Need help with Craftsman tbl saw/flex shaft - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom

View tpf229's Photo Album My Photos
Need help with Craftsman tbl saw/flex shaft

I recently got a craftsman table saw model 113.241691,,,, 10" with a flexable shaft at an auction. There is a little rust and I am sure it has not been used in a long time. When I turn it on, the flex shaft wobbles badly and saw will not get up to speed. It has even tripped the breaker. I have disconnected the shaft and oiled what i could. Do I need a new flexable shaft? Is there a kit to change it over to belt drive? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like you have some good news and bad news. Bad news is that you're probably correct in that the flex shaft is going south. Good news is that they are still available from Sears: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...dMod=113241691

More bad news: The part is nearly $100.

I know a guy who has had one of these saws for years and is perfectly happy with it. He uses it a lot, too. If you put a new flex shaft in it you'd probably be good for years.

Swapping the saw to a belt drive, from what I've read, is very impractical. Maybe someone could chime in here who knows whether it's possible to disassemble and lubricate the flex shaft.

A couple of things to check: Does the motor run smoothly with the shaft disconnected? Does the blade and arbor turn smoothly when the shaft is disconnected? If both of those are smooth, it's likely the flex shaft is the culprit.

Bill
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I also own a Craftsman flex drive and while the cable jumps a little at start up it comes up to speed and cuts very nicely. Its the inertia causing the jump. You turn on the power and suddenly a flexible cable that was at rest is being spun at 1300 rpms against and stationary arbor with a 10" blade bolted to it. The blade wants to stay still until the cable over comes inertia and makes it spin. If the cable doesn't jump a little, it will break....

If you are tripping breakers, make sure you have it plugged into a 20amp breaker and not a 15amp. If it were the motor pulling that much the thing would not turn at all.

There is no practical way to convert these saws to a belt drive. The casting on the table for the arbor forbids it.

If your saw is like mine, the motor has oil caps on both sides of the armature shaft. Try a few drops of 3 in 1 machine oil in each cap. Pull the cable assembly off completely and remove the cable from the housing. Clean the housing as best as you can with mineral spirits to remove old caked on grease (a bore brush for a 22 works good. Tie a length of wire to it, thread the wire through the cable housing, and work the brush through), then butter the cable with regular automotive bearing grease and slide it back into the housing. I do mine twice a year and it works like a charm.

Another thing to try is change to a thin kerf blade. I just did this and it has cut down on the cable jump and the motor isn't working as hard as it used to to come up to speed or to cut hard woods. I just used it to resaw a chunk of 8/4 Walnut 6" wide by 6 feet long without any hesitation at all.

They are good weekend saws, but they need a sharp blade and proper maintenance to keep running.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Ever wonder why more saws don't have that drive system?
I would look for a saw with a normal belt drive.
I know, it's not what you wanted to hear, but.......
Got a scrap metal buyer near you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode