I was tired of my guitar cases just sitting helter skelter around the basement, falling over and just being in the way, so I decided to rectify that issue. I found some left over redwood in my shop that we built our deck with a few years ago. Since this was going in my unfinished basement I wasn't too worried about it being pristine.
Redwood is relatively soft but I figured these weren't going to see too much action so it would work fine. The nice thing about this project was I wasn't too particular about the finished product after all it was left over decking material.
I smoothed out the rough areas on the 4x4's, sanded it all down, applied several coats of tung oil, and rubbed in a nice wax.
I built this with knock down hardware so I could take it apart before moving. Don't plan on moving but you never know. I'm not sure if I did the right thing with that KD hardware but it's done and it works.
Loaded it up in my truck and hauled it downstairs. Cleaned up a corner and put up my guitar cases and it seems to work fine. Good thing I don't have any more guitars, well maybe I could make another one. I think there would be enough room.
So now its all off the floor and I have more room in my corner for other things musical. The 4x4's are pretty stout and with all the hardware clamped it seems pretty solid. It took me about 3 weeks from start to finish but I don't feel like I rushed, it was pretty simple. Now if only I can find some musical talent.