Woodworking Talk banner

Drill Press

977 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Frye 
#1 ·
I need recommenedations for a benchtop drill press 300 dollars is my limit I mostly use it to do euro hinges soI dont need a big floor model.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
If you buy a real full size entry level drill press there is no difference in capacity between the floor models and the bench top other than the length of the post.

If you are going for the cheaper models take a look at them in person, biggest problem with a lot of them is the slop in the quill, if you lower the quill and grab the chuck you can move it back, forth and sideways, not as critical drilling wood, with a pointed bit, as metal but a fault non the less.

You should be able to pick up something decent on sale for $300, anything under that you take you chances.

#6 · (Edited)
I have an old Delta benchtop drill press that I've been using for over twenty years now. I paid $120 for it new at a local dealer, but I'm sure the price is much, much higher now. It used to be clamped in a "tool pit" in my old shop (see my gallery for a picture) and has been used for drilling, mortising, drum sanding (before I had an oscillating drum sander), and even carving. I have a Delta flex shaft hand piece that I used to carve the back of the mantle shelf (again in my gallery) with it chucked in the drill press. I will be making a roll around stand cabinet for it in the new shop I'm building now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.