Craftsman 10" Table Saw, good deal? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View Double's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman 10" Table Saw, good deal?

Looking to pick up a used table saw,

Craftsman 10" Table Saw (Model 315.228390)

Includes all instructions, manuals, original parts, and router wing extension. Has a mobile base and looks brand new all over.

Asking $325

This will be my first table saw, initially used to do a built in desk with bookshelves against a wall in the office. After that, a large pergola/deck in the backyard. I don't have any plans for major projects after that, so I really am just looking for something up to the task that will last through alot of small projects over the years.

I've heard that it may not accept some routers, but I have a Craftsman router of similar vintage that should bolt up just fine to it.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to be in good shape, is a capable saws, and includes some extras, but $325 is a little steep for a used older style contractor saw with no riving knife and no warranty. That much money goes too far towards a new saw. $250 would be more reasonable IMHO.

Please let us know how you make out.
The Following User Says Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (02-19-2013)
post #3 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM

View Bill in VaBeach's Photo Album My Photos
Agree with Knotscott. That 350. has you 70% of the way or better towards a new Ridgid with lifetime warranty and both a riving knife and blade safety. No complaint with the Craftsman, I have a similar one I use on site for kitchen and bath remodeling work. Bought the Ridgid a few months ago and it stays home, not at all transportable for a "contractor saw", but a nice machine and a very competitive deal at a bit less than $500. If you are intent on the Craftsman, $250. is very reasonable. Listen carefully to those arbor bearings though.
post #4 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Met in the middle on price, headed out to pick up AM tomorrow.

Next order of business, what is the table saw bible?

Or at least a book that will get me started out on the right track with the table and the first project, which will basically be a desk with flanking file drawers against a wall, and two built in bookshelves.

Thanks!
post #5 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
No Longer Here

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Tolpins-Table-Magic-Second/dp/1558706771is excellent IMO. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Kelly+Mahler%27s+Table+Saw+Book&x=0&y=0 is highly regarded also, but I haven't read it personally.

As a total segway, speaking of Kelly Mahler's book reminded of one of the funniest stories I've read on these wwing forums. An active forum member (can't recall who or which forum), was in the market to buy a used contractor saw. He had done his homework and was gaining confidence in his knowledge of buying used tools, and found a listing for a Ridgid contractor saw. After telling the seller about the flaws of the saw, and why he didn't think it was worth the full asking price, they agreed on a price. When asked if he'd accept a check, the gentleman replied, "make it out to Kelly Mahler". He was selling the saw featured on the front of his book! I about spit my coffee all over my PC screen!

Last edited by knotscott; 12-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
Shop Dad (01-11-2012), vinnypatternmaker (11-29-2012)
post #6 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same saw. No complaints but as already posted they are asking close to what it cost when it was new.
post #7 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Definitely have to pick up one of those this weekend.
post #8 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I have the EXACT same saw that you are picking up. It is a pretty good saw, and when I bought mine, it did come with a riving knife w/ antikickbacks and gaurd.

I would take the time in checking to make sure that the the saw is tuned up correctly when you get it. My Blade was not parallel to the miter gauge slots, so I needed to go thru the hassle of getting it within my acceptable tolerances. This saw is HEAVY, so if you need to adjust the blade alignment, you can always take the wings off to lighten it up a little.

As far as the router wing goes, I have found that every Craftsman router I have fits on the router wing without having to drill any new holes. I have drilled a few holes though to take advantage of some of my routers "above table" height adjustment features. Its cast iron, so drilling a new hole or two is not that difficult at all.

I agree about listening for the bearings as well. If anything sounds different than the normal "whine" from the blade spinning, you might want to make sure that everything is working the way it should..... I actually has some key-ways wear out on me, and I had to replace a couple pulleys... Not a big deal, since it is a Craftsman, and parts were real easy to find.

I really like this saw, and has really done alot for me. It definitely has its limitations, but all in all, I think you will be happy with it.

If you have any questions or concerns with the saw, feel free to drop me a private message, and I will try to help the best that I can.

Hope this helps.

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #9 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 PM

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
knotscott, that Kelly Mahler story is funny.
post #10 of 68 Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 PM

View KRM45's Photo Album My Photos
Funny I was eyeing the same CL posting. Let us know how it works out for you.
post #11 of 68 Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Picked up table this morning, looks great and great guy with lots of good info about they ins and outs of this saw. Got to get it set up correctly this week, then projects begin next weekend.

