Used radial arm saw advise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

View 44racer's Photo Album My Photos
Used radial arm saw advise

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question on purchasing a used radial arm saw. It will mostly be used on pressure treated wood, dadoing post tops of 4x4's and 6x6's along with dadoing a channel lengthwise on 2x4's. All kinds of misc cutting for fence pickets, etc...

Two saws are available on CL, both are 12" saws, which one is a better?

Craftsman: model #113-23301 and motor is 7.0 amp, 1 phase, 3450 rpm and 220 volt

or

Dewalt model # 7790, 220 volt

The Craftsman supposedly has very little use and the Dewalt probably has normal use for it's age. Both saws look to be from the late 60's -early 70's.
I'm completely open to something different and better for my application.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44racer View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question on purchasing a used radial arm saw. It will mostly be used on pressure treated wood, dadoing post tops of 4x4's and 6x6's along with dadoing a channel lengthwise on 2x4's. All kinds of misc cutting for fence pickets, etc...

Two saws are available on CL, both are 12" saws, which one is a better?

Craftsman: model #113-23301 and motor is 7.0 amp, 1 phase, 3450 rpm and 220 volt

or

Dewalt model # 7790, 220 volt

The Craftsman supposedly has very little use and the Dewalt probably has normal use for it's age. Both saws look to be from the late 60's -early 70's.
I'm completely open to something different and better for my application.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

For crosscuts, either one will cut PT with a proper blade. I would not under any circumstance rip dadoes lengthwise.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (10-27-2010)
post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. We currently use a router for channeling 2x4's but it's very slow and we burn up a regular router pretty quickly, regardless, we're not building cabinets here just rough cutting PTP. Still trying to get a bead on which saw may be preferred by those with experience with them.

Thanks,

Brian
post #4 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman is homeowner quality

I have a 12" Craftsman RAS, it works fine, bought it new in the '70's .
The Dewalt is a commercial saw according to this forum cost new $3000 whereas Craftsman was $500 new.
Go for the Dewalt. Forum link: http://www.woodworking-online.com/fo...ic.php?t=16499

Never rip a dado on a RAS, or anything else you don't want to launch through the wall....unless you know exactly what you are doing and have successfully made one previous launch with no fatalites. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #5 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I definitely launched a board....once! But then I fed it other way and didn't have a problem after that.
Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
radial arm saws take up so much room. the dewalt compound miter slider will do almost every thing a radial will do, plus its portible.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I cant help you on your question but I offer this advise. Buy a good used table saw and a new set of Dado blades. It is the safest way to cut dados. I have 2 RS's, one is a 10" Rockwell, The other is a Craftsman. I love them both. But I just like old tools.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank for the advise, I ended up with this one. Delta 33-421
It's a hell of a saw and a lot more than we need at this time but we'll grow into it and I imagine it will have a long service life.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I definitely launched a board....once! But then I fed it other way and didn't have a problem after that.
Thanks for the input.
Just get the right blade. the dam thing will come right at you in a split second. I don't have one . Like the other post said a slider miter saw would be my choice also.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

The problem with a slider miter is that we are working with 8'-10'-12' long 4x4 and 6x6 posts. Easier to throw them up on the table, line them up an pull, or push from what I've read here.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely

Quote:
The problem with a slider miter is that we are working with 8'-10'-12' long 4x4 and 6x6 posts. Easier to throw them up on the table, line them up an pull, or push from what I've read here.
Just make an extended table like this only longer:

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you want to dado across the tops of posts..
"Hi, I'm new here and I have a question on purchasing a used radial arm saw. It will mostly be used on pressure treated wood, dadoing post tops of 4x4's and 6x6's along with dadoing a channel lengthwise on 2x4's. All kinds of misc cutting for fence pickets, etc..."
Just a simple dado in from the end to house another horizontal board like 3/4" wide, I assume? That would be a snap with the saw set up for this and you can line 'em up and "rip away" ....I mean cross cut....I mean PULL the saw across them. bill
Obviously after reading you first post a sliding miter saw would not work

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode