Woodworking Talk banner

Workbench - basic

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gerry KIERNAN 
#1 ·
I figured if I am going to be doing woodworking, I would need some kind of workbench. I bought a book that talks a lot about woodworking, tools, types of joints and so on and on, but it also has several plans. I got this workbench plan from the book. Nothing special, but I wanted to share. The only thing missing from these pictures is the hardboard that goes on top. I put that on this evening, but was not able to get a picture.

Wall Wood Room Beam Window

Wood Hardwood Plywood Wood stain Wall

Product Shelf Furniture Wood Table

Furniture Wood Table Plywood Hardwood

See less See more
#2 ·
quore 23 Don't short your self on a great job. Not every project has to be all fancy to be a great project. It looks well built and very functional. Not sure about the shop you are going to put it in, but you might think about putting some fold up wheels on it.

#4 ·
Thanks. This is just for me to use in my garage. I would like to put some wheels on it, but not sure what kind to get. Any suggestions other than fold up? Not sure what you mean by that exactly.

I have already started to use the workbench for my next project, a porch swing. I hope to get that finished by the end of spring break next week.

#5 ·
I bought the same book when I started to get serious about wanting to get into this. Built the same workbench. I can tell you one thing...it's a workhorse. That thing will take a beating and then some. It's a great book to start with. The only thing I would have changed with mine is to either make the base a bit smaller or the top a bit bigger. There are many times that I'm wishing I had an overhang to clamp to.

As for the fold up wheels, there was a link to an outfeed table on here somewhere that had what he was talking about. I can't explain them very well as it's early and I'm still drinking my coffee. I can say that if you are going to put wheels on it, that would be the way to do it. Just throwing casters on it seems like trouble. I put wheels on everything in my shop except for my bench.

#6 ·
Quore,
Nice job on a solid bench. Until I saw that last pic I was a little worried, wondering why you built it sideways.:laughing: I am always impressed with someone starting out wanting to do things the right way. I think you could throw an engine block on there and it wouldn't sag. I also like when I see people actually drawing guidelines to place their screws in an orderly fashion. That's a sign of a good craftsman and not a hack. You're off to a good start. Where's the pictures of the porch swing?:laughing:
Mike Hawkins;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.