my new chisels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
View Jimbo.'s Photo Album My Photos
my new chisels

i found a old planer blade which was a really hard tunston and wanted to make a chisel out of it, the biggest one is 3/4" the middle one is 1/2" and the smallest is 1/4" they all work really well, so well infact they are the only ones i use now!! the handles are made out of maple ( well apart from the small one which is beech because i didn't realise till i had finished!!) the only problem is the 1/4" one tends to bend because they are not very thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00117.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	14934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00118.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	14935  

Last edited by Jimbo.; 06-13-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spellin'!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Old School
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I like your new chisels. Great idea, and you did a nice job. Any details about the shape/length of the tang/socket, and the ferrules?

post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Always great to make something outa what most would say OH Well worn out then tossed out.Good Job.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
View BryFry's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Jimbo,

Really like the chisels, did you turn those on a lathe or carve them.

Good to see there are some Brits on here too.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!! Great job. I'm always intriqued by people that make their own tools instead of buying some of the mass produced stuff that is out there on the market. That's just awesome. The closest I have ever come to making my own tool, was once, when I was camping, I cut a 2" diameter log into a 12" length. I held it by one end, and bashed my tent pegs into the ground with the other end. Gosh I miss that tool......

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #6 of 6 Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
View Jimbo.'s Photo Album My Photos
thanks guys, the handles are just a copy of my old chisels and i turned them on the lathe, they are a little big really, might change them one day, but they are strong, they take a bashing with a hammer from time to time really well!! the first one was easy but trying to match the other two was a bit tricky!! i drilled a line of holes into the top of the handle about 50mm (2 1/2") deep to bang the blade into and the ferrules were to start with a piece of brass wardrobe pole but it had a join in it so wasn't very strong so swapped them for the cup which held the pole up in the wardrobe, cutting the planer blade was hard and ended up using about 20 dremel blades!! these are the only chisels i use now i am really happy with them,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode