Ideal height of router table? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Ideal height of router table?

Here's a basic one:

What height do you like best for a router table surface? Why?

Thanks for input
Steve El
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM

View Rick Mathison's Photo Album My Photos
You will see alot at 36". It is counter top height and a good general working height. You can also build them the same height as your table saw so that it can be utilized as an outfeed or infeed table.

Rick
post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick,

I should have mentioned that I'm making a table that I won't use for any other purpose. Since it will be dedicated, it can be whatever height I want. Is 36" going to be comfy for a 6-ft guy doing most router table tasks? (Certainly, I could just do a bunch and find out, but thought I'd ask)
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
My router table height is about 2" below my navel. With push pads I can get good downward pressure with full control.

DUNNO

Seems to work for me.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 AM

View johnnyb's Photo Album My Photos
I will be building a router table also in the near future and it'll be about 34-36 inches tall. I have a small workbench that is 35 inches tall and it is very comfortable for me (I'm 5-7).

JB
post #6 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
It varies. If I'm cutting smaller pieces, I'll have the table higher. Larger pieces, lower.

Experiment on temporary heights till it feels good.

Harrison, at your service!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You can find a comfortable height with just experimenting. But I find if the height is low enough to exert pressure, it may be too low for extended working times. It doesn't take long for your back to react.

For short durations, bending over may not be an issue, but some procedures could take hours. When doing testing, think about having to profile/machine long lengths, where you will be having to take many steps and hand over changes to run pieces through.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (01-23-2011)
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if this will help but Wood Magazine just answered a question concerning the best workbench height. They say the standard is 34". Also, they say a top 1 or 2" less allows for more leverage when using hand tools. As a rule of thumb they say make your workbench height the distance from the floor to your first thumb knuckle, with your arms hanging relaxed at your side. I believe this should get you close to a height for your router table.
Tom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomC For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (01-23-2011), Woodmaster123 (03-29-2012)
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
pope of chilitown

View timmybgood's Photo Album My Photos
I have this table

mounted on this rolling chest

so that puts the working surface at about 49" which does seem high when you think about it. but i'm 6'1" and i've found that my router is probably the most comfortable tool to use for long lengths of time. when working for long periods on my other surfaces (work bench 30" table saw 33") i can feel that my upper back and neck/shoulders start to get sore from bending over so much. also you should not need to put excessive amounts of down-pressure on your workpiece when routing.
The Following User Says Thank You to timmybgood For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (01-23-2011)
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Same as TS's,which is the same as shapers,which is the same as egde sanders.Kinda lazy that way.

A 6-8"pc of steel angle mounted vert. on each corner with nut welded on outside crnr and you have the abilty to turn adj bolt down,allowing for lineup and stability when needed.A few holes,countersunk....and some screws mounts them.Not the "final answer" but on any liteweight equip,its quick painless.If wheels or heavier equip is on menu,you'll have to run a perimeter frame connecting these verts.Best of luck,BW
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (01-23-2011)
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for great input!

I guess I'll go ahead and build the "legs" part of the Shopnotes folding design after all.... much easier clamping at any height than the top alone, and I guess I do like it up higher for some tasks.

Bonus points to H.A.S. for this excellent dating advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. A. S. View Post
Experiment on temporary heights till it feels good.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I built my router table stand so the table top is the same height as my workbench and table saw: 36". That's a comfortable work height for me (I'm 5'9"), plus I can move the router table up against the workbench or saw to use them as auxiliary tables.

Incidentally, I made the router table mobile by putting four locking swivel casters under it. That didn't work out as well as I planned because even when locked, the casters let the table move a bit. I have to re-engineer that feature.

This thread got me thinking about machine work heights. I got a nice Shop Fox 14" band saw last year and I knew it had a high table. I just checked and it's 45". It's a good height, though, because it lets me easily see the cut line.

Bill
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
dodgeboy,yes the bandsaws seem to rise above their neighbors in a majestic sort of way.Just sayin

Steve,our router table is a Maple lam.,cutout from a sink with Aluminum insert...yadayada.But it does have a full-on cabmet under it.Reason for post is that if you're gonna run a cab under,think about const in a way that you can fill the bttm 4" or so with concrete(sakrete,U-mix).........and as always you need to paint or stain the thing.Its so much more professional looking.Best of luck,BW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode