biscuit joiner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

View rpt_thomas's Photo Album My Photos
biscuit joiner

I hav a pretty comprihensive shop put together but i need biscuit joiner i dont know that i will use it that much but I a about to build a desk and a table any suggestions on a reasonably priced tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I have built a few desks and many tables........never found a need for a biscuit joiner.

If I was ever to buy one, it would be Porter Cable.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!
"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
www.localwoodworkers.com
Watch our Youtube video
post #3 of 16 Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM

View Just-a-Guy's Photo Album My Photos
I find them very useful in a limited set of circumstances. Years (many years) ago, I had an Elu. I have also used a Lamello. But biscuit joiners are fairly simple machines. A few years ago I picked up a Ryobi cheap at The Borg, and it has served quite sufficiently on the dozen or so occasions that I've used it.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Makita. I like it, it does what a biscuit joiner is supposed to do. I'd stick with any of the bigger brands and you won't go wrong.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Had one (PC Brand) and sold it. It did not do what I expected it to do. (Keep the boards in a glued up panel even so that a wide belt sanding was not necessary.)

I find that dowels do a much better job of keeping panels flat.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I have the HF model because It's a seldom used tool and it works OK. Problem with any of them I think is the slot can easily be made larger then needed if you don't push exactly straight forward. I also bought the Craftsman mini biscuit joiner just because it was on sale and I didn't have one.

Yes I have a problem just like allot of you do.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
Had one (PC Brand) and sold it. It did not do what I expected it to do. (Keep the boards in a glued up panel even so that a wide belt sanding was not necessary.)

I find that dowels do a much better job of keeping panels flat.

Getting a dowel alignment could be difficult. A full spline is faster and more predictable. The best method for alignment is clamps and cauls.

post #8 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpt_thomas View Post
I hav a pretty comprihensive shop put together but i need biscuit joiner i dont know that i will use it that much but I a about to build a desk and a table any suggestions on a reasonably priced tool

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'm not going to suggest you run out and spend money on a biscuit joiner. I will propose a question. What would you use in place of a biscuit joiner? Suppose there was no such thing as a biscuit joiner...what would you do?

post #9 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM

View Toolman2's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Dewalt biscuit joiner that I've had for about 6 years. It works very well and it cost around $60 at the time. I use it quite a bit and bought it because dowels were a royal pain to deal with.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM

View Just-a-Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'm not going to suggest you run out and spend money on a biscuit joiner. I will propose a question. What would you use in place of a biscuit joiner? Suppose there was no such thing as a biscuit joiner...what would you do?

I would glue the pieces together and make my wife stand on the joint for 24 hours. If she moved, I would crack the whip. She would learn fast.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I have the DeWalt but if I had it to do over again I think I would go with the PC. The mechanism is a bit different and I sometimes have trouble getting the DeWalt to exactly center the grooves. Then again, I'm fussy!

If you only plan on occasional use, the Ryobi http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 and one of the Craftsman cutters http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...o=3&blockType= appear to be the same and get good reviews. They are much less $$.

Bill
post #12 of 16 Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Getting a dowel alignment could be difficult. A full spline is faster and more predictable. The best method for alignment is clamps and cauls.

A-Men, Mike.

However I use a secret jig made from common parts found in a woodworking store. The alignment is rarely off by more than 1/128".

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Freud. I rarely use it. I thought I would but was wrong. I wish I would have bought a Kreg jig instead. I know that's apples to oranges, but if I am just throwing something together quick I think I would have prefered pocket screws. The Freud is OK though. It works.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post

However I use a secret jig made from common parts found in a woodworking store. The alignment is rarely off by more than 1/128".

Maybe keep it a secret. I've never actually measured any differential if any. With a good glue up I can't feel any offset with my finger.

If there is any offset, the high side has to be taken down to the low side (usually top and bottom). That changes the transverse plane of the high side unless that milling happens across the section. Doing that changes the dimension of the total thickness, especially if the backside has to get milled. Then the whole piece has been reduced by whatever came of the top and the bottom.

If it's just at the joint there stands the possibility that the rest of the board across its width will vary.

post #15 of 16 Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
When I 1st began using my BJ, (Dewalt, 1990 or 91 still have and use the same ) I had constant problems with alignment. As I spent time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I improved the results to the point where I no longer have issues worth mentioning.

Finish lumber from the Lumb.Yd, IMO, has a much higher quality and quantity than the big box stores. That said there is still much lacking in the product supplied, most is mass produced plain sawn, albeit kept under cover it's not climate controlled. The mill cutters get dull and misaligned and it shows with scalloping, chipping and surface waves.

Minus using an unsafe tool which is also human error, all problems can be traced back to human error which accounts for most or all of the problems with glue ups and in particular BJing. Most stock is crowned, hooked and uneven in dimension. If one assumes otherwise and just cuts up the stock for a glue up, regardless of diligence in the BJing process there will be dissatisfaction with the results.

The stock requires further milling to make it suitable for jointing and glue ups. Uniform dimensions and crown minimization by ripping pieces into manageable units, surface planing for uniform thickness, edge jointing to square the sides up.

For me once I began making the biscuit cuts with the stock elevated off the work bench or extended over the edge the rest of my inconsistent mismatch problems disappeared. I had wondered if I or the table was forcing the jointer to tilt ever so slightly as I pushed the blade into the stock. It was either or both, I never figured out, it was an inconsistent error, none-the-less it stopped once I removed the possibility.

Its wonderful when a large piece of lumber can be milled and utilized, but that doesn't happen often with new wood.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #16 of 16 Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
btw, you can get a biscuit slot cutter for router (table) use also. choose a biscuit jointer that has a good registry with the wood (slight pins or rubber) to eliminate slipping during the cut. i use mine (makita) often in the contracting business - one more great tool for your arsenal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode