New Toys - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

View snakedoc's Photo Album My Photos
New Toys

Need advice. Looking to start a nice garage shop. What do you think about this purchase?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Woodwork...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
I think that seller has some stuff that can be nice when refurbished, but is asking WAY too much for a starting bid...

One thing to keep in mind. Sure as they say, they don't make things like they used to. That is both good and bad. There are TONS of safety and functionality features you will get on new equipment that those antiques simply will not have. Even low end stuff will have features the old stuff won't....

If it was me, and I did just recently equip a garage shop, mostly anyway, I would go with new equipment. Less hassle, more function, more safety.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
My stuff is old like that, but I enjoy restoring equipmentent as much as woodworking. You probably will spend another grand min, to get them restored doing it yourself, plus about 50-100 hrs per machine. $3500 averages out to 500 a machine some of them are barley worth $100. $3500 will get you some nice stuff. Even if you don't get new just newer or at least in running order. Depending how much free time you have it might take you 6 months or more just to get them running. I'm new to woodworking myself, but I have been actively shopping for machines for a while. There is a lot of stuff for sale. Follow the bidding on different tools to see what they sell for. Craigs list is good also. I like used. But they are definitely not as safe, and need to be tinker with.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
Yes, I agree with much of the above, but not totally. I saw that post too, and the price he is asking is probably too much, certainly selling it all together it is too much. Also there is not enough information about the machines. I don’t agree about safety however. The old machines are perfectly safe too, IF you do the restoration correctly. Few modern machines have mag starters etc, and many of the old ones did. Guards etc can be replaced. Sure Saw Stop is a better saw, and is safe, but we aren’t talking Saw Stop here. But look at the components here a bit
  • Band saw. A decent saw, (I have the same 20” model myself) but not a great one. How much is it worth? Well, anywhere from about $500 to maybe $2000 if in perfect condition. His looks to be in the neighborhood of $1000, but only if you wanted it. What is the motor? Probably single phase, 1 to 2 hp. OK
  • the planers, well, nice enough machines maybe. But what machines are they? You need to know the model numbers. Those both look to be decent machines. One is a 12” and is probably single phase, guess it to be 2 or 3 HP. Maybe worth $500 if runs well? The other is bigger, 5 hp, maybe an 18”? what phase? Most of these are often 3 phase, do you have the ability? Sure you can get a phase converter, do you have the power in the shop? If it is single phase, and 18”, then it is worth $1500 maybe, IF it runs well. And is cleaned up a bit. (hell, I am looking for that machine, probably a 180 model,)
  • The jointer. Well, looks terrible, but probably does run and can be cleaned up, but at it’s looks, I would say $300.
  • The other jointer is a piece of junk that I would sell for $100 and feel lucky if I got it.
  • The sander is ok, but is not worth much.
  • The radial arm. Well, they are dangerous, as all Radial arms are, but Dewalt was the best, and if you want one, it is a good saw. This is probably, (can’t tell anything from the pictures, a 14” inch one. Good saw, even great saw, but they are going for boat anchors now days, as folks get by fine with sliding miter saws. So it is worth maybe $300.
All these prices are just guesses, and the others are correct in that it will take time to get these all running right and cleaned up. I have rebuilt a lot of old stuff and like doing it. But it isn’t cheap as someone said, especially when you pay a lot like this guy is asking. Notice this post has been there a bit and NO bids. If these were all cleaned up, repainted and looked great, he could sell them all nicely for double probably, depending on what they all are, but he isn’t saying much. I would buy old stuff happily over new, but I buy it one piece at a time usually. If you are still interested, find out for sure what phase all the machines are, the hp, the size of the radial arm blade, etc. Remember there are two planers there, you don’t need two. You will want to sell one. Good luck
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Paul do you go to http://oldwoodworkingmachines.com/ It's great for guys like us that like to rebuild.
They really know there stuff, but it's against there rules to post a item that is currently for sale. I'm going to look at a 18" Jet bandsaw tomorrow that the guy is only asking 350 it's a 93. But then he's selling an 18" Grizzly the same age for 450. The only thing I can think is it might not have a motor. Are you familiar with either of these machines?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

View snakedoc's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you so much to all. Very helpful. One reason my interest was peaked was it's proximity to my home town. I will watch the bidding and keep my eyes open. Thanks again
G
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul K
Yes, I frequent that site a fair amount. True, that site is quite a bit different. They do know their stuff, very much so. A GREAT resource. Probably go there a couple times a day when it is raining like this week. Yes, you can't post stuff about live auctions on that site, for sure. I am certainly familiar with both machines, but I haven't owned either one. So take any opinion with a grain of salt. First, back in 93, I would say that Jet was maybe better? I have had a Grizzly jointer that I wasn't that pleased with. I think they did their importing (wasn't it Shen Shing or something like that?) without a hell of a lot of engineering and designing themselves. I think that it is better these days. My complaints about the jointer is that it vibrated too much. I was spoiled perhaps. I never had a jet jointer or bandsaw, but do have an old jet DP that was from the 70's and it has always been a pretty good DP, better than a Delta that is from the late 90's frankly. A bandsaw is not a super complicated machine, but it does have to be balanced. Blades moving forward or backward can be cleaned up by tuning, but a machine that vibrates under power, (WITH A BLADE) is more hassle. I suspect that the Grizzly probably "looks" like more of a machine than the Jet, from that age. But hell, if it doesn't vibrate, tires are ok, (if not it is another $80 or so, plus work?) and there is adequate power, then fine? Might look at the dust collection, though i haven't ever thought that it was such a big deal with a bandsaw as with other machines. Guides, both are pretty similar aren't they? I don't use Carter guides though some like them a lot. I have the old metal block guides that seem to work fine and you can dress them yourself. If missing a motor, they aren't direct drive either of these, so one would think that a motor is not TOO big a deal, as they are only 1 to 2 hp? good luck
paul
post #8 of 8 Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM

I bought the jet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode