Paste Wax for TS Top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

View arvanlaar's Photo Album My Photos
Paste Wax for TS Top

Hey folks,

I have read that I can use a paste wax for my cast iron top of my table saw to help prevent rust. Almost everything I have read says to use SC Johnson paste wax for floors. I don't have any of that around here. Can I use another paste wax meant for floors like Minwax paste wax? Here is a link to the product in question. https://www.minwax.ca/wood-products/...-finishing-wax

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think the Minwax paste wax is about the same as Johnson's. I've been using wax on machinery for more than 40 years. It helps prevent rust and also makes for a lot less friction to run wood over the equipment. I normally apply the wax with a scotchbrite pad and then wipe off the excess with a clean dry cloth. You don't want to leave enough wax on the surface to get into the wood and cause problems with finishing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
arvanlaar (02-15-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice from Steve! Also be certain that all surfaces are clean and dry before you apply any paste wax. Once you have a good coat of wax on your TS, it may be easier to prevent most other rust problems. A hardware store may have Johnsons paste wax. Be safe.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 01:07 PM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Lowe's or HD both carry Johnson's.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #5 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I use the minwax, it works just as well. Honestly thought, it's wax, there isn't a huge difference unless you're talking about the finishing waxes like briwax. You could probably rub a candle on your saw and get the same effects, it's just more difficult. Minwax or Johnson, I doubt it matters

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
arvanlaar (02-17-2017)
post #6 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys :) I will be leaving work early and work on my saw tonight. I will post some pics tomorrow hopefully!
post #7 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
Thanks for your input guys :) I will be leaving work early and work on my saw tonight. I will post some pics tomorrow hopefully!
Looking forward to before and after shots! Just be sure that whatever wax you choose does not contain silicone as that will lead to finishing issues later. Renaissance, Johnson's and Minwax should all be good. Again, I use Johnson's from Lowe's (in the cleaning supplies aisle) and it works perfectly.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #8 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM

View joek30296's Photo Album My Photos
Johnson's paste wax here as well. However, wherever you get it from, open it and check to make sure it's still in paste form. The last can I bought at the BORG had somehow turned to a liquid and I had to return it.
Just saying.

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong!"
post #9 of 13 Old 02-18-2017, 10:46 PM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
I use an automotive wax. 100% carnuba turtle wax to be exact. I find it lasts longer, leaves a slicker finish on the saw, and transfers absolutely no residue to the workpiece at all.
Easy to apply, smells good, and a lot cheaper too.
Just make sure you only use 100% carnuba wax, with no additives.
I found 2 cracked cans in a clearance section at a box store over 3 years ago. Still have 1 1/2 cans left, and I wax my tables about once a month. (production shop, medium volume)
Table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, and spindle sander as well.
Don't forget to wax your fence sides as well.

Follow me on Instagram:
"@amanteafinewoodworks"
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
I use an automotive wax. 100% carnuba turtle wax to be exact. I find it lasts longer, leaves a slicker finish on the saw, and transfers absolutely no residue to the workpiece at all.
Easy to apply, smells good, and a lot cheaper too.
Just make sure you only use 100% carnuba wax, with no additives.
I found 2 cracked cans in a clearance section at a box store over 3 years ago. Still have 1 1/2 cans left, and I wax my tables about once a month. (production shop, medium volume)
Table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, and spindle sander as well.
Don't forget to wax your fence sides as well.

Follow me on Instagram:
"@amanteafinewoodworks"
When you say you wax it once a month, do you clean the table first with mineral spirits or so you just apply another application of wax?
post #11 of 13 Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvanlaar View Post
When you say you wax it once a month, do you clean the table first with mineral spirits or so you just apply another application of wax?
I wipe it down and throw a coat on it. I do tend to use it as an assembly surface, so I'll clean off any glue residue etc. And apply a quick coat.

Follow me on Instagram:
"@amanteafinewoodworks"
The Following User Says Thank You to Al_Amantea For This Useful Post:
arvanlaar (02-23-2017)
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 AM

View cseltz's Photo Album My Photos
I use the same product I use on my sailboat. It is a 3M liquid cleaner / wax. I keep a bottle in the shop and use it on all my cast surfaces.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 AM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Bought a can at HD a couple of days ago. WalMart also carries it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode