Woodworking Talk banner

Just another "is this the right table saw for me?" post

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Daren 
#1 · (Edited)
Well,

As all started with me building a little picnic table for my girls to a little coffee table and a little gazebo, all with small power tools and hand tools, now for some reason I am thinking bigger and "craftier".
I need to rebuild my fence but now I think different, I don't want a plain dog ear fence, no I am thinking of a vertical fence with different widths and different finishes....... and all of sudden it hit me. I am really loving working with wood!!!! Is this common?

So now, for me to build the fence I envision, I need to get a table saw. I have been researching good options for me and I can't justify "just yet" a 1000.00 saw. I have been lurking into craigslist for 2 weeks now and I saw a couple of old saws and I have 2 that I need some advice with.

I "think" I need a bench saw with a table I could move or a portable saw, I think that I would try to build a closet and some other stuff later so..... back to my question.

Behind door number one

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/770081360.html

Behind door number two

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/766048438.html
Waiting for model info as well

Behind three

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/766224963.html

Craftsman old 113299040

thank you for the help

See less See more
#2 ·
Chinobox, personally I like whats behind door number 3. Now thats just the assumption that the saw isn't rusted and everything functions properly with it. The good thing about door number 3 is the price for the saw. 125.00 seems pretty reasonable for that saw and if you don't end up really enjoying woodworking than you're not out too much. Thats not to say that, that saw is the best saw of the 3 but I think for the price you could upgrade the fence and have a pretty decent saw. Either way, do some research with all 3 saws and see what you can find out. welcome to our addiction and I hope you have some fun.

#5 ·
What aspects of a given saw are most important to you? While door #1 houses a nice portable jobsite saw, doors #2 and #3 both appear to be full size cast iron contractor saws with belt drive induction motors. The portable Ridgid is certainly capable of good work, but it's advantage lies in it's portability. If you've got the space, a full size saw has more advantages and more potential IMHO. The'll have a larger surface area (especially in front of the blade), more mass and stability, will be much quieter, and will accept many standard add-ons. Both 2 and 3 will benefit from an upgraded aftermarket fence, but both are very expandable for new wings, motor replacement, fence, miter gauge, etc. The guts of that old Emerson made Crafsman (#3) are essentially the same as the new Ridgid contractor saws....the bolts on are the major differences.

#7 ·
That ought to get you started. I have used a saw exactly like that, worked for me. WAY more saw than you can get for 2X the money buying a new Craftsman, sorry but the new stuff is just junk. You should be able to find a miter gauge pretty easy since that one is broken/missing parts. (the picture below is what the whole thing looked like, I actually have one in my shop I still use) Like knotscott said in his post that saw table will accept an aftermarket fence and miter gauge that will make it even better/easier to use for you down the road if you want to invest in them. The motor should not give you any problems,it if does they are replaceable and easy to find.
Cool, stick around and show us what you build. ;)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.