miter saw blade wobble - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
miter saw blade wobble

i have a dewalt 12" dw705 miter saw that has picked up some blade wobble as it spins. it is actually visible - it will run smooth, then wobble, then smooth, etc.. it is not the blade, as any blade i install does the same thing. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before i dig in. elsewhere i read about possible blade washers being the problem?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Not the blade heh?

Three possible issues: bad blade, loose blade or washers, bad arbor bearings. That fact that is comes and goes is interesting. Does it produce a kerf that's wider a than usual? Or does it settle down in use? Interesting issue! I'm thinkin' the arbor is worn or loose if it's a belt drive. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Three possible issues: bad blade, loose blade or washers, bad arbor bearings. That fact that is comes and goes is interesting. Does it produce a kerf that's wider a than usual? Or does it settle down in use? Interesting issue! I'm thinkin' the arbor is worn or loose if it's a belt drive. bill

TimPa I was going to post what I was thinking your problem was. But Woodnthings took my thoughts. I agree 100%. That Woodnthings guy is a smart guy. Handy

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

all blades i install do the same thing. kerf is wider (blade is wobbling). it doesn't settle, at least after waiting 5-10 seconds or so. direct drive. anyone else have this problem?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Loose Bearings??

Can you detect any unusual bearing noise when the saw is running? Take the blade off and check for any loosness in the arbor/shaft. I would hate to think it could be bad bearings at the end of the motor.

I have the same Dewalt 12" miter saw. So far, no problems, but I'll be sure to check for that when I get out to the shop.

I know a blade wobble can be irritating. A friend of mine has a slight bend/warp or twist in the arbor on his table saw - just enough cause some minor blade wobble and really pi$$ him off. But he's too cheap to buy a real saw so he compensates for the slightly larger kerf (and probably sands more saw marks).
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

just got done re-assembling it. another site mentioned the blade washers if you encounter a big blade jam, there are 3 there together around the blade. i vaquely remember a jam i had with it a couple of building seasons ago. erplacementparts.com has nice part breakdowns for these saws. there is a single gear reduction box on the output of the motor. i tore down and lubed. seems to have made an nice improvement, but not gone. half-a$$ed tried prying the two bearings off but they didn't budge. may just buy the assy and washer pkg.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
anderson958 (07-26-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode