Best Planer for under $600 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View Kenika59's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenika59 Send a message via Skype™ to Kenika59
Best Planer for under $600

What are yours thoughts about the best planer to get for under $600? Are there any good one's for this much or should I wait till I can get one in the 2K range?
I'm looking to start a shop to build all of our needs for a new house then seeing about doing it part time for friends...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
I just got the rigid planer at home depot for 399. So far I love it and think that it is a great deal. If your just starting out then right now you will have no need for a larger one. Do you have a table saw and jointer yet. If you don't you should get a table saw and jointer before a planer. I don't yet have a jointer but am waiting for a good deal on cl because I did not have the money for a jointer.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
You can get a good planer for under 600 dollars no problem. Dewalt makes some good models, from what wood magazine said, best on the market for benchtop models with the extension tables. The only problem with these are that you get snipe. With the bigger machines in the 2k range, you end up getting a very small, almost undetectable amount of snipe. So, take it with a grain of salt and do what you think is best. For your needs, I would suggest under 600 dollars. Look at the dewalts, they're nice!
post #4 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
A_shop_and_a_Vette

View xphnmn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locodcdude View Post
You can get a good planer for under 600 dollars no problem. Dewalt makes some good models, from what wood magazine said, best on the market for benchtop models with the extension tables. The only problem with these are that you get snipe. With the bigger machines in the 2k range, you end up getting a very small, almost undetectable amount of snipe. So, take it with a grain of salt and do what you think is best. For your needs, I would suggest under 600 dollars. Look at the dewalts, they're nice!

+1 on the Dewalts. Take a look at both the DW734 (around$300 at HD) and the DW735 (around $650). In all the reviews I've seen, these two are always the top rated for least snipe and smoothness of cut. They are both three knife planers. Just be sure to get the optional infeed/outfeed tables to help minimize snipe. The Ridgid got high marks too but was more difficult to adjust depth of cut in the reviews/comparisons I've seen.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Dewalt 734 (which replaced my 733 which died after 12 years of service and tens if not 100's of thousand board feet) and it works great. The gripe about snipe is not warranted. With light passes and attention to supporting the wood as it exits the machine and there is very little if any snipe (and what is there sands out very quickly). Oh yea, you can usually find the 734 on sale for under $350.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #6 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I have a DW 734 also, but if you are in the $600 range you might as well save a little and get a stationary planer. A lot of guys here swear by Grizzly's tools and that'd be more in the $1000-1500 range then the $2000 range.

Check them out here
http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=490000

To get a heavy cast iron with re-sharpenable blades and a larger motor for just a few hundy more then what you are currently at might be worth the wait if you can swing it. I can't, that's why I have the 734, otherwise I would have.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM

View Chippin-in's Photo Album My Photos
I recently bought the Steel City 13" planer with the helical cutterhead. Although I have not used it exstensively, I am happy with it. Not sure if you are looking for something larger than that. If you are, I believe Grizzly is the way to go. I own several of their tools and am very pleased with them. More machine, less money.

Robert

Forgot to mention that the planer was 549.00 with free shipping thru amazon.

God made us from dust, but all we can do is make dust.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
The Ridgid and Dewalt planers are nice machines. I wouldn't bother with a jointer before a planer though. You can joint with a planer / sled rig and a table saw / jig, but you can not thickness plane on a jointer no matter how hard you try...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #9 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 PM

View PapaPont's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Ridgid recently, Lowes had the Dewalt for $349 and Home Depot had it for $399 and the Ridgid wad also $399. I asked the worker if They could price match Lowes with the Ridgid and he gave it to me for $349 and then I got an extra 10% off after that, so it cost me $315 ish.

It had snipe on both sides but I tweaked it and got all the snipe out from the front of the board and the back has a very very small amount which is removed quickly from a swipe with the sander.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM

View RJweb's Photo Album My Photos
Question

Sorry but a stupid question, I am new to this, what is snipe?
post #11 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
A good used old iron planer is my choice. I paid $150 for my 12" Boice Crane planer. (in picture) I just sold 2, 8" craftsman/Belsaw planer/moulders, for $100 for both. I needed the room, and paid $50 for one, and got the other for free.
I think $600 would buy great a old restored planer. Just a matter of finding one. Post wanted ads.
Over on OWWM, there are at least 3 for sale on the first 2 pages.
Shipping can be a problem, as they're not light.
http://owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=4&start=40
Attached Images

post #12 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM

View BCramer's Photo Album My Photos
Snipe is when the cutter over cuts on the leading or trailing end. This is caused by one feed roller not being supported when the board is entering and exiting the planer.

By the way I have a Dewalt D734 and love it. I already have planed 100's of board feet with it. I know you are not suppose to do this but I planed a dozen boards or so for a half hour with out any problems.

Last edited by BCramer; 05-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPont View Post
I bought the Ridgid recently, Lowes had the Dewalt for $349 and Home Depot had it for $399 and the Ridgid wad also $399. I asked the worker if They could price match Lowes with the Ridgid and he gave it to me for $349 and then I got an extra 10% off after that, so it cost me $315 ish.
Gees, my HD would NEVER price match a different brand. Those guys must like you.

Anyway, I just got the dewalt 734 and am pretty happy with it. I found the sale price at HD and got the price match plus 10% at Lowes.

If I was willing to spend a little more money though, I'd get either the Dewalt 735 or the Steel City with the helical cutter head.

--Matt
post #14 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
Get a 10% off coupon for HD (ebay or moving kit from the post office) and get the Dewalt 735 for under $600. Butter smooth cuts, great dust collection (actually blows up my DC bag without the DC being turned on), one-tool for all service/adjustments, near zero snipe (with in/out tables adjusted properly). The Ridgid and DW 734 are also very good planers for less money. Good luck, Mike
post #15 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
You can get a reconditioned 735 for $500.00 with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...ss_Planers.ASP
post #16 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #17 of 29 Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

View Kenika59's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenika59 Send a message via Skype™ to Kenika59
Hey Guys thanks so much for your feedback. I found the 13" Dewalt DW735X on the Factory Authorized Outlet site with an extra 3 knives & the in & out feed extension tables for $579 including shipping.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 AM

View brendankiely's Photo Album My Photos
I have the DeWalt DW735X 13 Two-Speed Planer Package. Very happy.

It has 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon

More info: http://best-gear.org/dewalt-13-two-s...ackage-dw735x/
post #19 of 29 Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are patient you might be able to find a heavier used professional model planer for under $600.00 that would last you the rest of your life. I would look for Powermatic. I didn't do this though. I needed a planer so I just went out and bought a Delta 12 1/2" portable planer, thinking I bought lumber already surfaced and just needed the planer to surface the edges of faceframe stock. I soon found out this was a big mistake. The machine was constantly falling apart. After using it for several months like that I finally dissembled the planer and reassembled it with threadlock. Still from time to time I have a piece fall off of it and now I'm having to improvise some of the parts because Delta has discontinued them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (06-10-2012)
post #20 of 29 Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 PM
No Longer Here

View Benny Blanco's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
A good used old iron planer is my choice. I paid $150 for my 12" Boice Crane planer. (in picture) I just sold 2, 8" craftsman/Belsaw planer/moulders, for $100 for both. I needed the room, and paid $50 for one, and got the other for free.
I think $600 would buy great a old restored planer. Just a matter of finding one. Post wanted ads.
Over on OWWM, there are at least 3 for sale on the first 2 pages.
Shipping can be a problem, as they're not light.
http://owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=4&start=40
Yes, $600 goes along way on older and better made equipment.
I just cant buy this new stuff, when there is much better tools out there for less.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benny Blanco For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (06-10-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode