Arrgghh... Router Collet Broken - Any Third-Party Parts? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

View Wood4Brains's Photo Album My Photos
Arrgghh... Router Collet Broken - Any Third-Party Parts?

Hi there, Everyone:

I just bought a used black and decker router off of craigslist for $20.

Unfortunately, it turns out the collet is broken, and a replacement is going to cost me another $30 ($19 plus about $11 for shipping).

Is there anywhere to get third-party replacement parts for less that are going to fit? (I checked and there was nothing on ebay)

I checked ereplacement parts and their price is the same as getting it directly through black and decker.

Part number 881900-00 for black and decker 7613-04 Type 1 router. Seems to be the same part as for a dewalt router, too.

~~~~

On another note... if anyone has any suggestions on whether I should even replace the collet on this router or not, feel free to give me your opinions. I am NOT having a good day today...

I'm An Expert In Ugly!

Last edited by Wood4Brains; 08-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood4Brains View Post
Hi there, Everyone:

Unfortunately, it turns out the collet is broken, and a replacement is going to cost me another $30 ($19 plus about $11 for shipping).

Is there anywhere to get third-party replacement parts for less that are going to fit? (I checked and there was nothing on ebay)

I checked ereplacement parts and their price is the same as getting it directly through black and decker.

Part number 881900-00 for black and decker 7613-04 Type 1 router. Seems to be the same part as for a dewalt router, too.

~~~~

On another note... if anyone has any suggestions on whether I should even replace the collet on this router or not, feel free to give me your opinions. I am NOT having a good day today...
Are you sure its "broken"? What does it look like? If there is a split, it could be the way it's supposed to be. How about a picture of it?

post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely not worth repairing.

The "reinforcements" are in the mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Wood4Brains (08-23-2012)
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood4Brains View Post
Hi there, Everyone:

~~~~

Collets are tough. They are usually not only brand specific but some may also be model specific. The taper on the outside of the collet needs to match the taper on the inside of the armature shaft, in addition to the diameter and thread pitch considerations. Since DeWalt is a subdivision of Black and Decker their may be some cross application their but I doubt a DeWalt collet will be much cheaper.
According to ereplacement parts, that collet is compatible with 21 other machines
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/collet-p-94661.html
Maybe you can find one of those on CL or eBay.
Good luck.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Wood4Brains (08-23-2012)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

@ cabinetman:

Quote:
How about a picture of it?
Here it is:

And this is what it is SUPPOSED to look like:

I wonder if there is a different part (i.e., a more modern part) that can be used that might be easier to source?

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
+1 with John, the collets I have seen were specific for the model. Either taper or thread may differ.

Sad that no standards.

Also this collet is not self releasing. In a way you are lucky not to be using it. It is amazing how a bit can become attached to the collet over time. DAMHIKT.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

@ Dave Paine:

Quote:
Definitely not worth repairing. The "reinforcements" are in the mail.
Wow!!! That would be awesome!!!

I hate to admit this, but there was a good long minute or two where I thought that superglue might suffice... until better judgement kicked in.

As you can see, I still have a LOT to learn about power tools.

Again, I wish I could convey my gratitude more effectively.

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
I would just get a different router. In stead of rigging something together.

Or try do don't the same router and combining parts
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
This is a guess so no flames if I am wrong.

There is a product called "The Eliminator". It is designed to replace the collet on a router. The Eliminator does away with the need for collet wrenches and uses an Allen screw to hold the Router bit in place. It really works well and I've use The Eliminator to turn panel raising bits w/o any problem.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode