Woodworking Talk banner

Trammel of Archimedes

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mtairymd 
#1 ·
Build Instructions and animations:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Trammel-of-Archimedes/

This mechanism consists of a base with two slots intersecting at right angles. Two sliders are confined within the slots and are attached to a handle by pivots (screws) at fixed positions along the handle. The mechanism can be used for drawing a perfect ellipse. This is done by positioning a writing utensil at the end of the handle while making a full revolution.

With that said, it is often sold in novelty shops with interesting names like Bullsh*t Grinder, Bullsh*t Masher or Do-Nothing Machine. Interestingly, most of the names are preceded with state names such has Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. I guess that’s how locals make fun of their neighbors.

Video of Build

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#12 ·
Man, I wish I still had my shop. I had built larger ones on plywood that had a router at the end. I could cut just about size elliptical top I needed to. I forgot where the measurements were taken from the two slides had different register pins on them. You can be determine the shape of the ellipse, that is - both the long and short sides by where you set the register pins. This info can be found all over the internet.
Just search for Ellipse Jig, Elliptical Jig or anything similar. They work remarkably well.

#16 · (Edited)
mtairymd said:
You just told me :). I understand spade bits aren't great but the hole did come out very nice. I agree on the feather board - need to buy/make one. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the SMS.
I didn't know you were the same guy or I would have been nicer about it. On a SMS you are supposed to pull the saw out and lower it and push it back in to make the cut. The way you cut it can climb cut. When that happens the saw can pull itself rapidly toward you. Your board as a feather board works pretty good. I do it sometimes, but it would make me feel better if you used a longer board.,I have also heard the devise you made called a smoke grinder. I used to have a cheap plastic one. I discovered putting a little liquid soap in the track made it work much smoother. Oil would have worked, but soap doesn't stain anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.