Woodworking Talk banner

Custom cabinet for tablesaw

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  woodnthings 
#1 ·
I have a contractor saw where the sawdust falls to the floor underneath the saw. I've been wanting to make a cabinet to replace the current stand and the main feature of the cabinet will be an enclosed drawer/dust collection space underneath the saw.

I've seen some guys make this saw using 2x4 or 2x3 frames and then adding ply "skin". I have seen others make a frame out of 1x4 lumber before adding ply "skin". I could do this, but I was contemplating just making a typical cabinet base using pocket holes, glue, and 3/4" ply.

Should I go with the frame design and then add skin? Or, would the pocket holes, glue, and 3/4" ply be sturdy enough?

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I thought about just making something to fit under the table stand, but I'm also planning on making an extension wing for a router table. So, I figured it just made sense to make a cabinet to replace the stand, add some storage capacity, and decrease loose sawdust in the process.

The saw I have is a Delta 36-600. It's a decent weight, but I can pick it up by myself.

#8 ·
I expect if you are going to build some type of drawered base with the idea of maximizing space, it should match the footprint of the saw table, extensions and fence rails.

In the image above there is wasted space below the right and left extension table. If you are spending the time, it is little more effort.

#9 ·
The 36-600 is a compact saw with a universal motor, not a true contractor saw with the outboard induction motor. I bring this up because the 36-600 is smaller and has a different design than a standard contractor saw, so some ideas that work well for a contractor saw may or may not work so well with your saw.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a contractor saw where the sawdust falls to the floor underneath the saw. I've been wanting to make a cabinet to replace the current stand and the main feature of the cabinet will be an enclosed drawer/dust collection space underneath the saw.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wouldn't waste the space by having a sawdust collection space under the saw. I would try to collect the dust via a dust collector or shop vac as it is produced. Contractor saws are notoriously hard to seal off and collect dust from no matter what method you choose. You need a super high velocity and large CFM D/C to get the best results.... probably not gonna happen.

I use a Jet 1100 CFM ??? D/C with a steel base plate right under my saws and seal off the openings with magnetic sheets. It works OK, but sawdust still collects in the corners. :crying2: I just jamb a stick in the cabinet openings while the D/C is running to mix it up enough to get it to flow into the 4" port, maybe once a week or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.