After looking at a lot of flimsy router tables I think the cast iron extension on this saw will be a big bonus.
post #12 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 AM

View jlsanborn's Photo Album My Photos
Hey!
I just found this thread and registered in hopes of getting some quick feedback. I found this same saw on CL for $200 and am itching to pick it up tomorrow. For the life of me, I cannot find a HP rating and the owner can't figure it out. He thinks its 3/4hp, but I find that to be a bit low. I also found some old reviews about difficulty or in-ability to dial this thing in. I've run some old Craftsman's before and found that they were a little crude, but an "analist" could get them true. Is it worth the money? I'd love to have a UniSaw, but just can't justify the cost. I do have some cabinets to make, but most of the use would be much rougher than that. Will this thing rip 2x6 doug fir?
Thanks!
Johnny
post #13 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 AM

Oh, and is the router base bolt circle really that "strange"?. I've got a Bosch 1/4".
post #14 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
No Longer Here

If it's truly the same model, or a very similar model, and it's in decent shape, it'd be worth $200, and would be in the 1 to 1.5 hp range (even if it says 3hp on the front). Note that there are a lot of different models around...if this one is much older, it could be a lot of work. If it's a smaller older model (8" or 9" blades), I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by knotscott; 01-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.
post #15 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Same saw

Thanks for the tips! I would say that it is the same or nearly the same machine. Owner thinks it about an '02 and it looks identical to the saw the original poster shows here.

Spotted another saw...
"Delta 10" Contractor's Saw, good condition, 1-1/2 HP, 115/230V, $200. Says it's identical to the one the other guy listed for $350"

I'm going to call for more details on that this morning.
post #16 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Thanks for the tips! I would say that it is the same or nearly the same machine. Owner thinks it about an '02 and it looks identical to the saw the original poster shows here.

Spotted another saw...
"Delta 10" Contractor's Saw, good condition, 1-1/2 HP, 115/230V, $200. Says it's identical to the one the other guy listed for $350"

I'm going to call for more details on that this morning.
If it's an '02, the model number will have a "315" prefix....315.######, made by TTI/Ryobi between 1997 and 2004. If it's a 113.######, it's made by Emerson prior to 1997....made in the US. Either are fine at the right price.

$350 for a good full size Delta saw in good shape with a decent fence could be a reasonable deal, but some pics and/or model # would help. Things like upgraded fence, cast iron wings, mobile base, good blades, dados, etc., all add some value. If it's stripped with steel wings, and a stock fence, and nothing else included, $350 is likely more than I'd want to go, but it really depends on age, condition, etc.

On the flip side of the coin...not wanting to pay $350 for a used stripped contractor saw is the bargain hunter in me. We've all read of many other "great" deals on more saw for less, but if you need a saw, and don't want to or can't spend more than $350, it doesn't mean these saws are bad deals...those great deals don't happen every time. Both of these saws are capable of good work (and ripping 2x 6's) if set up correctly and run with the correct blade, so there is a "bird in hand" aspect to consider. It really depends on your sitation. You'll know when the right one rolls along.

Last edited by knotscott; 01-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
post #17 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Waiting on a call back and a look-see on the Delta. No details other than what I posted were listed in the advertisement, so I'm hoping for a gem!

Thanks for the awesome feedback on the Craftsman! The one listed is of the 315 flavor and looks to be pretty well kept.

Neither come with any accessories and I would expect that they're both simply original equipment.

I currently have a Delta 34-670 that was given to me and cleaned up pretty nice. It works well, but is just too light for my needs. I've already stripped the new belt I put on it. I'm expecting the new steel reinforced version in my mailbox today. What do you suppose I could fetch for that thing on CL? I would rate the condition as 7 out of 10.
post #18 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
No Longer Here

As a gross guestimate without knowing much about those models and not seeing, I'd think $75-$125 would be fair for both parties. I sold a two year old model 36-600 (similar I think) that was in real nice shape for $190 about 9 years ago, when they were selling new for ~ $350-$395.
post #19 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Again, very much appreciated!

The belt just showed up, so I'll get it running again and see what it'll bring. $100 seems like a nice number to me. It is a good little saw, just doesn't like resawing as much as I do . I just called on a Rigid contractor's for $300. No experience there, but have heard good things and it looks nice?? Waiting for the call-backs on both the Delta and Rigid.
post #20 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
... I just called on a Rigid contractor's for $300. No experience there, but have heard good things and it looks nice?? Waiting for the call-backs on both the Delta and Rigid.
The Ridgid contractor saws and the Craftsman contractor saws have a great deal in common, and share some ancestry in both design and manufacturer (Emerson and TTI/Ryobi). Many of the parts could be directly interchangeable depending on the era, but I can't say for sure or which ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode