Hand held circular saw keeps stopping? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

View barnabaas's Photo Album My Photos
Hand held circular saw keeps stopping?

Hey guys. So noob question here. I have my dads old circular saw at my place and i've used it a few times but i was wondering why or what i'm doing wrong when I'm using it in some cases. Occasionally when I get an inch or less into the wood / board i'm cutting it freeze's. Is there a trick to using these or things i should be mindful of, like maybe holding the blade guard back initially while cutting (seems dangerous?) in case it accidentally hits the board early on and cases it to stop?

Just thought i'd ask as I'm not exactly sure why it's stopping all of a sudden 50% of the time. =\

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Is the blade dull, gunky, warped, or installed backwards?

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!
post #3 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The blade is on a "clutch" of sorts

It has a washer or flat behind it and a long bolt with an nut/washer to tighten it up. The more you tighten the bolt the less it will slip if it hits an obstruction or binds up.

So, is the both motor and blade stopping or is the blade just slipping?

If the motor is stopping chances are the blade is very dull. Most issues of failure to cut are a result of a dull blade. Rarely the motor is the problem, but a frayed cord or weak connection of bad or worn brushes could be the problem
Replace the blade and check the above. You should find the culprit. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Blades installed correctly - not warped as far as i can tell and it works 50% of the time, but every once in a while right towards the start the the blade just stops, the motor wants to keep going but the blade stops. Honestly i haven't done much to it since i got it which was years ago. I imagine the blade could be tightened up a bit or maybe i just need a new blade.

I'll try those things first, any other ideas of what it could be in the meantime?

Thanks guys
post #5 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
where's my table saw?

Nope

that about covers it.
Check it out and observe to see if the blade has actually stopped in the kerf. Then tight up on the bolt a bit. It will require a blade wrench and possibly your saw has a lock for the arbor.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #6 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Some saws have a clutch system. I'm not sure of the logic as to why. I think that if your tighten the blade more it will stop slipping while the motor keeps running. IIRC my worm drive from 25 years ago will do the same thing.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM

View vinnypatternmaker's Photo Album My Photos
Blade jamming...

Hi!
All thoughts mentioned are possible, but I'd go with tightening the the blade torque nut little by little and see how that progresses !
Also, as said above, a sharp quality blade is always a fine idea!
Best,
Marena
post #8 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If your hand is asserting a sideways pressure that will cause binding and the saw will stop. Even a slight sideways pressure combined with dirty/dull blade will cause stoppage.

George
post #9 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
When I first starting using my circular saw, 80% of the time I forgot to adjust the depth of cut, making it work harder than it needed to. Also be cutting where the excess can fall away, not cutting between your sawhorses where the wood will pinch the blade as it is cut.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM

View ATL Jack's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure the work piece is properly supported so that it isnt binding
post #11 of 15 Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Is it solved yet?

Did any of these solutions work? I've been checking back waiting for a "thanks, that did the trick" because I too have my grandfather's circular saw and it does the same thing. It's solid metal casing, using the same blade that was on there when he died - HSS, not carbide tipped but still quite sharp. The only difference in the saw between when he used it last and when I try to use it is that it has sat in a metal box for 20 years. So if/when the correct answer is found, please post it here.
Thanks
Joe

Insert witty signature line here.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust
Did any of these solutions work? I've been checking back waiting for a "thanks, that did the trick" because I too have my grandfather's circular saw and it does the same thing. It's solid metal casing, using the same blade that was on there when he died - HSS, not carbide tipped but still quite sharp. The only difference in the saw between when he used it last and when I try to use it is that it has sat in a metal box for 20 years. So if/when the correct answer is found, please post it here.
Thanks
Joe
I bought a craftsman circular saw at an estate sale, first had seen in a metal box like that. Runs good every things original,affraid to use it I might brake it or something. Got it for conversation piece guess could say. hope I don't inherit this problem too.

[/I]Clearing the room[/I]
post #13 of 15 Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
I was thinking about this some more... could old brushes in the motor cause this, or do these use brushless motors? I've not played with the guts of a motor since shop class...
post #14 of 15 Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
where's my table saw?

have no fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust View Post
Thanks
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhy30 View Post
I bought a craftsman circular saw at an estate sale, first had seen in a metal box like that. Runs good every things original,affraid to use it I might brake it or something. Got it for conversation piece guess could say. hope I don't inherit this problem too.
In my experience, the only thing that happens to these older but gooder tools is that the gear grease solidifies. The newer greases will work better and usually all it takes is to remove a few bolts or screws and scoop out the old and replace it with lithium gear case lubricant. I would also look at the blade arbor bolt to be certain it's working and snugging up on the blade to keep it from spinning. Remove all the pieces, rretain the original order and what I do is sand them on 320 grit to true them up. Replace them and tighten firmly but not overtight. They are meant to slip if a jamb occurs, so it's a fine line between that and too tight. bill

post #15 of 15 Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust View Post
Thanks
Joe
Hey Joe. Sorry for the late reply. I got pretty busy with work and haven't been able to test things out or sort out the issue yet. I'll def. let you know when i do figure out what the deal was in my particular case. Some really great info in here regardless thought! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode