Build Your Own Router Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ORBlackFZ1

post #1 of 20 Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

View treewok2512's Photo Album My Photos
Build Your Own Router Table

You definitely need a router if you are serious about pursuing woodworking as a hobby. To facilitate your work, you will need to sit your router on a table. It's fun and easy to build your own router table. Make sure you get a professional plan to help and guide you during the construction of your project.

You have two options when it comes to building a router table. Either you build one that can fold in half or you can sit your router table on a plain surface. The folding one comes in handy if you lack storage space. If you build a plain router table, which is more secure, you will have to always keep it in the same space. In case you use your table a lot then you may very well prefer to choose the last option.

Since you want your router table to last a very long time, choosing the right wood becomes very important. Two layers of oak plywood will make a strong frame, which will then be covered up with laminate.

You should pay extra attention to making the top of the table frame flat and even. Before attaching the laminate, you need to flatten the top with a straightedge and a sander. You should use a roller for the contact cement since variations in the cement itself account for most of the deviations in the top. Also make sure you build the legs very well so they don't wobble. Sand all the surfaces so that everything is very smooth. Use a planer to complete that task.

Spend money on a ready-made router table top in case you wish to cut back on time frame in addition to making things easier. Get a laminated top for your router table. Also get channel guides and a miter gauge. Build a large table that is at least 24 x 32 inches. It is going to offer you plenty of space to perform your jobs.

In case you do not wish to build your own table, simply buy a good one that you will assemble yourself. Of course it is a time saver but you will end up spending more money and you will miss the satisfaction of self building your own stuff.

You can also build a router table fence that has clamps built into it to secure it to the table. Add extra features to your router table such as a router fence vacuum. Attaching the adapter on your fence and collecting most of the dust will keep your working area very clean by getting rid of all chips and sawdust.

Visit my website if you are looking for the best router table!

Last edited by BigJim; 11-04-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Ad Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 PM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Don't you just love people that "toot their own horn"? They make one post that promotes themselves or their product and then they never show up again. They don't contribute, share or participate....

Oh well...my mom used to tell me "it takes all kinds to make the world go round". I still don't really know what she meant, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to ORBlackFZ1 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (11-08-2015)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Your post to "build your own router table" is interesting, but unless you have the time, tools, know-how, material with a router table buildable plan, buying a manufactured router table may be the better way to go! Thanks for sharing your idea. Be safe.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Your post to "build your own router table" is interesting, but unless you have the time, tools, know-how, material with a router table buildable plan, buying a manufactured router table may be the better way to go! Thanks for sharing your idea. Be safe.

I'd say buying a router table many times is just a waste of money when you can build a better one the first time. Doesn't require a lot of time. The store bought versions are just to expensive and the workmanship is average. Unless you want to drop about $600 into it.

Al

post #5 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by treewok2512 View Post
You definitely need a router if you are serious about pursuing woodworking as a hobby. To facilitate your work, you will need to sit your router on a table. It's fun and easy to build your own router table. Make sure you get a professional plan to help and guide you during the construction of your project.

I don't believe a professional plan is needed when you can collect ideas to your liking and just build it from that. Measurements can be what ever you see fit.

You have two options when it comes to building a router table. Either you build one that can fold in half or you can sit your router table on a plain surface. The folding one comes in handy if you lack storage space. If you build a plain router table, which is more secure, you will have to always keep it in the same space. In case you use your table a lot then you may very well prefer to choose the last option.

There are hundreds of ways to build a router table. Few guys that build their own table only build one.

Since you want your router table to last a very long time, choosing the right wood becomes very important. Two layers of oak plywood will make a strong frame, which will then be covered up with laminate.

Never use oak for this. It's just a waste of money. After you cover it with a laminate it's just another sheet of plywood. Best off with MDF or LDF.

You should pay extra attention to making the top of the table frame flat and even. Before attaching the laminate, you need to flatten the top with a straightedge and a sander. You should use a roller for the contact cement since variations in the cement itself account for most of the deviations in the top. Also make sure you build the legs very well so they don't wobble. Sand all the surfaces so that everything is very smooth. Use a planer to complete that task.

Sounds like you are writing an article for Better Homes and Garden.

Spend money on a ready-made router table top in case you wish to cut back on time frame in addition to making things easier. Get a laminated top for your router table. Also get channel guides and a miter gauge. Build a large table that is at least 24 x 32 inches. It is going to offer you plenty of space to perform your jobs.

This doesn't go with your other advise. Hmm.

In case you do not wish to build your own table, simply buy a good one that you will assemble yourself. Of course it is a time saver but you will end up spending more money and you will miss the satisfaction of self building your own stuff.

Right on this one but you left out, building it yourself will produce a better table.

You can also build a router table fence that has clamps built into it to secure it to the table. Add extra features to your router table such as a router fence vacuum. Attaching the adapter on your fence and collecting most of the dust will keep your working area very clean by getting rid of all chips and sawdust.

I'm bored. My guess is the OP isn't a real person. After writing this post I realized this.

Al

post #6 of 20 Old 11-05-2015, 02:30 PM

The original post was to "build your own router table"! That being said, BUYING your FIRST router table would give access to using the router & table, and in time perhaps improve on the original manufactured router table design by building your own, and would not require "buying a router table many times"! If you had only a hand saw, hammer, a screw driver, a 2'x4' plywood sheet, and some nails, it is doubtful IMO if even an "average" table could be built for precision router work. Be safe.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 01:04 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The original post was to "build your own router table"! That being said, BUYING your FIRST router table would give access to using the router & table, and in time perhaps improve on the original manufactured router table design by building your own, and would not require "buying a router table many times"! If you had only a hand saw, hammer, a screw driver, a 2'x4' plywood sheet, and some nails, it is doubtful IMO if even an "average" table could be built for precision router work. Be safe.
You have got to be kidding, a bit protruding through a sheet of plywood and a 2X4 clamped on top of it for a fence will be as accurate as any cheap router table out there.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Bob in St. Louis (11-06-2015), MT Stringer (11-08-2015)
post #8 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
You have got to be kidding, a bit protruding through a sheet of plywood and a 2X4 clamped on top of it for a fence will be as accurate as any cheap router table out there.

You got that right. Store bought tables suck compared to building one.

Al

post #9 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:

My first table was a sink cutout and a straight board. I ran the pi$$ out of the thing.

Al

post #10 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Woodchux:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Building a router table for a wantabe woodworker is a great way to learn all kinds of woodworking skills. There are all kinds of plans for building simple, easy and accurate "router tables" from a "2'x4' plywood sheet" to a complete table like mine below.

I would rather see a wantabe woodworker spend $1000 on necessary basic woodworking tools like a good hand saw, hammer, square, tape measure and bench top than on purchasing a store bought router table.

I just did a Google search on "router table plans". The image link that shows up has hundreds of ideas for router tables that can be built.

http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/i...outer%20tables

I love this one: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/11/26/wb/

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RouterTable_010.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	194450  

Toolman50 likes this.
Al B Thayer (11-06-2015)
post #11 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Interesting replies & some food for thought to "building a router table" vs. buying a manufactured unit. I agree (in part) with most of the replies, but the point being if the prospective "wantabe" WW has little or no knowledge/tools of how to start building any project, it may be easier (perhaps not cheaper) to just buy a manufactured unit and improve on it through the WW learning process. Be safe.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM

View Bob in St. Louis's Photo Album My Photos
I see in the OP, "Last edited by BigJim; 11-04-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Ad Removed"
But there's an ad in the signature line.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder if the people making an account of a forum with the intent of only posting an advertisement realize that they drive away more people than they gain...

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #14 of 20 Old 11-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I wonder if the people making an account of a forum with the intent of only posting an advertisement realize that they drive away more people than they gain...
They certainly drove me away....but as a newbie, I might have been influenced into thinking that the only way to be successful at woodworking is to spend lots of money on tools, jigs, accessories, etc that I can make for a lot less money and get better quality.

I have a 20" surface planer and a 12" jointer. I use them both all the time with rough cut lumber I get for less than $1 per board feet. But could I have worked with rough cut lumber by purchasing a Jack plane and Jointer plane? The cost of my planer and jointer are about $5000 used. I could have bought a very nice set of planes and got a better workout, if I had known how to mill rough cut lumber by hand prior to purchasing my planer and jointer.

Knowledge is power.....

I have to thank all the good people in the world that contribute to WoodworkingTalk.com, youtube.com, DIY.com and other similar web sites. It makes me want to contribute my knowledge back to the newbies that are just getting started in woodworking.

Pay it forward....

Eric
woodchux (11-08-2015)
post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM

We are all here IMO, as teachers and students to learn & teach each other, whether newbies or experienced woodworkers. Be safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
Bob in St. Louis (11-08-2015), Minnesota Marty (11-14-2015)
post #16 of 20 Old 11-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We are all here IMO, as teachers and students to learn & teach each other, whether newbies or experienced woodworkers. Be safe.
Very true, however some of us are only here to sell things.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Very true, however some of us are only here to sell things.

Lately I question why I'm here.

Al

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Bob in St. Louis (11-08-2015)
post #18 of 20 Old 11-08-2015, 07:09 PM

Nah...don't think that. You're not a spammer.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-05-2016, 05:42 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I've probably bought 15 sheets of plywood at various times to build a router table and still don't have one. I have a router I've used maybe 3 times.
I suppose I'll get around to it someday, but for now the dado stack does just about, well not everything, but most things I might do with a router..
My router for now sits on the shelf looking like something that sort of, maybe, in a way kind of looks like I might know what I'm doing.
Maybe I'll make a sign with it that says 'YES! I spent $25 at Harbor Freight and don't you forget that! '

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 10-05-2016 at 05:46 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You can find router table designs in the old post of this forum, on Pinterest, and in many old publications of woodworking magazines. It's worth your time to look over the varied designs prior selecting your build for a router cabinet.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode