Table saw blade alignment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

View Kevin Doe's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw blade alignment

I've searched and couldn't find anything that says how to change the blade alignment. I saw many ways to measure the blade alignment, but not actually how to change it. I have a Delta contractors saw, 34-441.

1. How do I change the blade alignment when the blade is in a 90 degree (perpendicular) position? Where is the adjustment actually made? Are the trunnion mounts slotted?

2. After that is finished, I should align it at the 45 degree position. I understand the concept of spacing the mounts to get alignment correct at the 45 degree position. That all makes sense to me. Don't need much help here, other than what are you guys using for shims for the mounts?

Random notes. I replaced the bearings, and cleaned up the mechanicals and put on a link belt. This saw is like brand new. Super quiet as compared to before I made those changes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and recommendations for those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I just found an article by google'ing and I think I answered my own question. Looks like you just loosen the trunnions to adjust. Can someone confirm?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
You're on the right track. I like to loosen all but one bolt on the trunnion and use a rubber mallet to tap the trunnion to align it. I have never shimmed the trunnion to get it perfect at a 45 though, but I know it can be done.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I got the left to right trunnion alignment right. It was off 0.020" from front to back, and I got it to within less than 0.001". Then I rolled it around to 45 degrees to measure again, to make sure the imaginary pivot axis was parallel with the table. It was off by 0.038" front front to back of the blade, and the front trunnion needs to be shimmed down some. I measured all the alignment at 4 locations on the blade, and compared the measurements to only the same location on the front and back. I did this to remove any influence due to a warped blade. Anyone with experience know how much shim would be necessary to correct this, as I don't really know how much it will take to get me in the right ballpark. Also, where do you get your shims?

Some pics of my setup.

Last edited by Kevin Doe; 01-11-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode