Blade alignment on my Craftsman table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

View lepton's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Blade alignment on my Craftsman table saw

I've got a used Craftsman tablesaw, model 315.228410, and the blade seems to be out of alignment. When I measure to the miter slot, it's 4" on the front but about 3 7/8" on the back--nearly an 1/8" out over the 10" blade. Doesn't that seem like a lot? I have the manual, and it says that I need to loosen 3 bolts on the rear bracket. These bolts seem to hold the bracket to the underside of the table, and the trunnion rests in it and swings in a slot when the bevel handwheel is turned. The problem is, these 3 bolts don't seem to sit in slots of any sort; they seem to thread through the bracket into threaded bolt holes. Since there's no side to side movement, I don't see how I can pivot the blade and improve the alignment. I know several users on this forum have this saw, so I'm wondering if you have blade alignment issues, or can clarify how to align my blade. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
I know exactly what your talking about I have almost the same saw. I have spent the last week trying to get my crapsman table saw aligned. I have spent close to 8 hours on it with no luck.:censor ed: I have one from the early 90s that was given to me and im about to give it back . Sorry if I seem a little mad I just got done trying to do it and its not working. I don't get either why the bolts don't sit in a slot. I have been taking a look at the new saw sears sells and am really thinking about getting it. Sorry I wish I could help you more

Lighten up . It's just the internet.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Posted in a similar thread

You can not work with only the rear trunnion bolts! You have to loosen the front also, and pivot on the front center bolt.

remove 4 bolts
Leave the center ones just slightly loose and see if you can rotate the arbor and carriage assembly by hand to get the blade parallel to the miter slot.

It if will line up, then tighten the 2 center bolts. Then insert the remaining bolts one at a time and snug them up, then give everything a final 1/4 turn more.

If it won't line up using the 2 center bolts, your trunnion holes will have to be slightly enlarged and you need to figure out from the top down which way to elongate the holes. It won't take more than a few stokes of a 3/8" round rat tail file, but it will mean either removing the trunnions or dropping the whole assembly down. If you need to drop the whole assembly it's a good time to really clean out and wash the trunnions from any old grease and dust. Also remove any addition loose parts to reduce the weight.
If possible turn the saw upside down on it's table....yeah, I know it's a PITA, but this is a one time only process and you may as well do it right.... Been there, done it myself. It's also much easier to see which way to enlarge the holes and which ones upside down. Use star washers under the bolts and you'll find a 3/8" ratchet with a 12" extension will make life a whole lot easier.
Now, to align the blade to the slots turn the saw on it's back end, so you can see the bolt holes and still measure to the miter slots. I use a tri-square set to the closest dimension possible and check front and back on the same tooth rotating the blade. Once you get the same reading, again tighten the center bolts and replace the outer ones and tighten them also. RECHECK for parallelism.
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
lepton (03-24-2012)
post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View lepton's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Bill, that was very helpful. I think I understand the mechanism now: The trunnion holes are slightly oversized, and by rotating the trunnions rather than sliding them, we can change the blade's alignment to the table. I found that by standing at the back and lifting the motor, I could improve the alignment quite a bit. Sometimes when I retighten the bolts though, they want to fall back to their old positions (even the rear centre bolt) so it's very difficult to maintain perfect alignment. However it's much better now than it was (< 1/16" I think) and I think I'll leave it at this until I have the opportunity to flip the saw and enlarge the trunnion holes as you suggested. I'm building a cabinet for the saw anyway, so I'll take care of this when I take the legs off.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Box Maker

View Kirby Hidy's Photo Album My Photos
Consider adding PALS to your saw. Helps keep alignment solid. Not expensive and I believe they offer a set just for Craftsman saws.

Tags
315.228410, blade alignment, craftsman, tablesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode