cordless battery charging station - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View Dwillems26's Photo Album My Photos
cordless battery charging station

I'm slowly adding storage to my garage to regain my workbench. First I installed recycled drawers in an unused space above the dog cage/under my bench. But that left me with another awkward space. I've really been wanting to build a drill cabinet with my chargers etc, but I don't have any wall space. Then I saw this station in shop notes magazine. I modified the dimensions some because my space is limited still, but this worked out great! I need to buy a new surge protector with a longer cord. this is the only one I had laying around, but it works for now.

Oh I need put the drawer pulls on too, but I'll get to it.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Dwillems26 For This Useful Post:
Travico (08-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I think you have made a very nice station.

However, I would never put any electrical equipment like that in shat is essentially a wooden drawer. I want it sitting in the open and preferably on metal or something not readily flammable.

George
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the concern. I believe they are in the open enough that they will be safe. On top of that I always turned off the surge protector before when I wasn't around the garage or yard. Now with it on it's own cord it will barely ever be on. I don't actually store the charged batteries in the charger either. So if i'm charging one they won't all be trying to charge and overheating.

Besides, this is better then on my workbench with clutter all around, sawdust falling directly on them, etc, etc. I really don't have any room anywhere else either. But if I gain room I can (and kind of built this with this in mind) move it to the wall or wherever.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Nice use of space. I think you should be fine as long as you don't leave it unattended. One never knows when a battery will decide to blow up. I had one that worked perfectly for over a year suddenly go boom and it wasn't pretty.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Johnnie. I haven't seen any blow up yet, but i'm sure it's not pretty. I did see an old 12 volt blow up in a lawn mower when I was 12 or so. It was cool then, but really showed me the dangers.

Last edited by Dwillems26; 08-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I had standardized on Makita 14 and 18 NICad tools years ago when they came out. I have killed several batteries forgetting to turn off the power strip all the chargers plug into.
My remedy was a wall mounted shelf over a power strip plugged into an outlet wired to a 2/4/6/8 hour timer switch. The cords/chargers/batteries are all in the open to breath while charging.
When I'm finished for the night I can push the button for how long the charges get power.
No more cooked batteries that are harder and harder to find at battery stores.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode