Conventional Circular Saw vs. Worm Drive - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Conventional Circular Saw vs. Worm Drive

I was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages between a regular 7 1/4" circular saw and a worm drive saw. I understand the worm drive saws are generally used for framing and have also seen that they are not considered to be as safe as a standard saw.

School me here, guys.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Log dog
View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
If you have big construction jobs to do, or lots of plywood to cut, you might consider a worm-drive saw for more power and faster cutting. With the motor mounted behind the blade, worm-drive and hypoid circular saws use oiled gears that make them more powerful than sidewinders. Worm-drive saws need regular oil changes, but the newer hypoid saws have permanent oil, with no changes ever needed.

When it's's rustic
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 PM
View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe this will help.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud
View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
It seems that the Eastern US goes with sidewinders while the Western US goes with worm drive. I don't know why, it just seems that way.

I have a worm drive, probably 25-30 years old that I would not trade for anything. (B & D or Skill, can't remember which.) During the remodel of our house, one of the carpenters used it because of a problem with his. He offered me $275 for it, right there on the spot. When I refused, he informed me that if I ever sell the worm drive, he has first right of refusal.

The only thing that I have ever noticed as a difference between a sidewinder and worm drive was the starting torque. The side winder torque tends to work on your wrist while the starting torque of a worm drive tends to twist your elbow. IMHO it seems that the elbow twist is easier to handle.

I wish that I could be more helpful. All that I can say is that I like the worm drive better than the side winder. But that's opinion and not fact.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 PM
where's my table saw?
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
my experience

Worm drive = brute force, high torque, narrower and heavy, better for ripping. Can be used with one hand outstretched...if you're Tarzan or the Hulk.
Sidewinder, much lighter, even magnesium, mostly blades on the right and therefore harder to see over the motor to see the line, reasonable power. better for cross cutting. Can be used with one hand outstretched by "normal" woodworkers/carpenters. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2011, 07:20 AM
SS user
View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Mine is a approx. 20 y.o Skil 77. Great saw! But believe me, use it for long and you soon learn how to make gravity your friend.
It's now used mainly to breakdown sheet goods.

The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Old School
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a problem with the "one hand" cuts. The problem is I may not be able to let go. After all the years of hand held routers, circular saws, and belt sanders, I have a pretty good feel for controlling the weight. It was also the cause of tendonitis. My fingers may not release when I ask them to.

But, between the two, the worm drive is heavier and longer, but has a lower center of gravity. Blades are usually on the left side. If you use a straight edge, you don't need to see the blade anyway. Sidewinders can come left or right blade, and some are very light. They are usually less expensive.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Good information, everyone. I hadn't realized how much heavier a worm drive is over a sidewinder - about 50% heavier in some cases. I also didn't know that they had oil that had to be changed.

I have a decent 13A Craftsman sidewinder (decent meaning not the best saw, but one of the better Craftsman models). My primary use for it seems to be breaking down sheet goods. It has a stamped bottom plate which I'm not too fond of, vs. the aluminum plate that some saws have.

The Ridgid worm drive looks like a mighty nice saw for the money and I was wondering if it might be better for my purposes. Being able to see the blade is a nice plus, too. (Or am I just having a craving for one more cool tool!?).

post #9 of 9 Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 AM
View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
It seems that the Eastern US goes with sidewinders while the Western US goes with worm drive. I don't know why, it just seems that way.

And being from the Midwest, I have one of each! What I find myself doing is if I have a lot of dimensional lumber to cut, or lumber that is wet like treated usually is, I reach for my worm drive. I generally use one of my sidewinders if I'm cutting sheet goods or 3/4 lumber. But this is by no means a hard and fast rule with me. The sidewinders are a little lighter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode