Building a table saw stand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

View Hubbard's Photo Album My Photos
Building a table saw stand

Had some pretty big plans for my table saw. Then I realized my plans could not work until I upgraded my fence. I realized I couldn't justify upgrading my fence right now because of the money required. then I realized I needed another plan.

My biggest problem with my table saw was dust collection, as in, I have no dust collection system yet. I wanted to build this super awesome table saw/router table workstation from some plans I got with dust collection built in already. Like so (table saw not included in picture)

Name:  image-3094243656.jpg
Views: 3557
Size:  30.8 KB

But that was the original plan which required me to remove my current fence from the saw, and led me to change plans.

I don't recall how I came across the current design, I think I just stumbled upon it, but for what I need to at least get the shop together, it seems very sufficient. My biggest issue in the shop is I've been waiting to get the saw to the desired height, and then build everything else to match it. I also want most everything on casters to be able to move tools to a work bench I haven't built yet, to use it for in/out feed.

Well, this looked perfect:

Name:  image-1361223766.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  34.6 KB

It required a single 3/4 inch sheet of plywood and I had some 48 x 96 OSB lying around so this evening I got to work and here is it where I stand. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures during the build up, but I plan to finish it sans casters tomorrow.

Name:  image-786939555.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  45.2 KB

The angled portion you see inside the case sits underneath a cutout the saw sits on. It is sitting upside down in the photo. This is so I can bore a hole in the back and the triangular section becomes the dust collector. I will bore a hole the size required to use my shop vac, but high enough that I can expand the hole for a true dc system later on. I also plan to use peg board for the sides instead of solid OSB with nails like in the original design.

Any advice is appreciated. I'll post some more photos as I finish it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Finished all except the drawer. I have to go get some hardboard for the bottom. I love being able to roll the saw around the shop now.
Attached Images

post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 AM

View Heath's Photo Album My Photos
Looking great!
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work. It'll make a great addition to your workspace.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
That should serve you well, until you can upgrade to the one you posted on your ipad. It is always great when you can do something to upgrade your DC.

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. With all the tools I have acquired recently, dc is getting to be a problem I need to solve very soon
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
The "Nerdy Woodworker"

View oldmacnut's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to oldmacnut
Looks good.

I have the ridgid r4512, and have been wanting to make something like this, not because I need to, but because if planned out right, man there is a lot of wasted space below and around our table saws. Some well placed drawers, cubbys, shelves, etc and there is excellent storage opportunity.

Do you have any issues with the saw moving while cutting

Sent from my Xoom using Woodworking Talk

It's all fun and games until someone loses the Walnut.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM

View Ebuuck's Photo Album My Photos
mmmmmmmmmm Keystone..........
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I handsome issues with the saw wobbling at first, but I got some better casters and braced it better, now it's good to go. Once I lock the casters it's pretty solid. I built the table behind it up to saw height so I can use it for in/out feed support. The little square hole there is to stor a fence I don't own yet as well. All and all I am very pleased with the results. Here is the finished product.

Thanks for all the comments. And yes,

Keystone is delicious.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode