Planer DeWalt DW734 vs Ridgid R4331 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

View Purrmaster's Photo Album My Photos
Planer DeWalt DW734 vs Ridgid R4331

I budgeted for a thickness planer and have narrowed my options down to two.

The DeWalt DW734 (the 735 is outside my budget) and the Ridgid R4331.

Both are available at Home Depot. The only other place to find these things is at the woodworking stores, where the prices are inflated. Also, the HD is literally 5 minutes away so if I have to return it or something it will be easier.

HD has the DeWalt on sale for $360. Normally it's $400. The Ridgid is at the normal price at $400.

I read some reviews in here and other forums but I was hoping to get some opinions.

I'm currently leaning towards the DeWalt. Partly because of the sale price and partly because I've read good reviews. And my DeWalt random orbital sander has been very reliable.

I'm also slightly concerned that the only planer model Ridgid shows on their website is the R4330. If they haven't updated the site for a revised model it makes me wonder how easy it would be to get service and technical information.

If the answer is that both are fine and will probably do what I need, I'll just get the DeWalt. With the savings I can get an extra set of knives or perhaps an adjustable table I can use to extend the tables.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 12:04 PM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Like many things, it'll really boil down to a matter of opinion. I'm sure both will do a good job...I doubt anyone will come up with any solid evidence that one is clearly superior to the other. I've got the R4330 that I'm marginally pleased with....the R4331 has some updates that I wish the R4330 had. The Lifetime Service Agreement on the Ridgid is a plus. Take an HF 20% coupon with you....

Last edited by knotscott; 08-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
Both will do fine by ya. However, if you take the sale price of the Dewalt to the competitor, they should do a price match plus take off another 10%. That's why I ended up with the Dewalt. Or at least they used to. You NEED to ask for it though, they won't do it automatically.
--Matt
post #4 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
If they won't take the HF 20% coupon get the Lowes 10% from the free USPS moving kit. Just go to the post office and ask for the moving kit with the coupons. I also have the Dewalt 734 and think it is a good planer. I got my for $175 used, but like new condition. I got lucky. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 734 and it's great. I plane a ton through this thing and it gives nice clean cuts.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't believe Lowe's has the DeWalt 734. I know Harbor Freight doesn't. I'm not sure I understand how a Harbor Freight coupon would help me at Home Depot.

I'm going to go with the DeWalt 734. The 3 year warranty on it seems to be enough.

Of course I have to tune the jointer first. I got the knives sharpened and I need to reinstall them. I'm getting *very* non smooth cuts on the jointer and tons of snipe.

But that's another thread I will probably post soon.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM

View VolRouter's Photo Album My Photos
DeWalt 734

I recently purchased the DeWalt 734 new from Amazon and have had no problems of any kind. It seems to be an excellent planer for the money and worked well right out of the box.

I have no experience with the Rigid and cannot offer any opinion on it.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
They dont have to sell the same item to accept the coupon, just a comparable item.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #9 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

So if I bring a 20% off one item coupon to Home Depot, they'll take 20% off of the DW734?

I'm going to have to build or buy a stand for the planer. Though extensions or rollers may not be possible. My "shop" is part of a barn with a dirt floor. Needless to say the surface any kind of bench or table lives on is neither level nor stable. I'm trying to throw down pieces of MDF under the legs of things to create a slightly more stable surface.

But hey, it could be worse. I could have no space at all to work in.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrmaster View Post
So if I bring a 20% off one item coupon to Home Depot, they'll take 20% off of the DW734?

I'm going to have to build or buy a stand for the planer. Though extensions or rollers may not be possible. My "shop" is part of a barn with a dirt floor. Needless to say the surface any kind of bench or table lives on is neither level nor stable. I'm trying to throw down pieces of MDF under the legs of things to create a slightly more stable surface.

But hey, it could be worse. I could have no space at all to work in.
"Cooperation" from HD varies by store and by manager, but it only takes one "yes" to make the deal. Take the coupon with you and tell them you'll buy the planer if they can honor the coupon. Don't be afraid to ask more than one manager or go to more than one store.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I'll see if it works. Even if not, the planer is a fair price.

I got some Madrone recently at Rockler. It seems like nice stuff but the boards have very pronounced wavy ridges on the faces. Do you think the DeWalt will be able to smooth this stuff out? I'm told it's quite hard.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrmaster View Post
I budgeted for a thickness planer and have narrowed my options down to two.

The DeWalt DW734 (the 735 is outside my budget) and the Ridgid R4331.

Both are available at Home Depot. The only other place to find these things is at the woodworking stores, where the prices are inflated. Also, the HD is literally 5 minutes away so if I have to return it or something it will be easier.

HD has the DeWalt on sale for $360. Normally it's $400. The Ridgid is at the normal price at $400.

I read some reviews in here and other forums but I was hoping to get some opinions.

I'm currently leaning towards the DeWalt. Partly because of the sale price and partly because I've read good reviews. And my DeWalt random orbital sander has been very reliable.

I'm also slightly concerned that the only planer model Ridgid shows on their website is the R4330. If they haven't updated the site for a revised model it makes me wonder how easy it would be to get service and technical information.

If the answer is that both are fine and will probably do what I need, I'll just get the DeWalt. With the savings I can get an extra set of knives or perhaps an adjustable table I can use to extend the tables.

Thank you.
I have had the ridgid for i guess 4 or 5 yrs bought it new or just when they first came out. It has work very well for me. It comes with 2 set's of blade's easy to change. I sharpen my blade myself, they are good enough to cut again. I wouldn't buy just on cost my self tho, The ridgid has a life time warrenty on the unit. I have had nothing go wrong. Has dust collection for 2" and 4" hook ups. I have the delta dust collection and very few chip's come out the back. It also has a bed lock for the snip , Mine has none most of the time maybe a little if i am not watching the way the wood come's out even with lock down or not. I would buy another one if i need another one. It plane's 13" i belive and a 1/4" . my 2 cent's good luck on purchase
post #13 of 23 Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Planer acquired. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I've fired it up. Though it will be difficult to really evaluate it until I get the jointer set up to produce perfectly flat boards without snipe and chomping.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 PM

View gobluefan77's Photo Album My Photos
I just purchased the Ridgid 4331 for 339.99 at a local HD. The 4330 is being discontinued and sold for 339.99. The issue for HD is that both 4330 and 4331 share the same sku so if your store has a 4331 in stock it will ring up for 339.99 at the register. It works wonderfully so far! Planing quarter sawn white oak as we speak and it is keeping up just fine. With the Ridgid lifetime warranty, you can't go wrong as far as im concerned. I haven't used the DeWalts but I am completely satisfied with the 4331. Dust collection is pretty good too. Does a great job with a vac hooked up.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
No Longer Here

The R4331 has a manual cutterhead lock, and a chip ejection impeller....two very nice features IMHO that the R4330 does not have. Good luck with yours.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluefan77 View Post
I just purchased the Ridgid 4331 for 339.99 at a local HD. The 4330 is being discontinued and sold for 339.99. The issue for HD is that both 4330 and 4331 share the same sku so if your store has a 4331 in stock it will ring up for 339.99 at the register. It works wonderfully so far! Planing quarter sawn white oak as we speak and it is keeping up just fine. With the Ridgid lifetime warranty, you can't go wrong as far as im concerned. I haven't used the DeWalts but I am completely satisfied with the 4331. Dust collection is pretty good too. Does a great job with a vac hooked up.
Did you find the extra set of knives?? their are under the out feed table. Or at least that's were mine were. I haven't had any problum's with mine and i got it when they first come out. good luck
post #17 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM

View gobluefan77's Photo Album My Photos
No extra set of knives on this end. Just adjusted the infeed and outfeed tables to eliminate all snipe though. There was just a little out of the box.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluefan77 View Post
No extra set of knives on this end. Just adjusted the infeed and outfeed tables to eliminate all snipe though. There was just a little out of the box.
they must have stop that i got a extra set of knives with mine back than. Be sure and call the company and regester your planer. I don't belive they take the warrenty by email. I would also call the company and ask about the extra set of knives. The bed lock also prevents snip . good luck nice unit mine was right on out of the box.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 PM

View gideon's Photo Album My Photos
I'm buying either the Dewalt or the Ridgid planer described here next week.

Was there ever consensus on which it better or it pretty much a toss up? I do like the ridgid lifetime guarantee tho.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM

View Matt tennessen's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
I'm buying either the Dewalt or the Ridgid planer described here next week.

Was there ever consensus on which it better or it pretty much a toss up? I do like the ridgid lifetime guarantee tho.
I own the dewalt but used the ridgid quite a bit a few years back; I think it's a toss up. Both have obvious limitations but I think they surface well. I got a good deal on a barely used one so I can't relate to warranty concerns, but if the ridgid guarantee is low-hassle, I'd probably go for that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode