American Chestnut sign - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

4Likes
  • 4 Post By Tennessee Tim

post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
American Chestnut sign

I forgot to post this project. This is a sign we done for a gift to a client. We had done a tear down trade re some old logs in the structure. Part of the loft in one barn was american chestnut @ 15" wide and 1" thick. This client was very wonderful to work for and was always doing something for us (I thought it was supposed to be the other way around!!! LOL!!!)....so we showed our appreciation.

This sign I designed to look old and not new with age and character....Basically is 2 planks with approx 3" overlayed ends front and back.....old style....lightly sanded at 80 grit to buff off the original rough cut but leave all the character. I had a logo created with the farms name and CNC'd onto the sign....I wished I'd went another 1/8 " deeper due to some slight cupping that left part of the river a little shallow and doesn't shadow quite enough for me....actually the river comes down just below the crack and flows off to the right. I didn't color anything as I wanted the client to have that option and at the time of presentation they were mixed on whether to fill in the river and lettering.

Something different, NO fancy joinery but beautiful!!! (Sorry not all the relief shows up)

Please enjoy!!!!

Name:  IMG_2604.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2615.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2613.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.5 KB

American Chestnut sign-img_2620.jpg
BigJim, J L, Kerrys and 1 others like this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 AM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
Nice sign and nice rig in the background of the last pic.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by J L View Post
Nice sign and nice rig in the background of the last pic.
Thanks and Thanks!!!! My truck just seems to be a photo bomber anywhere it goes!!! LOL!!!! IF I only had a dollar for every pic took of it....well you know....I guess I gotta have something to do with my TIME!!! LOL!!!

Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Unique design, but why the large "open space" on the sign - for additional info? Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Sawing against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Unique design, but why the large "open space" on the sign - for additional info? Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
Thanks...the open area isn't actually open....that is where the boards were slightly cupped down and the cnc needed to be another 1/8" deeper to show up as well as the other. It was a timing issue for me and the cnc guy to be in his shop at same time and he done as I stated on depth, we knew there was a possibility of being shallow BUT I told him to go with it and I'd take it as it comes out.... it is actually there the depth doesn't allow enough shadow or color to stand out...BUT IF I'd told him deeper to start with the main loop would've looked right. He was generous to work it in between some jobs already lined up and being Christmas week.....I AIN'T COMPLAINING!!!! Yes I understand it could've been reprogrammed just for that section BUT he needed the cnc for other projects to finish and at 2 a.m. ain't a time to wake me up for clear answer. I think I have a pic on my GoPro that may do better justice. The depth was another reason the owner may color/paint in the lettering and logo for better perspective.

(Sorry, the GoPro didn't capture it very well either, between the grain , texture, being parrallel with grain, color of wood there....it just isn't photogenic [shy I guess!!!])

Last edited by Tennessee Tim; 01-09-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode