that hurt - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
that hurt

Last week my Dad ,my wife and I loaded a load of scrap to sell for a little extra money. We took it in on Monday this week. When we were getting it ready to unload at the scrap yard I was taking the straps off I gave it a jerk to get from the other side of the trailer ( they are the large straps like used on a 18 wheeler). The hook hit me directly in the mouth bursting my lips and breaking my left front tooth. The tooth was broken into 3 pieces and had to be pulled. We had 2900 pounds of junk at $6.00 a hundred. That came to $179. It cast me $200 to get the tooth pulled besides whatever a parcel plate will cost. That was a lot of work for nothing. Oh well that's how it goes sometimes. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to GEMcooter#2 For This Useful Post:
MRB10 (02-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear of the bad experience.

Also sorry to hear that scrap iron prices are down to 6 cents per pound. It has been a couple of years since I last made a load. got 11c at that time.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
GEMcooter#2 (02-16-2017)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
Yes that price is pretty low. Last year I got $11 a hundred at the same place I took this load. But aside of the bad luck that would have been more than I had. So that's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe I'll do better at my first craft show next month. Take care and be safe.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like my luck sometimes, hope you heal up quick

I miss the high scrap prices too, in 2008 I changed out eight Trane chillers, the kids that worked for me thought I was crazy when I had them cutting them apart for scrap, yeah I was copper was right at $4 a pound I got over $10,000 per chiller just in copper

A couple years later one of my buds was needing some money so I told him if he scrapped everything that was left over in the bone yard he could have it, I told him he might get $2000, but if he took one piece he had to take everything, it took him a week to clean it all up but damn I about fell over when he told me he got $8000 for it all, not bad for a week, but he was broke in a couple days LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
GEMcooter#2 (02-17-2017)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
There's 2500 pounds of copper in a chiller?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2017, 10:27 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
There's 2500 pounds of copper in a chiller?

Yep, these were only 200 ton machines, some of the bigger ones would have about 25,000 lbs, that is why they cost so much

I got that account in 1995 when the owners had called everybody in the DFW metromess to get them running and no one would said they needed to be replaced, for $4500 I got them all running and got another 13 years out of them, and made good money all 13 years keeping them running, so it was a win for all of us
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM

View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
That sucks. Hope you heal up soon.

$6/hundred is actually up from what it was a few months ago; about $4/hundred.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode