First time router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

View brett1's Photo Album My Photos
First time router

Anyone have any ideas on a good router for a beginner I found a pc 895 on sale for $220 reg $300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Splinter Picker

View jharris's Photo Album My Photos
Double post. Disregard.

Last edited by jharris; 03-13-2012 at 04:25 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 AM
Splinter Picker

I have two PC 890's and I like them. $220.00 is a pretty good deal but only if your getting a plunge base and a fixed base. That kit should also include 1/2" & 1/4" collets, offset and regular collet wrenches, a plate centering tool and a tool to adjust bit height from the top when you build a router table. Very handy.

When you build a router table get a router plate that is pre-drilled to accept this router and let you use the adjustment tool as well. I got mine from Rockler but I'm sure there are others.

Keep in mind that a 2 1/4 HP router will do most things but if you plan to do raised panel doors or use heavier bits a 3 1/2 HP router might suit you better. I'm going to have get a heavier router myself at some point.

I like PC but I think you'll find that there are other quality brands to consider that will be recommended by others in this forum.

Consider all opinions and make the best choice for your budget and the kind of work you will be doing.

Last edited by jharris; 03-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 PM

View Huxleywood's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer the Bosch 1617 and the two base kit is about $203 on Amazon.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM

View ATL Jack's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxleywood View Post
I prefer the Bosch 1617 and the two base kit is about $203 on Amazon.
I have the 1617 and am very happy with it.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Wood Router Hobbyist

View woodrouterreviewsguy's Photo Album My Photos
The Bosch 1617 would be a good choice for 1st router. I've reviewed this router and some others on my blog.

http://www.bestwoodrouterreviews.net

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or need any advice. I've summarized my review of the 1617 below...

Bosch 1617EVSPK Review
The multiple use Bosch 1617EVSPK Plunge and fixed base wood router kit is ideally designed to undertake a wide range of applications. This Bosch Router has a highly efficient motor equipped with advanced features like speed control technology and precision bases. The 2.25 HP motor has a speed ranging between 8000 and 25000 RPM. The speed dial helps to set the motor speed for different types of routing task depending up on the material. A contact response circuit maintains a constant speed of the router during the cut. This results in cleaner and accurate cutting. The Bosch 1617EVSPK has a Microfine adjustment system for adjusting the bit depth quickly and accurately. This motor has aluminum base and housing to ensure durability. One more important feature is the quick clamp system.
This is the fourth ranked product amongst all wood routers, according to Amazon.com. A large pool of highly satisfied customers has assigned an overall user rating of 4 stars for the product. We have thoroughly examined the features of this wonderful Bosch router before writing this review. The feedback from the users has also been considered.
The Negative Reviews
No product has ever been able to please all customers. Our review revealed some flaws of this amazing Bosch Router. The most significant of the drawbacks as reported are summarized below.
We have received complaints from customers that have received a Bosch Router which was not properly crowned. They had their router replaced, but the replacement had a similar problem. Some other users have mentioned that this product can not be used on a table top. The switches need to be changed frequently when this router is table mounted. This is because of accumulation of dust inside the switch. The router has suddenly stopped functioning several times for some customers. Extension of the fine extension knob has also stopped working in certain cases. Some customers were dissatisfied because the company does not provide any warranty with the product.
Many others have mentioned that at this high price range, they expected a full range of extras. However, the Bosch 1617EVSPK does not include some necessary accessories.

The Positive Reviews
Contrary to the above views, a large majority of users have expressed views that were completely opposite of the others.
The most popular things about the Bosch 1617EVSPK wood router kitare the self center and soft touch features. Many users have mentioned that the motor of the router is strong enough to be used on a router table. The micro fine adjustment feature has been appreciated by the users, too. Some customers have clearly mentioned that this is the best ever router ever made on earth. Most customers were pleased by the way this product can switch fixed base and plunge base. The machine is very quiet in spite of its excessively high speed. It is easy to set up and use. Another utility feature of the Bosch 1617EVSPK is the soft start system that is perfect for people suffering from injuries like tennis elbow.

The Conclusion
The Bosch 1617EVSPK Plunge and fixed base router kit is one of the most used routers today. Many users trust the name of Bosch and the product has done well to fulfill the expectation of the users. Some customers did have their complaints, but the number of such cases was not too many. The Bosch 1617EVSPK is certainly your choice if you are looking for a reliable and time tested product for your routing needs.
http://www.bestwoodrouterreviews.net...er-kit-review/
post #7 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1 View Post
Anyone have any ideas on a good router for a beginner I found a pc 895 on sale for $220 reg $300
Hi Brett - Both the PC and the Bosch are good routers but there are a lot of good entry level routers out there, including the newer Craftsman, for a whole lot less money than Bosch and Porter Cable think their name is worth. I'm especially wary of Porter Cable since Black and Decker took over that name and downgraded the line from "contractor" level to "diy" level. My personal favorite for a starter router is the Hitachi KM12VCEK.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B0002ZZWX8
Very likely the quietest in it's class. I don't care for it's fixed base for table use though. The height adjustment requires rotating the motor in the base and in a table this just wraps the cord up. For hand held use it is difficult to beat though, and ~$50 less cost, more to spend on bits

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #8 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Splinter Picker

Jshaben and others,

I've been considering adding a compact router to my arsenal and have my eye on the Dewalt fixed/plunge combo which is identical to the PC combo but has an LED light and variable speed.

Does B&D own Dewalt and PC?

Also, Is the Bosch Colt comparable to the above mentioned and how important is a plunge base for a compact router?

Last edited by jharris; 03-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
Jshaben and others,

I've been considering adding a compact router to my arsenal and have my eye on the Dewalt fixed/plunge combo which is identical to the PC combo but has an LED light and variable speed.

Does B&D own Dewalt and PC?
YEP!!

Also, Is the Bosch Colt comparable to the above mentioned and how important is a plunge base for a compact router?
They are similar to the Colt in HP ratings but are substantially larger physically. Trend T4 is a plunge router and about equal in physical size and HP to the Colt. The Colt does not currently have a plunge base available from Bosch but rumor is there may be one in the works. Woodhaven does have a plunge base available for use with the Colt but don't even ask the price. The Colt also does not have guide bushing capability available from Bosch but Pat Warner sells a guide bushing compatible subbase for it. The Colt does have some other trick attachments available for the Colt though; offset base, angled base, roller guide and a few others. You can go to CPO Bosch and check out the Bosch installers kit to get an idea.
How important is a plunge base in a compact router??? That would be your call depending on what you want to use it for. If hinge mortising was a significant part of your job mix it would likely be very important, if it is edge forming, it wouldn't likely be very important at all.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
jharris (03-15-2012)
post #10 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Now that I have a couple Festool router's, my couple old PC's and bosch just gather dust most of the time.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Splinter Picker

Festoon = $$$$$$$$ in my mind. I know they make fine tools but I can't afford them.

In your opinion what justifies the extra expense?
post #12 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Splinter Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris
Festoon = $$$$$$$$ in my mind. I know they make fine tools but I can't afford them.

In your opinion what justifies the extra expense?
This was not meant as a challenge or with any malice.

Festool makes fine products. I was only wondering if the added expense can be justified for someone not doing alot of production (R.O.I.).
post #13 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

The other newcomer to the compact plunge router community is the Makita. Price a little above the Dewalt/PC versions but with more bases.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...aspx?ID=380464

In my mind a better value.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
I love both of my bosch 1617s. It's the bee's knees. It's better than sliced bread (which is rather over-rated IMHO - nothing beats a fresh baguette.) I've also got three older craftsman - one with just 1hp that I really like the feel of, but they don't compare to the Bosch.

But lately the whole proprietary template thing is starting to bug me. Sure It's not enough to make me trade them yet, but when its time to buy the next one I'll be looking real close at the PC.

Someone recommended the Craftsman last month and I was in Sears so I looked at it, picked it up and it just didn't feel comfortable to me, the finish was rough and the clear baseplate just looked so cheap that I couldn't get past all that to even consider how good it might actually work.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust View Post
But lately the whole proprietary template thing is starting to bug me. Sure It's not enough to make me trade them yet, but when its time to buy the next one I'll be looking real close at the PC.

Any reason you don't like the RA1100 adaptor? It lets use you PC threaded template guides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huxleywood For This Useful Post:
jschaben (03-16-2012)
post #16 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
This was not meant as a challenge or with any malice.

Festool makes fine products. I was only wondering if the added expense can be justified for someone not doing alot of production (R.O.I.).
I don't use my routers everyday. It sure is nice to have dust collection when one needs to use them in a finished house. The ratcheting spindle is nice for one handed bit changes. All the extra accessories are sweet.

Remember the old metal housed tools of days gone by? The one's that are still being used after 20+ years? That is what Festool brings, heirloom quality tools. I could buy 2 routers instead of one Festool, but I am pretty sure I will only have to buy the Festool one time. That is worth it to me.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxleywood View Post
Any reason you don't like the RA1100 adaptor? It lets use you PC threaded template guides.
It works OK, but to use it you have to have the RA1126. I have two because both my router sets were bought used and came with it, but I've heard others have bought the router and didn't get an RA1126 with it. So that's the first thing you've got to put on the router base. Then you have to add the RA1100 - another thing that needs bought.. That's two things attached to the router base and then you've put the template bushing on. More room for error - like not pushing the plunger all the way to lock on the RA1100 to the 1126, which leads to the most spectacular light and sound display as the router eats the template.

So I guess it's a twofold thing - to use the screw on bushings you have to add two extra items to your baseplate, which opens the door for errors in alignment or assembly. Or you have to replace your baseplate with a generic fits-all before using the screw ons, or you're stuck with the proprietary bushings (and may or may not have to buy the RA1126 depending on where/when you bought the router.

But like I said in the first post - aside from the template thing I really like the bosch router a whole lot.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM

View Rwelch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc.
Now that I have a couple Festool router's, my couple old PC's and bosch just gather dust most of the time.
As far as routers I have more than I should but, with that comes some experience with all of the large manufacturers. Pc is nice as is the Bosch. Makita makes some real nice routers as does dewalt. Festool is great but, the funny thing is I reach for my hitachi m12v most often. It fits real nice in my hands and has plenty of power. What matters isn't as much price as comfort and personal preference. My Festool router is the one that sits it just doesn't feel as good.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Splinter Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc.

I don't use my routers everyday. It sure is nice to have dust collection when one needs to use them in a finished house. The ratcheting spindle is nice for one handed bit changes. All the extra accessories are sweet.

Remember the old metal housed tools of days gone by? The one's that are still being used after 20+ years? That is what Festool brings, heirloom quality tools. I could buy 2 routers instead of one Festool, but I am pretty sure I will only have to buy the Festool one time. That is worth it to me.
Warner, I hadn't considered longevity.

I usually just scan through Festool when I'm going through my catalogs because of the price but I did notice that their tools are setup for dust control.

I'm pretty careful about dust in my shop but dust control in a clients home is an absolute necessity.

I also like their Systainer products.

Thanks for your input

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode