joiner identification - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

14Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
joiner identification

Intro, I'm retired active duty USAF after 24 years, grew up on a cattle farm/ranch in South Dakota...on to the question.

Dad bought this joiner at an estate sale; the previous owner was a cabinet maker. The stand isn't much to look at, but it all works.

Heavy cast iron, the only draw back is adjusting it with the fence attached to each to each end.

Dad brought me a bunch of red oak from trees he cleared off some of his property in southern Missouri, ran through his saw mill, and sent through his big planer.

I'm not new to wood working, but getting back in to it after a 25 year break.

Put all the lumber up in the attic above the garage, which is turning in to my home shop.

FWIW, the Ryobi stand under my Dewalt 716 miter saw is great. Have a lot more tools, but still need a table saw...

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Early Craftsman?

I recognize the Craftsman motor underneath and there is an oval logo on the blade guard. It may say Craftsman or Dunlop?, the "lower price" line Sears sold. Check it out. Nice score of wood there!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You already know it was made by Boice-Crane. It's seems to be a earlier model 1400 made in around 1938. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=17078

post #4 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You already know it was made by Boice-Crane. It's seems to be a earlier model 1400 made in around 1938. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=17078
That's it! Thanks. To be honest, I took the lazy way out, since I was tired and posting a thread seamed like an interesting conversation starter.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
just chiming in - gotta love the name COWPOKEY!!!!!
Cowpokey likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
That's it! Thanks. To be honest, I took the lazy way out, since I was tired and posting a thread seamed like an interesting conversation starter.

And thanks for you service, USAF 1972-76
post #7 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
And thanks for you service, USAF 1972-76
Thanks for yours as well.
Catpower likes this.

- Frank Sinatra
post #8 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
thank you both!

1st TFW Langley '74-'78
Catpower and Cowpokey like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Got a new table saw today. Went shopping around here yesterday with my Dad, and he asked me what my next machine was going to be. I told him I was going to buy a table saw. So while I was at work today, my folks and my wife went shopping. I'm pretty much ready to go. Need more tools of coarse...never ending journey.

Dad sold a bunch of cattle a couple weeks ago, guess he was just looking for an excuse to give me a house (garage) warming present since I retired from the military and finally bought a house (2015). He told me a couple years ago that he's giving me all of his woodworking tools/machines when he's done with them. Now he jump started me in to getting going. Not the fanciest saw in the world, but I'm pretty happy with it. Dad said if I don't like it, bring it down to his place (1,000 miles away) and I can have his table saw...he likes the new one he bought me better.

Got it all put together, everything is true/level/square. I'm a perfectionist, so it was tedious getting everything just right.

Toolman50 and Catpower like this.

- Frank Sinatra
post #10 of 28 Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

I think I can get the tables and the fence cleaned/shined up with some WD-40 and elbow grease; to wipe away the little bit of rust and grime on the jointer. The cutting blades look like new. I doubt I'll do any kind of "restoration" on it, I'd probably do more harm than good trying to make it look pretty. I got it set up last night, and it works like a champ. Will work on cleaning up the important surfaces so I can make it "bling" where it works.

- Frank Sinatra
post #11 of 28 Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

The tables and fence are really cleaning up nice with just WD-40 and paper towels. Spayed the surfaces down, going to let them soak until morning or noon, dang it's late already; then see how it cleans up.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of WD-40, but it meets my expectations for getting rid of grime.
Catpower likes this.

- Frank Sinatra
post #12 of 28 Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 AM

If it were me I would go over the table and fence with an orbital sander with 220 grit paper. Then use a scotchbrite pad with some paste wax.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Quote:
If it were me I would go over the table and fence with an orbital sander with 220 grit paper. Then use a scotchbrite pad with some paste wax.
220 is pretty rough for what I need to do, but I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Frank Sinatra
post #14 of 28 Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
220 is pretty rough for what I need to do, but I appreciate the advice.

220 on cast is a lot different than wood. It's more like 400 grit on wood. I use it on my machinery and it leaves it smooth as silk.
Toolman50 and Cowpokey like this.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Quote:
220 on cast is a lot different than wood. It's more like 400 grit on wood. I use it on my machinery and it leaves it smooth as silk.
I'm going to test it out with my orbital sander, on the part of the table that sticks out for the safety guard. Will post back the results. Thanks again for the advice.

- Frank Sinatra
post #16 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

220 grit on my orbital sander and mineral oil, then scrubbed with scotchbrite pad, before and after "test". Works very well.

Catpower likes this.

- Frank Sinatra
post #17 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Quote:
Thanks for the advice (again), greatly appreciated.

Spent a couple hours in the the "shop" cleaning up the jointer, used 220 grit sand paper on my orbital sander with mineral oil for lubricant and cleaner; then wiped down real good to get all the grime off and did a final cleaning with acetone. Used a scotchbrite pad to put a nice layer of Johnson Paste wax on the tables and fence, used a buffing rag to wipe off the excess wax and buff. The almost 80 year old jointer has silky smooth tables and fence now.

Before:

After:

Cleaned off the new table saw cast iron table with acetone and put paste wax on it too.

Everything is smooth as silk!

- Frank Sinatra
post #18 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice (again), greatly appreciated.

Spent a couple hours in the the "shop" cleaning up the jointer, used 220 grit sand paper on my orbital sander with mineral oil for lubricant and cleaner; then wiped down real good to get all the grime off and did a final cleaning with acetone. Used a scotchbrite pad to put a nice layer of Johnson Paste wax on the tables and fence, used a buffing rag to wipe off the excess wax and buff. The almost 80 year old jointer has silky smooth tables and fence now.

Before:

After:

Cleaned off the new table saw cast iron table with acetone and put paste wax on it too.

Everything is smooth as silk!
I have to deal with rust often. My shop is incomplete and have one wall that still needs to be built. If I forget to cover my jointer with a tarp I usually have my jointer get rained on. I get really crusty rust where I have to scrape it off with a glass scraper before using the sander. I got started using the sander because it was too time consuming to rub the rust off by hand.
Cowpokey likes this.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Got Sawdust?

Cool

Quote:
I have to deal with rust often. My shop is incomplete and have one wall that still needs to be built. If I forget to cover my jointer with a tarp I usually have my jointer get rained on. I get really crusty rust where I have to scrape it off with a glass scraper before using the sander. I got started using the sander because it was too time consuming to rub the rust off by hand.
I thought I was going to get it cleaned up with WD-40 and a gasket scraper. While that did take a lot of the nastiness off, it was still pretty rusty. The sander with 220 grit made short work of the grime. I could have spent more time getting it better, but it is just discoloration from the rust now. For a machine that's 70-80 years old, it looks pretty darn good right now.

- Frank Sinatra
post #20 of 28 Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Looks is unnecessary. As long as the machine top is smooth and works well that is all that matters.
Cowpokey likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode