Please somebody tell me they have a problem with rust to! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

View Waterboy12's Photo Album My Photos
Please somebody tell me they have a problem with rust to!

I just spent 2 hours cleaning up all the scattered saw dust to find a fine coating of rust on my table saw, band saw table and lathe bed rails. I do this about every 2 months year around. My shop is %98 sealed with the exception of a few exhaust fans. I do everything I possibly can(boeshield, dehumidifier, constantly wiping everything down) to control rust but with where I live and the constant year around humidity(usually above %80) I feel like I'm constantly fighting an up hill battle. I'm in NC and its this bad...I truly feel sorry for you people further south of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy12 View Post
I just spent 2 hours cleaning up all the scattered saw dust to find a fine coating of rust on my table saw, band saw table and lathe bed rails. I do this about every 2 months year around. My shop is %98 sealed with the exception of a few exhaust fans. I do everything I possibly can(boeshield, dehumidifier, constantly wiping everything down) to control rust but with where I live and the constant year around humidity(usually above %80) I feel like I'm constantly fighting an up hill battle. I'm in NC and its this bad...I truly feel sorry for you people further south of me.
Sawdust holds moisture like a sponge, blow everything off you don't want rust on, then buy one of the sprays meant for this or apply paste wax.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry.......my table saw has a granite top.......and I run a dehumidifier in the basement for the rest of the tools.....not a bit of rust anywhere.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy View Post

Sawdust holds moisture like a sponge, blow everything off you don't want rust on, then buy one of the sprays meant for this or apply paste wax.
I'm wiping things down constantly and regularly apply boeshield.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Sorry.......my table saw has a granite top.......and I run a dehumidifier in the basement for the rest of the tools.....not a bit of rust anywhere.
I also run a dehumidifier
post #6 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
What do you have it set at......and are you sure it works? I've seen tons of dehumidifiers over the year that run and run and run.....and take out nothing. Is it collecting water in the bucket?
post #7 of 18 Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
What do you have it set at......and are you sure it works? I've seen tons of dehumidifiers over the year that run and run and run.....and take out nothing. Is it collecting water in the bucket?
It sits right in the middle of the shop 1000sqft and Yes it does collector water. It's a Walmart special so nothing fancy
post #8 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Procrastinator (For now.)

View sweet willy's Photo Album My Photos
I use a paste wax on all my stuff and rust isn't a problem. I live in TN and my garage is sealed only to critters bigger than a rat. No problem with rust as long as I keep stuff waxed every few months.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I live in central FL less than 20 miles from the gulf and rust is a huge problem for me as my cast iron tools and even steel tools all live either on the car port or in a shed without a dehumidifier. I always make sure everything is wiped down and has a liberal coating of something called top coat. Its specially formulated to prevent rust on tools, contains no wax, and does not leave any residue that has to be cleaned. It is applied like a normal car wax, but its not a wax.

If something does become rusty, a fast cleaning with WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad usually cleans it off.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #10 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Chairman of the 'Board

View NetDoc's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to NetDoc
I live in Key Largo and I am constantly cleaning my tools of the darned stuff. For the small stuff, I have a vibratory tumbler. For the bigger stuff, I use a die grinder with a Scotchbrite roloc followed by rust inhibitor. It's one of the reasons I air conditioned my shop this past month.

Solo otro día en el paraíso!
Pete 'NetDoc' Murray
www.ScubaBoard.com
post #11 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A better question would be "Who does not have a rust problem?"

George
post #12 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy12 View Post
i live in florida, i use T-9 and rust-off and don't have any rust on any of my bed's, you can get this at sear's and maybe low's ect, but this is what i use, lot's of different thing's to use but this stuff work's, it is mfd by boeing air craft co. got to be good, try it doesn't take sanding scrubbing ect, spary on and wipe off , easy to do, now their will be lot's of post and different idea's good luck del
post #13 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

This is the stuff I use. Not the rust remover but the rust preventer.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
I live in a swamp in an old house with a stone basement. Without dehumidification, water drips from the pipes on the ceiling. I find if I keep humidity levels at 50% or less, I have no rust problems. There are times when I have to run 2 dehumidifiers to achieve that level. All my stationary tools have cast iron tops.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #15 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Alan Sweet

View Alan Sweet's Photo Album My Photos
I live in Central Alabama.

I have always been concerned about rust.

I usually spend 1/2-1 day a month tuning the shop. That includes testing perpendiculars, squares, actually cleaning (and waxing) my work bench and waxing cast iron areas(Lathe bed, Drill Press Bed and column, TS bed, ...). I use Johnson Wax and have for years. I wax tools I have used once at end of day. and I still miss things i should have waxed.

If I don't wax or oil (WD-40) things they will rust.

In Alabama, because of rust, cars are considered bio-degradable.

What rust dose not get mold or Kudzu will.

Alan
post #16 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

That's how the conditions here are. If its not %90 humidity.....it's raining.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM

View chsdiyer's Photo Album My Photos
Just a heads up with respect to the dehumidifiers...
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/...G-Electronics/

There was a recall on a lot of them in the past and recent. That link highlights one of them but if you google there are more. Might be worth the time to check your model.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I live in the desert with less than 8% humidity so I don’t have rust problems unless it rains which isn’t too often. My problems are from ice cold drinks being set on my saws so I started waxing everything.

Simple AC units are the best dehumidifiers that I know of.

JohnnyB
"I do what I do well, but I still like to dabble in what I don’t do well"
I just like to build with wood and a means to save money by doing it myself.
I've been building things out of wood for 40 years and I'm still just an amateur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode