Ice chest Air cooler - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Ice chest Air cooler

How to make an Ice Chest Air Cooler

I started with an Igloo 40 Quart Maxcold ice chest on wheels. I chose this cooler because it has a flat top and it’s a 5 day cooler. Meaning it will keep ice for 5 days. I cut 2 holds in the lid, one using a 3 ¼ inch hole saw and one with a 3 ½ hole saw. In the 3 ¼ hole I glued a 3” thin wall street 90*. Glueing the street end in the lid. In the bell end I glued an 1 ½ piece of thin wall pipe to be used as a bushing to reduce the size of the opening. This is the end the air blower glues into. Then the blower in screwed to the lid through it’s 2 holes in the feet using 2 stainless steel screws. On the other end of the blower I glued a 3” thin wall male clean-out with a screw in plug.
In the 3 ½ hole in the lid, I glued a 3” thin wall male clean-out with screw-in plug.
Next I mounted a heater core out of a truck to the under side of the lid using 4 stainless steel screws. I used a heater core that has a ¾ inch inlet so it would be the same size as the water pump. In the bottom of the chest rest a 500gph bilge pump that connects to a ¾ inch hose. The other end of the hose connects to the heater core.
I bring this on the job with me now that I am working with an Electrical Contractor. It will cool a room down fairly quick and the ice will last all day and then some.

Academy
Igloo 5 Day Ice Chest $34.99
Attwood 3” turbo in-line Blower Model 1733-4 $22.99

Walmart
Attwood Tsunami Bilge Pump Model 4606-7 $17.96

Lowe’s
1. 3” S&D street 90* $3.88
2. 3” S&D female clean-outs $4.04
2. 3” S&D plugs $2.65
1. White outdoor box $5.77
1. Box cover $1.07
1. Tube silicone caulk $2.28
3ft ¾ tuding $1.47 per foot
1. ½” uf watertight connector $1.98
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 542.jpg
Views:	20395
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	15989  

Name:	Picture 543.jpg
Views:	13618
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	15990  

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 08-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handyman For This Useful Post:
joasis (07-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
That's a really cool idea.

post #3 of 26 Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Nice,Patent it!

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #4 of 26 Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty darned cool!!

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #5 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty nice idea, how about some pictures of the guts.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
That's just slicker than owl snot on a greased doorknob!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #7 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Nice! I think this is the same type system race car drivers use to circulate cold water around their core.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #8 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Always Learning

View bofa's Photo Album My Photos
Nice! I have a much smaller battery-operated version similar to that that we bought for hurricane season (the power always goes out). I think it was $20 at walmart. But... I like the bigger beefier version! Now I just need to get a generator.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Always Learning

Was thinking about this tonight (my garage is insanely hot.. and my AC is on its last leg it seems). Did you try the setup without the heater core + bilge pump design? I'm curious to know how much it truly affects the air temp given the massive airflow and if there is a design alternative that could make this project even less expensive.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 PM

View MrPulldown's Photo Album My Photos
That's awesome. Yes I want to see more pictures. At first glance I thought it jsut blew the air over the ice. Then after reading, you got heat exchangers and more. Need more pictures!!!

Pepper Mill Mechanisms for sale $8.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Always Learning

Well, my AC crapped out on me today and it's going to be a week or 2 before I can get the new one in. I went out tonight and bought the parts for this thing, except the blower.. need to find someone that has it in stock or order it asap. After thinking more about this, I see the need (or benefit) of using a heater core. I didn't have any lying around and no junk yards close by so I picked up a generic oil cooler unit from Autozone and am going to try that out. Once I get this done, I'll post some pics as well. Thanks again for the idea. Where do I send my royalties check?
post #12 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
.... I went out tonight and bought the parts for this thing, except the blower.. need to find someone that has it in stock or order it asap. ....?
You can order the blower from Academy.com or go to any place that sell things for boats. The blower was made to blow in or exsaust air from the engine compartment of a boat.

As soon as I can get back up and running online I will post more pictures. I am using our wi-fi at church right now. My internet air card it down.

