. This site is a vBulletin sourced site and I belong to several sites that use the same hosting service with no issues. Perhaps if you provided more information about your system, we might be able to help more.
What is your download/upload speed that your ISP is providing?
Are you on a WiFi network in your home?
If so, what is it's link speed?
Are you using a PC and what OS and version?
Are you using a tablet and again what OS and version?
What browser are you using?

FWIW, I'm using W10, FireFox v50.0.2 with AdBlockPlus and Ghostery addons. I see no ads and no slowness. Ghostery is blocking 11 ad trackers, 4 social media trackers, and 1 site analytics. My ISP cable connection is 30 Meg/sec.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Frye For This Useful Post:
WesTex (12-12-2016)

post #4 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
There is essentially no difference between .com and .net domains. The both, along with .org, are unrestricted open domains any of which can be used as commercial ventures.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 11:15 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
There is essentially no difference between .com and .net domains. The both, along with .org, are unrestricted open domains any of which can be used as commercial ventures.
As Kerrys says there is no difference, at one time they actually were somewhat differentiated but not any more, .com is preferred if you can't get it you settle for one of the others.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 07:13 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have no add problems and the site us usually as fast as any other.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
WesTex (12-12-2016)
post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
if the dot com/others was ever a problem, it's getting a lot worse:

https://www.godaddy.com/tlds/gtld.aspx?catId=0
post #8 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
I have experienced both ... quick response times and times when it takes several seconds to finish loading the video ads.
There are, at this time, 4 ads on my page, none of which are videos.

I have been in here when there were 6 or so and at least one was a video. It takes an extra second or so to load then.

But even a few seconds isn't all that long. It's one of the problems with the world today. Few people seem to have any patience. Every body seems to be in a hurry, and want their computer/phones to be instantaneous.
I mean, how can you drive correctly if your waiting for the next page to load ???
post #9 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I have experienced both ... quick response times and times when it takes several seconds to finish loading the video ads.
There are, at this time, 4 ads on my page, none of which are videos.

I have been in here when there were 6 or so and at least one was a video. It takes an extra second or so to load then.

But even a few seconds isn't all that long. It's one of the problems with the world today. Few people seem to have any patience. Every body seems to be in a hurry, and want their computer/phones to be instantaneous.
I mean, how can you drive correctly if your waiting for the next page to load ???
Mikechell...I guess it makes a big difference depending on your internet speed......on lower speed DSL as I have it is a big issue BUT that can be corrected by adding a ad blocker as I have....there's also built in blockers for different formats as explorer, google, etc. etc. I use AdBlockerPlus..as a matter of fact it has 30 blocked at this time....according to the blocker numbers it gradually getting more to block. Some are page related somehow also.

OP I advise get a ad blocker......several free ones out there also. When I'm at my mom's comp with no blocker it takes a lot longer and yes I like it to pop up when I click...not wonder if I hit the wrong button or if it's gonna change....LOL...impatient, mmmmmmm...it's more I DON'T want to see advertising when I'm not shopping....so it's a waste of my time....it's enough that I almost quit coming here after the change until I found ABP....now it's a walk in the park most of the time.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 01:16 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Every body seems to be in a hurry
Those are the same people who pass you on the highway, driving like a bat out of Hell, then pull off or turn 100 yards ahead of you.
I have been on this forum and others and have experienced no problems downloading text, photos, or videos. On a couple, I have to disable my anti-virus to open links.

My wife gives sound advice. 99% sound and 1% advice.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Having read the original post I am wondering if you teach for free or if you are compensated for it but expect others to supply you with material for free.

Putting any site up on the web costs money, it is the ads that generate revenue to keep the site online. It costs a member here nothing to post a link to a site or a Youtube video, but somewhere along the line somebody else was out of pocket and should be compensated, just as the owners of this site should be as it is their dollar you are playing with in the long run.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #12 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I suppose a lot has to do with my system. But of the couple forums I actively visit this one is the only sluggish trouble maker. Adding a link to a YouTube vid directs you to YouTube and so not an issue, but all these adds with graphics slow up my old IPad I suppose. I'm just not used to advertisements being in A library, but I also remember in grade school having to actually get up and go to A library so I can't complain.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Total Novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post
Yes, I suppose a lot has to do with my system. But of the couple forums I actively visit this one is the only sluggish trouble maker. Adding a link to a YouTube vid directs you to YouTube and so not an issue, but all these adds with graphics slow up my old IPad I suppose. I'm just not used to advertisements being in A library, but I also remember in grade school having to actually get up and go to A library so I can't complain.
That library that we went to was paid for by public taxes and private endowments. Do you object to advertisements in magazines and newspapers? Someone has to pay for the newspaper, someone has to pay for this forum.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #14 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhotographer View Post
That library that we went to was paid for by public taxes and private endowments. Do you object to advertisements in magazines and newspapers? Someone has to pay for the newspaper, someone has to pay for this forum.
Yea, being on the East coast, mine was paid for by Andrew Carnegie. People do still donate money and/or time in the Internet age you know:). Simply comparing the amount of ads here to other forums I frequent. Seems excessive here. But that is simply my experience. I'm sure many have a different experience. Thank you for the comment. I'm new to the site. BYOB.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhotographer View Post
This site is privately owned, but I never see any advertising or "click bait" here.

Guitar photographer, This site is privately owned BUT it's full of heavy ads that draw down any comp that doesn't have some sort of blocking mechanism/system/app.....yours must be in your browser and was auto set if you didn't set it and don't see them....it is a difference of a up to a minute sometimes per page without a blocker. There are 30 ads being blocked at this time.....they are annoying... some auto run whether you want or not.....YES I understand a business as this has to have a income of some sort and I'm not arguing against BUT the way they auto load without requesting I don't think is good business. I also go to other sites that have ads BUT you have to click on them usually to one side of page if interested in them.

Confused just download a ad blocker and be done with the troubles.

Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-12-2016, 12:43 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've been here a while ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
Guitar photographer, This site is privately owned BUT it's full of heavy ads that draw down any comp that doesn't have some sort of blocking mechanism/system/app.....yours must be in your browser and was auto set if you didn't set it and don't see them....it is a difference of a up to a minute sometimes per page without a blocker. There are 30 ads being blocked at this time.....they are annoying... some auto run whether you want or not.....YES I understand a business as this has to have a income of some sort and I'm not arguing against BUT the way they auto load without requesting I don't think is good business. I also go to other sites that have ads BUT you have to click on them usually to one side of page if interested in them.

Confused just download a ad blocker and be done with the troubles.

We had a couple of "mass exodus" here, one for a case of too many ads. We lost a ton of contributing members for that and a similar reason. Quite a few were "banned" as in "no longer here", a more politically correct designation. This site has changed ownership a few times also.

Personally I hate the ads, have a blocker and have never purchased anything from an ad on this or any other site. I know what want and need and no ad will influence me otherwise. I know where to go to purchase my tools and machines and other expendable items like sandpaper. I buy my lumber locally, if I don't have it my own supply of rough sawn. So the ads don't effect me in any way.
My time is valuable to me and I don't like waiting for pages to load and the cursor to start flashing for no apparent reason. It's a PITA.
I suppose I could get a faster computer, but when this site is working normally, it's just fine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #17 of 17 Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
We had a couple of "mass exodus" here, one for a case of too many ads. We lost a ton of contributing members for that and a similar reason. Quite a few were "banned" as in "no longer here", a more politically correct designation. This site has changed ownership a few times also.

Personally I hate the ads, have a blocker and have never purchased anything from an ad on this or any other site. I know what want and need and no ad will influence me otherwise. I know where to go to purchase my tools and machines and other expendable items like sandpaper. I buy my lumber locally, if I don't have it my own supply of rough sawn. So the ads don't effect me in any way.
My time is valuable to me and I don't like waiting for pages to load and the cursor to start flashing for no apparent reason. It's a PITA.
I suppose I could get a faster computer, but when this site is working normally, it's just fine.
LOL !!!!! I've been here with you through the issues....preaching to the choir here. I'm just glad we survived and there is cures for the issue. Same here older computer AND I'm happy with it........As long as my blocker is on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode