Woodworking Talk banner

Rockwell uni-plane

32K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
Years ago,in the first school shop that I taught in, I had a Rockwell rotay-jointer-surfacer more commonly known as a Uniplane. To me, It was a very good machine. Not only could you joint edges but also end grain as well. You could also plane compound miters with it. It had a good guard system and if used properly, it was very safe. I only saw 2 in high school shops and that was years ago. I'm sure they don't make them any more but I could never figure out why. Has anyone here ever used one? Don

#4 ·
Yep, I had the privelege of using one of those very machines myself in my high school days, more than 20 years ago now. I've never seen one in use since. The most practical application, IMHO, was making a square post into an octagon prior to chucking and turning on a lathe....greatly reduced the amount of material that had to be removed once turning began.

regards,
smitty

#6 ·
Is it just me or does it seem like the tool makers are stuck in a rut. It seems like there's really not much inovation going on. if you look at some old tools it's amazing the diversity of design that used to be common. Now, every tool looks just like every other tool.
I've never seen one of these before but it looks like a good design, I can't see why it's not still made. Regardless, thank you, I love learning about cool new (old) tools. I'll bet if this was re-released it would be praised as inginuitive, and forward thinking.

#7 ·
uniplane reply

I'm not certain why the uniplane went out of favor but I have a guess. I believe the machine was probably too expensive to manufacture for the general woodworker, in contrast to a machine like a jointer. I am the owner of one and I wouldn't give it up. I need to sharpen the knives, but even with the knives slightly dull, it's a great machine for squaring up an edge or face. With all the cutting force downward, you can push a wood piece through the machine with one finger. One of the great uses of the machine is taking out warpage. I flaten a board with the uniplane and then use the planer to do the rest of the work. I love this machine. I've seen some messages related to how dangerous it is. Bull. You'd have to ram your finger into the cutting wheel. It's not nearly as dangerous as your standard jointer.

#9 ·
uniplane reply

When I first purchased my uniplane I tried to find cutters with no success. Delta no longer manufactures them. The owner/operator manual provides the cutter sharpening specifications. A good tool shop should be able to sharpen your cutters the the necessary specifications.

Ray Pugh

#10 ·
cutters

There is a tool grinder on OWWM.org that will grind them. "OnTheLevel" just had some made for his uni. OWWM.org also has the drawings you can download. I have ground these before. If you have an old one to go by and the drawings, it is not that difficult. You can buy the tool stock from Grizzly or any tool supplier. It is 1/4" M2 HSS. I would use a lathe tool holder to grind both ends and then cut to length with cut-off grinder.

#13 ·
Uniplane guard

I'm still looking for more info a Uniplane guard. Any info would help. From the remnants I have it appears the angle of the slots are 37.5º, but I have no idea of the other dimensions or angles. A few dimensions or a picture would help. Thanks in advance. Dan

#16 · (Edited)
Good man

Well that Bob Goodman is a good man. Not only did he give me a template for the uniplane, he ended up parting with his uniplane. He had received it as part of a package deal. The previous owner didn't love it very well. I removed all of the cutters today. Six were broken or damaged. Three were loose. The pulleys were beat on so bad I had to straighten and turn them on the lathe. I'm glad he had never used it. Other than that it looks great and is starting to sound better with every step.

#19 ·
Uniplane blade can be bought here!

http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com/sales-specials/items/show/49

I've been looking for almost five years for a set of Uniplane blades and finally found some nice folks at Woodworkers' Tool Works in Wisconsin. They have them in stock or will make you a set fro $120.00. Friendly and knowledgeable. Toll free at (800) 475-9991.

I'm a happy man - finally. I really missed that Uniplane - one of the most useful tools I've ever had.

#21 ·
Uniplane guard template

Bob or Clouseau,
Is that guard template in an electronic format? I just acquired one of these jewels after years of searching but it is missing the guard. I have started to draw one from photos but it sure would be better if I had the template.

Thanks and Happy Woodworking!

#22 ·
Bob or Clouseau,
Is that guard template in an electronic format? I just acquired one of these jewels after years of searching but it is missing the guard. I have started to draw one from photos but it sure would be better if I had the template.

Thanks and Happy Woodworking!
Welcome to the club William. This thread is more than six years old and I doubt if Bob or Clouseau are still here. I've never actually seen or used a Uniplane so I can't help you. Perhaps another member knows the answer.

#23 ·
It is not in electronic form. Do you have the old one? The angle and c-t-c dimension of the slots are important to making it function. If you have the old one you can possible glue is back together and use it as a template with your drill press and a milling/router cutter. There is a guy on OWWM.org that has a NOS one he has been trying to sell. Mine is acrylic instead of polycarbonate. It probably should be polycarbonate. I can send you a template or maybe make you one, but I don't have polycarbonate.

#24 ·
Rockwell uni-plane fence

No, This unit was given to a maker space I am working with and the fence and dust collection fort were long gone. The port we were able to print on a 3D printer fairly easily. My plan is to use Lexan or some other poly for the fence after mocking it up in 1/2" ply. What is an "NOS" one. I am not familiar with that term.

How can I get the non electronic template from you? or at least a copy of it?

Thanks

#27 ·
Alignment Problems

This thread is old, but I hope someone is still monitoring.

I need help. I became an owner of a Uniplane yesterday, purchased from Craigslist. I should have gone over the unit more thoroughly before purchasing. I cleaned it up today to find that the screw shaft's v-groove is hosed (set screw binds when turning the adjustment knob) and the in-feed fence is all out of whack.

There is a screw shaft on eBay that I'll pickup to fix that problem (depending on condition). That leaves the in-feed fence. Anyone out there have an idea how the heck I can properly align it to the other fences? The in-feed fence is bolted (aligned with two dowel pins) to the slide. The slide is bolted to the screw shaft. A gib keeps the slide properly mated to the dove tails. My problem is the in-feed fence starts out as too open then tapers towards the center fence. I tried loosing the two bolts holding the slide to the screw shaft then retightening...no luck. Tried tightening then re-tightening the gib to see if that would help...it didn't.

Anyone have spare parts for purchase? If so, I might need a new in-feed fence and slide.

Any and all insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
Check the three links I have posted above. They are still active. NOS means new old stock. If you don't have a guard to use as a taped down pattern to use with a pin router, drill press, or router with a duplicator bit, you should probably buck up for the one listed. I think I still have access to one to use as a pattern. It would be nice to develop a CAD drawing so someone could use their CNC router to make them. The location and angle of the slots are critical. I tried making them using a router and jig, but eventually went with using the drill press as a pin router. I think I have an extra set of cutters that could be honed and used.
Dan Coleman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.