Collector of Old Tools
post #13 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
...... Did you try the setup without the heater core + bilge pump design? I'm curious to know how much it truly affects the air temp given the massive airflow and if there is a design alternative that could make this project even less expensive.
bofa I would like to say that I invented it. But I didn't. I bought one off of ebay for $380.00 to put in my brothers Cecna 210 airplane. after looking at it and what it was made of, I built my own for around $100.00 It may work without the heater core and sump pump but I dont think it will work very good. You can always try it and then add to it after it fails the test. good luck. Handy

Collector of Old Tools
post #14 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Always Learning

Thanks Handy. I live close to the coast and called or visited 8 different stores and 1 warehouse Friday and none of them had a waterproof model in stock. I'll order them today. What did you use on the end of the bilge pump line to keep ice out? Also, just curious... how loud is this setup?

Last edited by bofa; 08-01-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
..... What did you use on the end of the bilge pump line to keep ice out? Also, just curious... how loud is this setup?
The bilge pump has a grated base that only allows liquids through. As for how loud is it? Well about the same as a squirrel cage blower running.

Collector of Old Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Ice Chest Air Cooler update

Some of you wanted more pictures so here you are.
I used a heater core out of an 02 ford 250 because it fit the lid real good. Due to the fact the bilge pump has a 3/4 discharge and the heater core is 1/2 in both pipes I had to use a pipe reducer. On the electrical box on top I added a 3 positional (on/off/on) toggle switch because I made it to have a 12VDC connection and a 110VAC connection. However the 110 has proven it's self to be a challenge. I need a transformer that converts 110VAC to 12VDC at no less than 3.5 amps. Closest I have come in a low volt landscape transformer. But I am not paying $50.00 for one. I will haul the big 12 volt car battery around first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 554.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	16068  

Name:	Picture 553.jpg
Views:	3293
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	16069  

Name:	Picture 556.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	16070  

Name:	Picture 555.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	16071  

Collector of Old Tools
post #17 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Always Learning

Nice, thanks for the pics. I think I'll be good with AC for now, but then again... hurricane season = power outtges so it would be nice to use a battery. You're from La, so you know. =)

I asked about the sound because I was thinking of using 2-3 of the 4" blowers to create a small homemade air filtration box. I've done a bit of research on these in-line blowers and they really move some air.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Always Learning

Hey Handy.. might have a better option for getting DC power to this thing. I was able to find quite a few AC adapters for laptops/printers/tvs that run 12V at 8-10 amps for about $10. I'd imagine if you can find a computer surplus store around there you could find something similar. Splice the connector and hardwire these things and we might be in business.

I'm having a hard time finding something to hold up to 18-20 amps if I decide to do this filtration unit with 2-3 4" blowers... but it should be fun. Edit.. I'm leaning towards using a computer power supply. I just found one that will run 12v 16 amps. I should make another post to discuss this probably.

Last edited by bofa; 08-02-2010 at 02:06 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM

View Nuc Tech's Photo Album My Photos
12 dc from 110ac

I have woked on this idea before but the heater core was what I needed to know. Thank you this is going to be awsome for camping in Florida.

The computer power supply is a good idea!

I have a few old parts out cases in the garage the power suppy puts out 12v dc and 5v dc most of them are about 300 watts.
This should be plenty of amps at 12 volts (amps X volts = watts).
I see old discard systems at thrift stores frequently and just replaced the power supply in the Wife's system $21.00. She always gets new, it's worth it.

The laptop supplys are nice but due tend to heat up. A regular supply has an interal fan to help with this and comes in a shiny metal box.

I will be modifying mine to have USB ports to charge my phone and iPod when it is plugged in.

Any thoughts on seperating the pump and fan switch?
Maybe a digital thermostat and relay controls for temperature control. Digital would not need to be level.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
What a heck of an Idea.. Hot summer in a boat cabin, camping in a tent, stuck in a vault,down at the beach, cool down that one room in the house thats always hot.

I must build........

Thanks Alot !!

I cut it 3 times..... and it's still too short.

Dont go ninja'ing anybody that dont need no ninja'ing...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode