Hook and Loop VS PSA - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

View stev's Photo Album My Photos
Hook and Loop VS PSA

does anyone have an opinion of the Hook Loop pads VS the PSA (glue backed) pads? i am looking at the porter cable 390K (http://www.cpoworkshop.com/sanders/l...ders/390k.html) this unit is available supporting both, for the same price (well, the PSA versions are the same price, but dont seem to include the case). why is one better than the other?

thanx

Last edited by stev; 10-23-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I have both type, the glued pads are cheaper.
Only thing I see different.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM

View zaccodie's Photo Album My Photos
I have both, the pads last longer with hook and loop
post #4 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
The PSA pads are basically shot when you remove them from the sander while the H&L pads can be removed and reinstalled many times over. If you are constantly changing grits of paper while sanding a project, the H&L pads will be cheaper to use in the long run.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
red
NC Mountain Living

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Hook and loop are the way to go. I tend to change grits before wearing them out, so the psa does not work. Red

Red
post #6 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
hook and loop

I have hook and loop - I often change it before it wears out. I don't know too much about the glued variety, but think that they would unusable after use. Just my .02
post #7 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I save and put the backing paper back on the
glued pads all the time, no problem.

When they are worn, I fold the glue sides together
and save them for detail sanding, I waste nothing.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 AM

View Saleen4971's Photo Album My Photos
H&L are great. much easier to put on/take off
post #9 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM

View Cedar Plank Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Hook and Loop VS PSA

I am sooo fed up with hook an loop pads!!! They don't last too long before the sand paper won't attach any more. PSA pads do what they are made to do. If the plain PSA type pad is dirty use some simple green or windex and "sand" the rag with the cleaner on it, then "sand" a dry rag and the PSA paper sticks for a long time. Hook and loop wears down and is never repairable!! We need to stop buying H & L pads from here on out! You used to be able to buy a sander with PSA pads now they are forcing us into those H & L POS! Notice that the H & L sand- paper costs 2-3 times more per piece, than PSA sandpaper. I just replaced a Portercable H&L pad on 3/11/11 and 19 days later it could not hold a brand new piece of H&L paper. I used this sander maybe 20-30 hours in that time. Here is a prime example of things that make you go hmm...
post #10 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 AM

View mveach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Plank Guy View Post
I am sooo fed up with hook an loop pads!!! They don't last too long before the sand paper won't attach any more. PSA pads do what they are made to do. If the plain PSA type pad is dirty use some simple green or windex and "sand" the rag with the cleaner on it, then "sand" a dry rag and the PSA paper sticks for a long time. Hook and loop wears down and is never repairable!! We need to stop buying H & L pads from here on out! You used to be able to buy a sander with PSA pads now they are forcing us into those H & L POS! Notice that the H & L sand- paper costs 2-3 times more per piece, than PSA sandpaper. I just replaced a Portercable H&L pad on 3/11/11 and 19 days later it could not hold a brand new piece of H&L paper. I used this sander maybe 20-30 hours in that time. Here is a prime example of things that make you go hmm...
Thats interesting. I have used the H&L for many years on different sanders with no problem. Don't know if I'm lucky of you're unlucky.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer hook and loop. Easier, can be switched and then reinstalled and I feel they do a better job.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Plank Guy
But how do you REALLY feel about H&L pads? lol

I preffer h&l... For the same reasons listed a dozens times above...

~tom
post #13 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
i use PSA

I have 3 dynabrade air sanders and use Mirka PSA. I just grab what ever sander I need. For me it works really well.

jraks
post #14 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
H&L on wood stuff.......works well enough here.

Glue,on the high speed air sanders in the welding shop.They work but are a pain to remove.BW
post #15 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
i have found that some brand of discs will not stick worth snot! others, perfect.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have the ridgid 6" hook and loop for a couple yr's now and i use it every day and change back and forth grit's. It still works as good as the day i bought it. Maybe the new pad you got was def. ?? I would buy another hook and loop . My 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode