Sears craftsman 10" Table Saw. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

6Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

View 154402's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down Sears craftsman 10" Table Saw.

Man I have had a really bad experiance with sears! A friend of my wife's and mine was doing her a favor and bought me a 10 inch sears craftsman table saw for my birthday. Well I made about 30 to 40 cuts ,no longer than 8 inches and 3/4 in. thick. Then the Blade started shaking wildly so bad that I could no longer cut. I checked the manual and did all the checks the manual stated to do. Well I had nothing to adjust everything was as it should be. Any way. I went online and they told me to take it back for a replacement. I just wanted the darn thing to work, fix or repair. The manager at Sears says no problem I need your reciept to replace. I told him I did not have the paper work and would pay to get it fixed. I was then told without the paperwork how did he know that I did not get it at a yard sale. I explained what had happened then was treated as if I had stole the dang thing. He then smiled and said to check online, because they do not fix they only replace. Which they will not do because of the paperwork problem. I went Home 45 miles away by the way so 90 miles round trip and nothing is done. I called Sears in my town, got online. Three darn times... Each one was all too happy to pass me back to the other. Now I have no saw and noBirthday present, My Wife feels really bad about the whole thing. She saved up for I don't know how long to do this for me. It was my first woodworking power tool. I am disabled so it is not like we can just buy another one to replace this one. My family has shopped at SEARS since before I was born. We are boycotting SEARS from here on. I do not need to be treated like a thief, I had the box and everything to go with it. Man I feel so burned about this. I could never tell someone else what to do , But IF I could afford another table saw I would think two or three times about getting one at Sears!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Where is the paperwork and why can't you get it, it has to be somewhere. Maybe your wife's friend can go with you to take it back. Good luck and let us know.
154402 likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
The friend that bought the saw can't be contacted and asked to provide the needed paperwork?
154402 likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-16-2017, 10:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think you need to calm down for one. With no more cuts than that something has just come loose. It's probably a matter of tightening some bolts. Probably when they were assembling it at the factory someone just put the bolts in finger tight and didn't finish screwing them down.

With the saw unplugged see if you can wiggle the blade. If there is some looseness there see if you can find exactly what is loose and tighten it. The blade should only rotate smoothly.

Next see if the pulley has come loose on the motor or the belt tension is loose.
154402 likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

View 154402's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reply's, I checked everything the manual said to check. I had a friend check to see if I had missed something. All he came up with was a slightly bent arbor. Saw blade runs smooth then try to cut 1/4" pine and it wiggles like crazy!!! Blade was trued and tight when we checked. Part of the problem is that the friend died and his wife moved away. I guess I am stuck with it. Metal working friend can use the parts of it.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
It is upsetting to receive a "birthday gift" and discover that gift is defective. However you may have hit on one of the reasons for that TS not running well, the "slightly bent arbor". Consider replacing the arbor and/or have the entire TS checked out by a small tool professional. If you decide to use that TS for parts, you will have to start from ground zero in search for another TS. Be safe.
154402 likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM

View drabina's Photo Album My Photos
He brought Sears product to Sears and wanted to pay to get it fixed. Why should he be turned down because he did not present a receipt?
post #8 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM

View oaklakebob's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds to me like your blade overheated.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM

View oaklakebob's Photo Album My Photos
I'm looking at a 315.272350 saw today. They want $250 CND. Is that fair price?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
He brought Sears product to Sears and wanted to pay to get it fixed. Why should he be turned down because he did not present a receipt?
Because Sears does not do repairs.

George
post #11 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 PM

View Mike in the woods's Photo Album My Photos
If you find out what is wrong with it and need parts this is where I go to get my parts.. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ Quick shipping and have a lot of parts..

Mike

Wood is designed to be made into what ever your mind can think of.... Never stop working towards perfection...
post #12 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
A brand new saw with a bent arbor?

There is a receipt somewhere out there in neverland. If the saw was bought with a credit card (or debit card), there is a record of it. If a check was written, there is a record of it. Cash - might be out of luck considering the circumstances.

How about asking your wife how it was purchased and go from there.

Around these parts, there are repair shops that will repair the saw. Hopefully, there is a shop near you also. Hopefully someone can help load it up and take it in. Take the wings off and the fence/rails. Just take the main part of the saw.

Did you remove the blade and run it unloaded? Did you try another blade?
One last thing. The blade is mounted in the correct cutting direction, right?
Just trying to help.
Good luck.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM

View drabina's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Because Sears does not do repairs.

George
Really? They fix cars, appliances and more. Even if they do not fix table saws in house, they should send OP to the authorized service center instead of ignoring him because of lack of receipt.
MT Stringer likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I got treated worse than that of a thief by Sears years ago with a $600 air compressor. They sent a service guy out and the first words out of his mouth were that I had been running it without the intake filter and voided the warranty. I had only removed the filter that day to check it for clogging.. The darn thing died in the middle of painting a car so I was out the price of the paint and my customer..it's what I did for a living at the time. I basically had to go to their regional offices and make some threats that bordered on outright violence, but in the end I did get a refund. I had to close down my shop for about 6 months waiting for the refund then finally bought a Sanborn comp..
Sears used to stand behind their stuff, but those days are over. I would no sooner buy anything with moving parts from Sears than I would buy a table saw at Bed Bath and Beyond..
That said I do own a Craftsman saw, but it's an older 113 series I bought from a guy on craigslist for $100 which if I were you I would consider.
Check out older saws on craigslist. I haven't read anything good about their 315 series saws, but the old 113 series were good saws and they are plentiful and cheap on craigslist.
I would think that for under $200 you could find a great older craftsman saw that way, but shop around and check it out from elbow to rectum before handing over your cash.. There's some unscrupulous sellers on craigslist, but at least they don't have the backing of the corporate powers to screw you over.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #15 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Start by looking at the simple stuff, belt condition, belt tension, pulleys tight and aligned, motor tight, blade running true without run out, blade washers correctly installed, blade on backward, guard splitter not aligned with the blade, blade not parallel with miter slots, fence not parallel with blade, cutting lumber that is not flat to the table, cutting wood that is not dry. All these simple things can add up to be a real and dangerous problem! Instead of getting flustered... start looking to the simple things first.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I think the OP got mad and left.

Hope not. A lot of experienced folks here that could help.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I think the OP got mad and left.

Hope not. A lot of experienced folks here that could help.
I am not aware, do we have a psychiatrist on here? The OP's real problem is attitude and not mechanical.

He thinks he is correct and it matters not that he is not able to follow established procedures. I do not think we have anybody on here that can help with a problem like that. That is an attitude that we have seen displayed far too often in these modern times.

George
post #18 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
He didn't go about it correctly for sure

You can't show up at a Sears with a"broken" saw and ask for a replacement or repairs without proof of purchase. It could be faxed or emailed from the original buyer and IF you get a manager who is willing to work with you before you piss them off, that would help. It's all about the approach you use.

He should have also started here instead of posting here a rant and as a last resort for help as to the issue.
OH well, we can't fix 'em all.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #19 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I'm sure he's gone, I almost quit after my first post when George complained about it being too long. Not a very diplomatic person, sometimes it's better to say nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
Yes George can be sarcastic at times. I've seen it on several posts as well as my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode