Ryobi BTS21 Dado set and throat plate. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Ryobi BTS21 Dado set and throat plate.

In reading my owners manual, I discovered I need a special throat plate (no surprise there) in order to use a Dado on my Ryobi BTS21 table saw. Where can I obtain such a thing, and can anyone reccomend a good stack dado for this saw? The ONLY Dado I see on the store shelves is the Diablo, I am not sure it is any good, or will even work with my saw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM

View Charles M's Photo Album My Photos
The manual on the Ryobitools.com website says this:

An optional dado throat plate (part number 0134010313) is
required for this procedure. Do not use blades rated less
than the speed of this tool. This saw is designed for use
with a 6 in. stack dado (up to width of 5/8 in.). Do not use
an adjustable dado on this saw.

That gives you the item number for the throat plate (probably have to order it through Home Depot) and the specs on the dado you can use. The Diablo dado you see in the home centers is 8" diameter so it will not work. Freud does offer the SD206, SD306 and SD506 which fit the specs from Ryobi's manual.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM

View Gurnett's Photo Album My Photos
A cheaper alternative is to make your own throat plate using a piece of mdf of the appropriate thickness, the original throatplate and a router. Lot cheaper and ofcourse this way you can make as many as you want.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 PM

View Buffalo Bilious's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure how old your TS is, but if you still have the box, take another look inside. Sometimes the dado insert is included. (at least it was with my cheapo Craftsman)
post #5 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Nope. The Ryobi is an extra cost option.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Freud does offer the SD206, SD306 and SD506 which fit the specs from Ryobi's manual.
What is the difference between those models? I.E. which one would be best for me as a hobbyist / homeowner type user?
post #7 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM

View Charles M's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
What is the difference between those models? I.E. which one would be best for me as a hobbyist / homeowner type user?

The SD206 series is comparable to the Diablo set that you have seen and is great for moderate usage and/or on less powerful saws. Great cuts in all materials

The SD306 is best for solid woods and will work well on most saws.

The SD506 produces the best cut quality in wood, plywood, laminates and melamine. The grind angles are the same as on the SD206 but has twice the number of tips on each blade. Best for more powerful saws and for heavy use.

So if you plan to cut a variety of materials the SD206 is the one that I would recommend for your saw. If you will primarily cut solid wood you should lean toward the SD306.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Wide variety of materials, particularly ply materials... I am going to double check my owners manual. Ryobi is giving me one number, you are giving me a different one, and I highly suspect YOU are the right one, but I want to double check. I can find the throat plate and etc... on a great deal online and am about to order it up...
post #9 of 17 Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 PM

View ajh359's Photo Album My Photos
post #10 of 17 Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Charles,

Just what I thought, YOU had the right answer, Ryobi support was wrong...

I found the throat plate through an Amazon.com seller on the cheap, and I think the SD206 is the Dado set I am looking for. I plan on cutting solids, as well as ply, and MDF.

I kind of forgot about Freud products, which is a pity. The name burned off my circ saw blades years ago... I seem to recall when I worked at Ace years ago, we carried Freud, Oldham, and Ace branded blades. I got the Freud general purpose blades on my circ saw, and I have never had a blade related problem. Should have been the top of my list!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #11 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 PM

View hcristovao's Photo Album My Photos
Hi everyone.

I'm new here and new to woodworking, but excited to get started on some projects.

As for the BTS21 dado throat plate, I found it directly through Ryobi's parts ordering system for $6.51 + shipping.

Follow this link then click:

- "Go to Ryobi Power Tools Parts Store"
- "Repair Parts Catalog"

Then enter the part number 0134010313 and click "options" to the right of the listing once it comes up.

Their ordering system is outsourced and definitely leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ordering ease.

Hope that helps!

Helder Cristovao
www.feesha.com
post #12 of 17 Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

I should have posted this a while back. I got it. The retailer I ordered the Dado set from kept sending me the wrong Dado set though. (They kept sending me an 8" instead of 6"). I sent it back and got a Skil 6" stack Dado set on the CHEAP from Lowes. It works. I have used Freud blades in the past, and REALLY want to upgrade to their Dado set ASAP. This Skil set cuts nice Dadoes for what it is though...

The throat plate came from a store listed on Amazon.com. It cost about $.50 less than the one from Ryobi, but it is just a stamped piece of metal with two screw holes and a specific size slot. AFAIK it is the same one Ryobi ships out...

I haven't done a ton with it yet, but so far, there isn't much I have tried to do with this saw it hasn't been able to do...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #13 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Do you find that the lack of a standard miter slot is a big negative for this saw?

Like I said before, I'm very new to woodworking and I got the BTS21 as a Christmas gift. Had I known how necessary this is, I'm not sure I would've asked for this saw in the first place.

Thanks,

Helder Cristovao
www.feesha.com
The Following User Says Thank You to hcristovao For This Useful Post:
chipmunk226 (12-12-2013)
post #14 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Do you find that the lack of a standard miter slot is a big negative for this saw?
I just got that saw and started useing it last week at work and I gotta tell you the sliding table to me is worth it. It takes a little getting used to it but don't give up on it yet.
The next couple of weeks will tell all.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

I can't add anything that Daryl didn't already say here. The sliding miter table is a bit wierd at first. But then again, This is the first table saw I have owned. I have used a few borrowed ones over the years, and of course the one the school had in high school...

post #16 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. If you have any additional insight, please let me (and us) know!

Helder Cristovao
www.feesha.com
post #17 of 17 Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 PM

View wdsgd's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I sent it back and got a Skil 6" stack Dado set on the CHEAP from Lowes. It works. I have used Freud blades in the past, and REALLY want to upgrade to their Dado set ASAP. This Skil set cuts nice Dadoes for what it is though...

Can you tell me whether the saw will handle a stacked dado of 3/4"? That is the reason I need to get a new table saw, but my shop simply doesn't have the room for a commercial-grade model with a cast iron table. I have to have a portable model, and I'm having a tough time finding one that will allow me to stack my dado cutter on. I have the 8" Freud set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode