Grizzly G0771Z? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

2Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

View GFOviedo's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly G0771Z?

As some of you know, I've been searching and reading a lot about buying a table saw. I was finally set to buying the Grizzly G0771, but today I noticed the new Grizzly G0771Z, which has a T-style fence system.

I've call Grizzly tech support, and they told me this is a new unit, and it will be available on December 24th. After talking to the tech for a little while, he recommended the G1023RL table saw instead, but that one is over my budget. The Grizzly tech told me that if I wanted more precise cuts, I would need the G1023RL. So, I went ahead and asked him if the G0771 can't make a straight cut? He went on to say that it can make a straight cut, but not as accurate.

So, now I am confused. All I need is for the table saw to make a straight cut. The G0771 can do upto 30" to the right, which is more than enough. The G1023RL can only do 26", which is 2" less than what I need it for.

So, now I am really pondering if I should re-consider buying the G0771? Why does have to be so difficult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-29-2016, 09:47 PM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 1023 and love it. But considering its twice the price I think the 771 is a good looking saw. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelpugh For This Useful Post:
WesTex (11-29-2016)
post #3 of 25 Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
I have the 1023 and love it. But considering its twice the price I think the 771 is a good looking saw. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.
I could go for the 1023, but if I don't really need it why spend the money on that. I'm just starting to get into furniture stuff like making tables, desks and shelves. I'm not into the intricate stuff yet. As long as it can do straight 90 / 45 degrees cut I would be fine with it.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 PM

I went from a small ryobi portable table saw to the 1023 beast. But I knew I wanted a saw that I would have for a long time. I didn't want to get a contractor or hybrid and then want to upgrade in a few years. I have dedicated shop space and build in it everyday. Everyone's situation is different...

post #5 of 25 Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpugh View Post
I went from a small ryobi portable table saw to the 1023 beast. But I knew I wanted a saw that I would have for a long time. I didn't want to get a contractor or hybrid and then want to upgrade in a few years. I have dedicated shop space and build in it everyday. Everyone's situation is different...
I agree with you. Better to buy something that will last you for a lifetime.
I agree
post #6 of 25 Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Id say that grizzly rep was full of sh--- err, crap. If the blade spins without a lot of runout, as it should on any saw regardless of price, you can get the same accuracy from any saw. As far as saws in that price range, the 771 looks pretty solid to my eye. Decent sized table, cast iron extension wings, decent amount of power. The only thing i saw in the description that made me slightly wary is that it looks like the fence locks on both the front and rear rail, which im not a fan of. I will say ive never used this particular system, but the fences that ive used that lock on both rails never seem lock down quite as accurately as the bisemeyer style. If the 771z has a more standard t-square fence id say its a good buy, and you can probably ignore the reps claims that for "accurate" cuts you need a pricier saw
sweensdv and michaelpugh like this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 25 Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like the rep is on commission..... Buy the saw you want ....
Don't have a Grizzly, but understand their service is very good
if you have an issue with the saws accuracy....
post #8 of 25 Old 12-01-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments / suggestions.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The description reads the same

The description of the "new" G0771Z and the GO771 read the same as far as the fence...? The older GO715 has a better fence in my opinion. I haven't seen or used either one, but it looks more like a Biesmeyer than the others and I think the rails are made out of steel. It is slightly more expensive than the other 2, but IF you get a better, more durable fence then that's a big plus. The fence is the "heart" of the table saw, and it gets used for most operations except crosscuts with a miter gauge. You are always adjusting the fence and moving it even slightly requires accuracy and a lockdown that squares the fence to the rail each time.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P

I would call Grizzly again and have the rep explain the differences in the 3 saws. BTW the "new" saw is out of stock, so it's not available until ....?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...d-Fence/G0771Z

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #10 of 25 Old 12-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Woodnthings makes a great point. That looks very similar and may be the same fence that is on my saw. That alone would be worth the $130 difference....

post #11 of 25 Old 12-02-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I called Grizzly again, and I was lucky to get a very knowledgeable tech person. He explained to me that the G0771 and G0771Z are the same saw, but the Z has the new and improved fence with rails system. He stated that G0771Z will be the replacement of the G0771. It appears they received a lot of customers complaining about the fence and rail system so Grizzly went with the new style.

So, I've made up my mind on, which table saw to buy, and I am going with the G0771Z.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-03-2016, 07:12 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
It ought to be a good one. We live about 200 miles from their PA store, so when I bought my band saw from them, we drove up and saved the shipping cost and had a little day trip added in. Do you live close enough to pick it up?
post #13 of 25 Old 12-03-2016, 07:44 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
It ought to be a good one. We live about 200 miles from their PA store, so when I bought my band saw from them, we drove up and saved the shipping cost and had a little day trip added in. Do you live close enough to pick it up?
The PA store has closed ....
post #14 of 25 Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, it's really easy to slide the front rail of the G1023 to the right to gain another 10" rip capacity. The G1023RL is also an industrial cabinet saw and is a whole lot more robust than any of the hybrid saws. The G0771Z seems like a good deal on a decent homeowner hybrid saw that is capable of good service, but is clearly a lighter duty saw. Setup and blade selection are always critical, but even more so with the hybrid due to the smaller motor than the G1023.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Update:

I'm no longer buying the Grizzly. I found a Delta 10" table saw, with cast iron extension, router extension, and Beysmester fence locally. The guy wanted $500 for it, but I got him down to $400.

The only issue with it besides a little rust is that it doesn't have dust collection. I can live with that though.

Now, I will be able to buy a jointer!
post #16 of 25 Old 12-04-2016, 06:29 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwerks View Post
The PA store has closed ....
That's too bad.
post #17 of 25 Old 12-04-2016, 09:40 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If a tech came at me with a line like that I would be gone. There is no reason you couldn't cut a part just as accurate with either saw. Buy which ever saw which fits your needs. Also keep in mind they are discontinuing the fence system for the G0771 so if you get that one someday you might need parts for it and find they discontinued the parts too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
WesTex (12-04-2016)
post #18 of 25 Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
Update:

I'm no longer buying the Grizzly. I found a Delta 10" table saw, with cast iron extension, router extension, and Beysmester fence locally. The guy wanted $500 for it, but I got him down to $400.

The only issue with it besides a little rust is that it doesn't have dust collection. I can live with that though.

Now, I will be able to buy a jointer!

Sounds like you found a good deal. is it a Unisaw? If so they are what everybody lese tried to duplicate, I have one and it a damn good saw,

If you have an angle grinder, a wire cup brush will polish the table like it never had any rust on it
post #19 of 25 Old 12-05-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Sounds like you found a good deal. is it a Unisaw? If so they are what everybody lese tried to duplicate, I have one and it a damn good saw,

If you have an angle grinder, a wire cup brush will polish the table like it never had any rust on it
Is not a unisaw. I haven't been able to pick it up since my so called friend wasn't able to help me move it. However, while I've been trying to find someone to help me move the saw, I found a different saw that I will be looking at as well.

It's a Craftsman Model # 152.221240 that comes with many extras, which includes a Biesemeyer fence as well.

When I searched Google for that model, it shows that it has a "granite" table top? But looking at the pictures of the saw it appears to be of cast iron.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 AM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
That'd be the original 22124. Cast iron top, not granite. The current 22116 has the granite top. The Biese fence was stock on the 22124. It was pre-riving knife, but the BORK will fit on this saw. Cab mounted trunnions, 425#, nice saw....worth around $600 used in good shape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode