has anyone used the Rockwell "Blade Runner" ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
has anyone used the Rockwell "Blade Runner" ?

Just saw a TV ad for the Rockwell "Blade Runner" and wondered if anyone here has used one and if so with what results?

Seems to me like something I could get some good use from but I'm always a little leery of those "as seen on TV" type gadgets.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Blade runner Video

For those like me who wasn't quite sure what it was, but I had seen the same ads on TV. It's essentially a saber saw mounted upside down in a table. AFAICT You won't get very "straight' cuts with a 1/4" wide blade JMO. Maybe for someone with no other tools and limited projects, a crafter maybe. I think it's over promoted personally. bill

https://www.rockwellbladerunner.com/default.aspx

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
I watched the video, and wasn't very impressed. Make a nice Christmas present for the hobbyist, though.

Save your money and get a bandsaw, more versatile, and you can make any cut you want.

The blades are cheaper for that machine.

Harrison, at your service!
post #4 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, I realize it's just an upside down saber saw w/ a table, but what I was looking at was the ability to cut almost (but not quite) as free-form as a saber saw which a band saw WON'T do --- think of making a shallow "S" shaped crosscut in a long plank; you just can't do that w/ a band saw (but you can w/ a scroll saw, of course).

The other thing is that I am utterly useless when it comes to using a saber saw. One hand on the plank and one on the board just doesn't work well for me, and even when I clamp the plank, I just can't seem to master the one-handed control of the saber saw. I figure w/ a table and both hands on the plank, I have some chance of actually making the cut I'm trying to make.

I agree that it's an over hyped "wonder tool" that is overpromoted but for a klutz like me it might be helpful.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually USED one of them.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
Just saw a TV ad for the Rockwell "Blade Runner" and wondered if anyone here has used one and if so with what results?

Seems to me like something I could get some good use from but I'm always a little leery of those "as seen on TV" type gadgets.

Thanks for any help,

Paul
Paul, those guys have the idea stalen from me ... About 14 years ago, having only hand tools at the moment, I bought a cheap saber-kind saw, and attached it to a piece of ply from below to do straight cuts (with improvised fence) and free-hand cats. The result was mostly a desaster: it was OK to cut through 1/4" ply (seldomly up to 1/2"), but no way you could make a more or less decent job for 3/4", especially with hard wood. The blade would bent in completely uncontrollable way, get stuck in the kerf or worse, get broken, and anyway the cut shape would be awful regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlWood For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (05-29-2012)
post #6 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM

View thehunter's Photo Album My Photos
i would save your money
The Following User Says Thank You to thehunter For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 29 Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM

View dribron's Photo Album My Photos
It's funny.. when ever something new comes out ppl come out of the wood work knocking it down before even trying it out. Why? Because it is not a 5000.00 table saw? I am not saying that it will replace a good banmd saw or table saw. It wont, no way. Still within certain limits it is a handy tool that is not much more than I have spent on jig saws in the past.
I don't know maybe I am just not rich enough for this club.....
post #8 of 29 Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM

View toollovingschultz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribron View Post
It's funny.. when ever something new comes out ppl come out of the wood work knocking it down before even trying it out. Why? Because it is not a 5000.00 table saw? I am not saying that it will replace a good banmd saw or table saw. It wont, no way. Still within certain limits it is a handy tool that is not much more than I have spent on jig saws in the past.

Very well put. unless you try something you can't really see how it works. Portability goes a long way. Some say you can't replace your table saw with a track saw I have for my trim and cabinet install busines and it is much safer. I can see where This tool has its place especially for the diy guys. You can't close your eyes to new Ideas or yu limit yourself. I have sold 2 table saws replaced with my eurekazone system. Ask me 2 years ago if that would happen I would probably say no way. Rockwell makes some good tools I have a rockwell sonicrafter and am very happy it works right along with the fein multimaster .
post #9 of 29 Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I had the same thoughts. We have several people knocking the tool, but not one has ever used one.

I agree that it does not seen like any thing I would want, but I would at least like to see one in person or even try it before going too far in defaming it.

George
post #10 of 29 Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
Reviews aren't so good. It's hard to get down to a 3.4 on amazon.
http://woodworking.about.com/b/2010/...320-review.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK7321-BladeRunner-Wall-Mount/product-reviews/B004AHKUY0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
post #11 of 29 Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM

View kb2tha's Photo Album My Photos
I too saw the infomercial and was interested to the point of checking out reviews. Wanted 1 or 2 for middle school student use. May be ok for that but the reviews did not leave me with a good feeling about them.

Don't make the mistake of confusing new Rockwell tool quality with vintage Rockwell quality. I'll take old iron any day over what is being sold today.
Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to kb2tha For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM

View jalcorn's Photo Album My Photos
Rockwell Saw

I am A cabinet maker, about 30 years at it. ordered the Rockwell saw as seen on tv A good jig saw will almost cost that much.I have all the saws from panel saw to miter to table radial. Saw has a 30 day Return and a good warranity. will let you know how it go's
post #13 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I was in a Rockler the other day and they had one on display. Took a long look at it. It appears to be fairly robust and well put together. I didn't run it, though.
I couldn't think of anything I'd use it for. It wouldn't give me any options for cuts that my present tools couldn't do.
I'm sure it would be useful for someone.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

View Opalgemstone's Photo Album My Photos
Blade runner saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post

Thanks for any help,

Paul
I purchased the Rockwell "Blade Runner" and initially was very pleased with it. However, after using it for a month or so, I discovered the cuts are not accurate from end to end. The miter gauge is loose which throws off the cut. I have tightened it down as much as possible but it didn't make any difference.
The saw does not cut the thicker material all that well either. The wood bounces and you have to hold it down REALLY tight with your hands. This is even with the presser foot down and the arm tightened.
The videos make the saw look and work much better than it does.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opalgemstone For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 29 Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM

View Richard1941's Photo Album My Photos
Just gought one at Menards on sale.
Used it several times. It works great.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM

View Handy Wendy's Photo Album My Photos
I have one, I like it. It has limitations. Best for short, precise pieces, and doesn't cut very deep. It's been my handy go-to for my kitchen remodel.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 AM

View Huxleywood's Photo Album My Photos
I have been wondering since this came out when Louis Iturra was going to sue them. A bandsaw blade and this, well "attempt" at a saw are probably close enough not to be allowed to share the same name.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
You are putting words into other peoples mouths. They are not "knocking" this "new" tool just because it is new. It has nothing to do with money.

The basic concept just does not work if the user is at all interested in accuracy or neatness.

George
post #19 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 AM

This thread is getting interesting. We have several first time posters coming out of the woodwork giving praise for this tool.

I saw one yesterday at Lowes. Saw nothing about it that would interest me unless the "inventor" had figured out a way to keep a small, one end supported blade from deviating in it's cut.

George
post #20 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
This thread is getting interesting. We have several first time posters coming out of the woodwork giving praise for this tool.
George
I might be able to see, where first time woodworkers, might give praise to the tool, not having used quality tools.

A good jig saw will serve someone much better. Clamp it in a vise if you want the blade pointing up. I used a jig saw many moons ago, upside down, to make some bird houses. For that, the jig saw worked ok.
If you want to get fancy, mount the jigsaw upside down, and make a set of overhead guides for the blade. If the Blade Runner's hold down, had a set of guides, I think it would be a much better design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode