Three Fences? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

4Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Three Fences?

I have a 113 series table saw that my dad gave me and it has one of those "fences from hell". Now, after my RAS buying spree, I'm saving my $$$ for a new fence for my saw. It is down to the Vega Pro 50, Delta Biesemyer (however you spell it) T2, or the Craftsman Align-a-Rip. I know this is going to be very subjective, but which one in your opinion is the better choice and why and how long should I get? I don't really under stand the length numbers so you tell me please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I own the Biesemeyer

I have 2 Biesemeyer fences and they are both great. The length dimension usually refers to the distance to the right side of the blade. This matters when you are cutting large panels. I sawed my long rail 52" down to about 24" or so because I did not intend to use this saw for panels, only ripping heavy stock. That reduced the footprint considerably and did not require a support to hold up the far end, normally a requirement on the long rails.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...20%26%20Blades

The Biesemeyer is an Industrial duty fence, rock solid and very stout. It squares itself to the front rail easily on lock down, a "necessity". When square to the rail the body of the fence is then parallel to the miter slots when properly adjusted. You may also need a rear "rail" for support, unless you have wide side tables. The fence can ride on a plastic/nylon pad either on the table or on the rail.

No comments on the other two choices.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-20-2017 at 01:47 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I like my Bessies too

post #4 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I am currently using T2/3 fences. I have 3 of them, 2 T2s and a T3. They replaced a Craftsman Align-A-Rip that came with my Craftsman 113.299410. I was having good luck with it. I liked it well enough. I sold it for $175 on eBay and after shipping netted $125. The only reason I replaced it was the very good deal I got on a T-square on Craigslist. I paid $100 for it and it came with a saw. The 2nd one I bought was $100 for the fence and rails. The 3rd one was $50 for just the fence. I like the T-square fences a lot. In my view they are extremely consistent and a very positive locking tool. If these T-squares didn't fall in my lap, I would have continued to use the Align-A-Rip with pleasure.

The 12/24 or 24/24 stands for how much usable cut you will have on either side of the blade. Clearly, the 24/24 can be moved to give you 18/30 or 12/36 by adding some support/extension table and moving the front fence rail. The 24/24 won't really change the front to back distance of your saw but the width footprint, based on the front rail, will be 5 feet plus...61 inches actually.

Consider your footprint carefully when selecting one. Several hundred dollars should net you exactly what you want/need. You asked how long should you get? How big is your shop?

good luck

Last edited by subroc; 03-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

subroc, it's 30'X40'. I wanted to get the longest I could. Better to have it and not need it as to need it and not have it. Thanks
Catpower likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
subroc, it's 30'X40'. I wanted to get the longest I could. Better to have it and not need it as to need it and not have it. Thanks
The only length comment I had was specific to the Align-A-Rip front rail with a general comment how front rail length affects footprint.

I have no clue what the 30'X40' stands for.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
It was the response to your question about the size of mangorockfish's shop.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #8 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
My Delta 36-725 came with the T2 (Biesemeyer?) fence, it is a very good fence.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #9 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
It was the response to your question about the size of mangorockfish's shop.
Thanks.
Cowpokey likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
The only length comment I had was specific to the Align-A-Rip front rail with a general comment how front rail length affects footprint.

That's how big my shop is.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Is the length of fences pretty much a standard length?
post #12 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Interested Observer

Quote:
That's how big my shop is.
Nice

There is clearly enough room for whatever fence and rail system you want.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I recently replaced my really nice Biesemeyer style fence with an even better Incra LS Positioner fence. As good as any Biesemeyer style fence is, it does not have the accuracy and repeatability of the Incra fence. It changes the way you work with your table saw.

Need a skinny piece (as small as 1/32) you can safely cut it by using a wide board, cut a tiny bit off to square up your board and size it to the nearest 32nd inch, subtract the width of desired cut and width of saw kerf (helps to use full kerf 1/8 blades) from the current fence setting and send your board through.

Watch the videos, it really works the way they say it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I don't think there's an actual hard and fast standard, but there does seem to be 2 common lengths, 30 and 52 inches. For what it's worth, my opinion is that the 30 inch length is the sweet spot for most shops, unless you're routinely making 4 foot square pieces from a full sheet of plywood the extra space required could be a bit much. There's something to be said for opening up the floor plan, room to move is severely underrated.

Again though, that's just my personal view. I'm also of the opinion that the table saw isn't the best tool to break down a full sheet of plywood, better to bring the tool to the sheet in my opinion. It gets a little troublesome trying to muscle 80lbs of wood across a table, no matter how big the table is

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #15 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The length of the fence....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I have 2 Biesemeyer fences and they are both great. The length dimension usually refers to the distance to the right side of the blade. This matters when you are cutting large panels. ....
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...20%26%20Blades
Quote:
Click on the link above and read the product description:
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-78-055B...esemeyer+fence

The length of the fence itself varies, in this case 44":
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Power-T...YC0NVK27D3BFP6

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #16 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Of the modern fences, Biesemeyer is the only one I've ever used. I can't imagine any improvement someone could make to the fence.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Terry Q;1613569]I recently replaced my really nice Biesemeyer style fence with an even better Incra LS Positioner fence. As good as any Biesemeyer style fence is, it does not have the accuracy and repeatability of the Incra fence. It changes the way you work with your table saw.

Need a skinny piece (as small as 1/32) you can safely cut it by using a wide board, cut a tiny bit off to square up your board and size it to the nearest 32nd inch, subtract the width of desired cut and width of saw kerf (helps to use full kerf 1/8 blades) from the current fence setting and send your board through.

Man, I looked at those last night and they look like the cat's whiskers to me. I think that is what I'm going to get as soon as I get the $$. Who has the best price on them? I found one place has them for $399. I didn't know if that was good or not, it was only $60 more than what I found a Vega Pro50 for. Thanks.
post #18 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I don't think there's an actual hard and fast standard, but there does seem to be 2 common lengths, 30 and 52 inches. For what it's worth, my opinion is that the 30 inch length is the sweet spot for most shops, unless you're routinely making 4 foot square pieces from a full sheet of plywood the extra space required could be a bit much. There's something to be said for opening up the floor plan, room to move is severely underrated.

Again though, that's just my personal view. I'm also of the opinion that the table saw isn't the best tool to break down a full sheet of plywood, better to bring the tool to the sheet in my opinion. It gets a little troublesome trying to muscle 80lbs of wood across a table, no matter how big the table is
The 52 inch is handy, it is another bench I can pile Chit on LOL
post #19 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
The Delta T2 is a good bang for the buck, but is no Biesemeyer. The Vega is easy to install, and has a great micro adjuster. The Aligna-rip is a step up from the fence from hell, and is a direct bolt on, but isn't in the league of a Vega IMO, or even the T2/T3.
post #20 of 28 Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
I recently replaced my really nice Biesemeyer style fence with an even better Incra LS Positioner fence. As good as any Biesemeyer style fence is, it does not have the accuracy and repeatability of the Incra fence. It changes the way you work with your table saw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now you went and did it, wife thought I was done buying tools for a while LOL That looks like a hell of a nice fence

Yeah I can buy it technically it isn't a tool it is an accessory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode