Attention - Password And Security Update - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

17Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View admin's Photo Album My Photos
Attention - Password And Security Update

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,
Helena
Community Management
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 04:14 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
If we change the password now, will we have to change it again when you send out the notices?
post #3 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
2010 !!! Oooops misread date.... I'm with Mikechell question.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.

Last edited by Tennessee Tim; 06-14-2016 at 08:04 PM.
post #4 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If this was my banking or brokerage site I would understand stronger passwords and yearly changes.

BUT, come on admin, this is a woodworking forum. Thar ain't nothing on here that is sensitive. We do not have to be like the big boys an have maximum security. Just who cares if some unauthorized bum gets access. All they have to do is join.

George
WesTex, rinn69 and robertwsimpson like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
robertwsimpson (06-28-2016)
post #5 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 06:29 PM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Will I have to remember my old password to change it? Not sure I remember what it is, I haven't used it since first joining.
post #6 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 07:05 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Another reason to use Firefox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryQ View Post
Will I have to remember my old password to change it? Not sure I remember what it is, I haven't used it since first joining.
Firefox saves your Log ins/ passwords.
Click on Tools, Options, Security, Logins, Saved Logins....there they all are.

Credit to TomCT2 for this info, post no. 11:
Remember me button has stopped working.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-14-2016 at 08:39 PM.
post #7 of 56 Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 PM

View Robson Valley's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking and Wood Carving site forums have been hacked very successfully. While there's little to call "sensitive," all the memberships were very sensitive to the total loss of all illustrations, no mater what sorts of links were used. None of us had the appetite to repost hundreds+ of illustrations. The sites couldn't assure us that it won't happen again. I quite 3 of them.
post #8 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
One reason for asking to change the passwords is some spammers have gotten really good at hacking members passwords. It isn't just advertising spam we are concerned about, it is our members losing total control of their account when they got hacked and the spammer took over their account and was sending really bad pictures all over the forum in the member's name.

It has been a lot of trouble to clean up that mess and it still isn't cleared up yet. Changing the passwords, making them extra secure and very difficult to hack is one way to avoid all the extra work and time to clean up an account and save the member the embarrassment of bad pictures sent in their name. It isn't just for the staff, but to protect the members also.
WesTex likes this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (06-26-2016)
post #9 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Still haven't gotten an answer to my question.
I have NO problem changing passwords. I do it all the time on about 20 different sites, both work and home related.
But I DON'T want to change it now, only to have to change it again in a week or so.
post #10 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
One reason for asking to change the passwords is some spammers have gotten really good at hacking members passwords. It isn't just advertising spam we are concerned about, it is our members losing total control of their account when they got hacked and the spammer took over their account and was sending really bad pictures all over the forum in the member's name.

It has been a lot of trouble to clean up that mess and it still isn't cleared up yet. Changing the passwords, making them extra secure and very difficult to hack is one way to avoid all the extra work and time to clean up an account and save the member the embarrassment of bad pictures sent in their name. It isn't just for the staff, but to protect the members also.
OK, understand the extra work by by staff is a problem.

I doubt many people are embarrassed by someone else doing something in their name.

I do not need protection from that.

George
robertwsimpson likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
robertwsimpson (06-28-2016)
post #11 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
Woodworking and Wood Carving site forums have been hacked very successfully. While there's little to call "sensitive," all the memberships were very sensitive to the total loss of all illustrations, no mater what sorts of links were used. None of us had the appetite to repost hundreds+ of illustrations. The sites couldn't assure us that it won't happen again. I quite 3 of them.
What individual posts "hundreds+ of illustrations?"

George
post #12 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I have NO problem changing passwords. I do it all the time on about 20 different sites, both work and home related.
But I DON'T want to change it now, only to have to change it again in a week or so.
I'm with Mikechell ...NO answer yet or email we're supposed to recieve as stated in above post.....Admin IF your gonna make changes get your ducks in a row first on how we are to do our part and explain better why from 1 source. Don't announce as this was then leave us hanging as you figure out how in Hades your gonna handle it....sounds like a change that happened a while back...mmmm...learn from your mistakes, a LOT of GOOD guys/gals still here so far on forum.

Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #13 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
I probably have in pics.....AND YES I don't want them misused!!! or misquoted!!!

post #14 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:

George
Yeah ... what "illustrations"? Any ... um ... stripper action ... like was mentioned in that other post?
If you need a "waste basket" for those types of pictures, I have an extra one lying around here, somewhere.
WesTex likes this.
post #15 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this is not a big deal guys, just ...

Change you password with something that has lower case letters, Capital letters and numbers and be done with it. The reasons for the changes really don't much matter, JMO. Go to your User CP and find "edit password". Enter the "old password", type in the new one twice and your all done. Write the new one down on a "post it" note and stick it on your computer. If you have Fire Fox, it will save all the pass words to the sites you visit. A small window opens and ask "Should Fire fox remember this password?" .... click YES.

Some password hints:

Use a birthday, anniversary, relative or child's name ... Mary070416SIL
Use an address, but not yours, or a Zipcode with a pet's name.
Use a auto make, year, model... 1985ChevyK10
Use a favorite store or restaurant name, with numbers that have a meaning to you.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-15-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #16 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Geez...sure glad I'm not an admin.....
post #17 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
The password rules have not yet been implemented. We will update this thread when they have been. If you change now, you will likely have to change again once this happens.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #18 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Tim View Post
I'm with Mikechell ...NO answer yet or email we're supposed to recieve as stated in above post.....Admin IF your gonna make changes get your ducks in a row first on how we are to do our part and explain better why from 1 source. Don't announce as this was then leave us hanging as you figure out how in Hades your gonna handle it....sounds like a change that happened a while back...mmmm...learn from your mistakes, a LOT of GOOD guys/gals still here so far on forum.
Admin was just letting you know to expect these changes in the coming days. We will update this thread once that happens.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #19 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM

Thank you, Cricket. That's all I needed to know.
Cricket likes this.
post #20 of 56 Old 06-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
OK, understand the extra work by by staff is a problem.

I doubt many people are embarrassed by someone else doing something in their name.

I do not need protection from that.

George
George, the bad thing is when they take control of your account, you no longer can do anything on it, they are you. They change your password, take control away from you, and make posts for you.

mikechell, strippers don't even come close to the garbage they post, it would be hard for a normal person to think up the garbage/filth they post. To say it is sickening is to put it mildly.

The member this happened to, had an easy password to crack and didn't keep his email address up to date, so there was no way for anyone to contact him to let him know what was going on. His account had to be banned until all was cleaned up, and all the time this went on he had no idea why he couldn't get back on.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode