Opinions on a Toolkraft 452/453? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Ray Waldo

View Radius's Photo Album My Photos
Opinions on a Toolkraft 452/453?

Have the opportunity to purchase a Toolkraft 452/453 with the floor stand, and as I am quite unfamiliar with the machine, I thought I would ask here for opinions. In pictures it looks fine, but I wondered what I should look for, or if I should even look at all? I see its primary use being as a drill press, as that's what I need, but am I better off spending the money on a new drill press, and avoid this all-in-wonder, or would it be a strong addition?

Thanks!

Ray~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 AM
DHP

View DHP's Photo Album My Photos
Opinions on a Toolkraft 452/453?

>Have the opportunity to purchase a
>Toolkraft 452/453 with the floor stand...

I have the bench top version of this drill press. Same head, shorter column. I have had it for about 8 yrs. It's a decent machine. Variable speed DC motor control and very long six inch travel to the quill. The head rotates and has a high-speed router collet on the top that you can turn over for routing. I have done that a few times and it is OK for some things but a bit scary for most with the workpiece between the small table and the cutter. As a drill press it's pretty good and probably on par with higher-end Craftsman presses of the same vintage. The 6" travel is a plus and mine has been pretty stable after some initial adjustment. The entire motor assembly rides up/down on sort of small dovetail ways. The table is pretty true but there is no lift so you have to muscle it into place. I don't find that I move it too often.

Toolkraft is still in business for parts and when I got this machine I was able to get a manual, spare brush set, a replacement feed handle, and a mortising chisel attachment. Toolkraft still has a web site and you may still be able to get parts for this machine.
http://www.toolkraft.com/

I may sell mine soon because I just got a Bridgeport mill and this will be redundant and probably get little use.

DHP
Euclid, OH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode