Woodworking Talk banner

Delta 36-T30 Fence Compatibility

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lburgwin 
#1 ·
I've been using a 70's era Rockwell 34-345 10" table saw I bought off craigslist about 10 years ago. I've mostly done basic wood working and projects and it's been fine and serviceable for my needs to this point. Of course I'm still using the original fence which is a pain to deal with and to make accurate cuts.

So a few years back I bought a Delta 36-T30 fence for a good price with the idea of upgrading my 34-345. Of course I overlooked the compatibility so it's not a fit without some modification. So I've put the fence aside until I've had a bit more time to figure out the next step.

So I was hoping to keep the 36-T30 and match it with a newer table saw model that would make a reliable and accurate combination. Ideally something I can use for the next 10-15 years to do more moderate and advanced level wood working.

Would you guys recommend any models? Thanks for the help.

#8 ·
34-410

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I too have that fence and rail system and am trying to install it on a Delta 34-410. The original fence was the Jet-Lock fence with the round guide rails.

The issue I'm running into is that the supplied 5/16-18 screws to mount the front/rear guide rails to the iron, are too small to thread into the holes in the iron of my saw. I think the original holes are closer to 3/8 or 7/16.

I'm worried that the proper (larger diameter) size screws will sit proud in the guide rails. Has anyone else run into this?

#9 ·
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I too have that fence and rail system and am trying to install it on a Delta 34-410. The original fence was the Jet-Lock fence with the round guide rails.

The issue I'm running into is that the supplied 5/16-18 screws to mount the front/rear guide rails to the iron, are too small to thread into the holes in the iron of my saw. I think the original holes are closer to 3/8 or 7/16.

I'm worried that the proper (larger diameter) size screws will sit proud in the guide rails. Has anyone else run into this?
There are a lot of ways to attach these things. If the holes line up, you are fortunate. One thing you could do is buy some longer fasteners, of the 5/16-18 variety and put a nut and washer on the back side. You could open the thread with a drill to 3/8ths to give a bit of clearance but that will take away the option of bolting your original fence in the original manner. I have a thru bolt with flat washer, lock washer and nut on my Craftsman saw.

If you decide to open the holes, check the threaded portion of the cast iron on the saw top. I expect it is some kind of boss to provide strength and support for the tapped hole. Make sure that a nut and washers will sit flat on the back side.

As far as the bolt being a bit proud on the angle iron, the reality is all it has to do is clear the "T" part of the fence.

Another option is to drill new holes and countersink the rail. That would leave the original configuration intact.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

#10 ·
The holes in the iron are not accessible from the rear/underneath. They are drilled/tapped directly into the table surface, so backing the smaller bolts with a lock washer and nut is not possible. Good to know about the heads sitting proud though. Hopefully, once I get some larger diameter bolts this afternoon, if they do sit proud, the "T" part will still clear. All the holes do line up, it's just the holes in the iron of the table are too large for what came with the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.