band saw saw dust - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

View tman02's Photo Album My Photos
band saw saw dust

I have been trying to improve my band saw dust collection and have discovered that saw dust is apparently being pulled by the blade completely around both wheels and is then released just above the upper blade guides and goes all over the table top and from there to the rest of the saw.

My dust collection is just below the blade opening in the table top so do not see how this is is possible.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of bandsaw do you have? What kind of dust collection are you using? Is the below the table collection port connected to the table, to the lower wheel housing, or just an opening below the table near the blade? More info and pics would help us help you I think.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
A blade or wheel brush might help.

Bill
post #4 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
I have a similar problem with my 14" Jet. I put brushes on both wheels but it didn't help. I saw an article where a guy used PVC pipe to make a collector under the table that he said really helped....now if I coud just fine the article
post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
What kind of bandsaw do you have? What kind of dust collection are you using? Is the below the table collection port connected to the table, to the lower wheel housing, or just an opening below the table near the blade? More info and pics would help us help you I think.
I have a Delta 14" band saw, and an older Delta 2-stage dust collector that is a 650 CFM unit. I just installed a 4 " PVC straight tee underneath the table top that came from a reader's shop tip in the July 2010 issue of Wood magazine (I have attached a snapshot of the article - I hope you can see it alright).

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Terry/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I have a brush on my lower wheel and it does not help either. See the response I made, I put a snapshot of the article I used for this dust collection tip.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I am guessing the sawdust is just buzzing right by the collector's port in the gullets of the blade. I think a brush on the inside with the collection port near or just behind the brush may be the solution. The brush needs to knock the dust clear of the gullets to allow it to be sucked into the port. Just my theory. I read that tip too; maybe the guy has a high CFM collector, I don't know. Maybe he should give his drill back. JK.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
a stiffer brush works under deck just after the bottom guide i found some of it is static electric

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #9 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
After seeing that lots of dust collected in the bottom of the housing, I modified the cover to accept a 4" hose located near the bottom. It helps a lot. But, the under table PVC pipe would probably help, too.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
I am guessing the sawdust is just buzzing right by the collector's port in the gullets of the blade. I think a brush on the inside with the collection port near or just behind the brush may be the solution. The brush needs to knock the dust clear of the gullets to allow it to be sucked into the port. Just my theory. I read that tip too; maybe the guy has a high CFM collector, I don't know. Maybe he should give his drill back. JK.
Had not exactly thought about putting a brush there, but did wonder about maybe putting a piece of a synthetic "steel wool" under the table insert to see if that helps. But that might not let it get to the dust port. I had noticed that even though the blade is new it looks like it has pitch on it although I have not used it very much.

And I agree with you that the fellow that submitted the tip probably has a larger dust collector. Personally I would like to have a unit like the Jet 1100 CFM.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I think a smaller fitting and maybe a straight or elbow instead of the tee by the blade. ( you loose airflow sucking from the side of a tee) Then add a connection in the bottom of the saw sucking dust from around the bottom wheel. I have a 4" connection there and a 2 1/2 by the blade but they came that way and I have a bigger dust collector. For your set up I would go with a 2 1/2" at both locations.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
I think a smaller fitting and maybe a straight or elbow instead of the tee by the blade. ( you loose airflow sucking from the side of a tee) Then add a connection in the bottom of the saw sucking dust from around the bottom wheel. I have a 4" connection there and a 2 1/2 by the blade but they came that way and I have a bigger dust collector. For your set up I would go with a 2 1/2" at both locations.
I reduced the branch of the tee down to a 2" so I could maintain as much CFM as possible. I used to use a 2-1/2" vacuum cleaner connection in the bottom portion of the lower door, but sealed it off when I went with this tee idea. I think I will figure out how to connect them together and see if that works any better.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM

View thewoodnerd's Photo Album My Photos
A simple duct pointed up under the lower guides solved that issue for me: http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/...n.html#bandsaw

Last edited by thewoodnerd; 08-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I had a vacuum connecting on my band saw similar to the one you put in the back of your band saw (smaller of course) and just today I hooked that up to the tee I placed under the table top and that really took care of most of the saw dust (except what was ON the table top).

I think if I could add something like what you have above your table top would take care of that, but do not think my 650 CFM collector would handle that in addition to the other connections.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode