• 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 2 Post By allpurpose
  • 1 Post By shoot summ

post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

View clschaffer's Photo Album My Photos
Help With An Air Compressor

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for info regarding an Industrial Air Model #ILA1683066 air compressor. Features a 1.6-HP, 30-Gallon, Belt Drive, Cast Iron V-Twin Cylinder Pump •Durable & dependable performance drives many air tools •Produces 6.2 CFM at 40 PSI; 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI •Operating pressure 105-155 PSI with 155 PSI max.

I'll mainly use the compressor for blow cleaning and a few other minor tasks. I don't know that I'll add any air tools or not. I don't believe it'll handle an air sander, but then again I don't plan on purchasing one either. Reviews for this compressor seem to be scarce. If you can shed some light on this compressor based off the specs I've provided, or if you have or have used one and can give me your thoughts I'd truly appreciate it. Is it a quality unit, does it offer enough pressure to perform the minor tasks I've provided etc.

Thank You,

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Not for air tools

For most uses it will be fine like spray painting, and inflating tires etc, but it doesn't have enough CFM for air tools. Your best bet is to check the CFM requirements on the spray gun or any devices you have in mine. As usual, bigger is better and insurance down the road. That's how I ended up with 4 compressors, a 1 HP home built, a Porter Cable pancake, a Harbor Freight 2 HP, and a 5 HP 80 gal vertical....
clschaffer likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For what you state that you need a compressor to do it should be fine. You did not state a price. I have never heard of ILA.

George
clschaffer likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 AM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like Northern Tool sells that brand, similar unit on their site with 28 reviews.

It is not an oil less unit, so it has that going for it. The oil less pumps have their place, but not on a stationary unit.

What I have learned about air compressors, never could afford the one I wanted, always suffered with a compressor that was too small until a few years ago. You will always find more to do with more air capability.
MT Stringer and clschaffer like this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The compressor you are looking at would handle an air sander however I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you have to. The real purpose of an air sander is to be able to sand in an a area where there is paint fumes. An electric orbital sander will do the same work but the spark the motor creates is hazardous around paint fumes.
clschaffer likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Size matters in a small shop. Air compressors come in several configurations. For a small crowded shop, choose a compressor with adequate CFM but with a smaller footprint. An upright unit takes up less space than a horizontal unit. A compressor on wheels is another added plus.
An easy access drain valve is important as well as large visible gauges you can read easily.
A compressor purchase is a long term purchase, easily lasting up to 20 years.
clschaffer likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I currently have a dinky HF 8 gallon, 2hp compressor which is fine for most things I'm going to use it for here, but it would never in a million years handle any kind of significant air sanding.
I used to do autobody work for a living and those tools required considerably more CFMs , minimum 60 gallon tank, etc.. There are a few sanders on the market that don't need as much air, but they're generally more expensive. A cutoff tool? Forget it. They're real air hogs.. Paint guns don't require a lot of air.
Unless you're going to be sanding cars and trucks every day for body work what you are looking at is probably just fine.. a larger tank is really good for reserve air so the compressor isn't running constantly.
woodnthings and clschaffer like this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The compressor you are looking at would handle an air sander however I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you have to. The real purpose of an air sander is to be able to sand in an a area where there is paint fumes. An electric orbital sander will do the same work but the spark the motor creates is hazardous around paint fumes.
Paint fumes are one Steve, wet conditions are another.

I use air for all of the stone work I do, lot's of water in that environment.

Air sanders are much more powerful to me as well. If you have the air, they are well worth having around.

The amount of air you need, depends on what you do.

I do way more than woodworking in my shop. Metal work likes air, cutting, grinding, shaping, and blasting, they all use quite a bit. So does stone work, and mechanic work. I started this time with a 60 gallon 5HP 2 stage(used), the pump died so I upgraded to a pump that is capable of producing 17CFM at 90psi. The weak link now is the 5HP motor. I can keep the compressor running non-stop when I am blasting, or shaping and polishing stone. The motor gets too hot for my liking so I have to keep a fan on it. When it dies I will step up to a larger motor.

I never would have thought I would be doing this much when I bought a Cman 33 gallon oilless compressor 12 years ago. In hind sight I wish I would have saved that money, and bought a larger unit initially as I was always waiting on that compressor to catch up.

Here is the comparison of the pumps, old is on the left.

clschaffer likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
For what you state that you need a compressor to do it should be fine. You did not state a price. I have never heard of ILA.

George
The Industrial Air compressor is $619 no tax due to being sold online and free shipping.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank You All For Your Input,

Sounds as if all in all this compressor will work just fine for what I'm needing. I appreciate everyone taking the time and giving me some insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode