Add a jig saw table to your table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By pbriggs8

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

View pbriggs8's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pbriggs8
Add a jig saw table to your table saw

I recently modified my portable table saw to replace the left extension table with a jig saw table. The hinged table design allows easy access to change jig saw blades.

Since table saws vary in construction details, you will need to modify the construction approach as necessary for your table saw.

I got the idea for this as I was constructing a hinged router table for my table saw. I wanted to be able to have a jig saw table that would be able to use my table saw fence for cuts. With the router table on the right side, why not use the left side for a jig saw (as long as the blade can be quickly and easily removed)?

I purchased a used Bosch 1590EVS jig saw from someone off of Craigslist for $75 as this jig saw has excellent reviews and has an easily removable blade. If you already have a jig saw, you should be be to use it, although you may want to consider getting a jig saw that has an easily removable blade.

I also wanted a smooth white formica top, but I wanted to use a solid wood base vs a particle board base, and I found a white formica table top at the Restore for $17 that I could cut up and use for the jig saw.

With the blade pulled up to its highest point, it is about 1-3/4" tall - which is more than enough to cut 3/4" plywood, etc. With the 3/4" thick formica top, and the jigsaw recessed a little more than 1/4" so, I should be losing only about 1/2" from the cut stroke.

I have just put the jig saw table into service and it appears to functioning just fine. I'll provide more feedback as I use it over time.

For more details on the construction, see the following Instructable:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-...our-Table-Saw/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160611_173205_ic.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	243882  

Name:	20160611_172140.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	243890  

Name:	20160611_172210.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	243898  

Name:	20160612_124623.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	243906  

subroc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What would you use it for?

George
post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

View pbriggs8's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pbriggs8
GeorgeC - I plan on using it to cut parts that require tighter curves than my Harbor Freight band saw can handle (including parts that have large holes in the center). It is also easier to work on small parts on this table than on the band saw. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to use the table saw fence in conjunction with the jig saw table for some cuts.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 AM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
It'd be handy on a jobsite too. The only portable bandsaw I know of costs more than my truck.

I hate signatures.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Very unique idea, but do be certain the jig saw is tightly mounted in a safe manner to the TS to prevent any WW vibration surprises! Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I actually adapted an old sewing machine head under a sheet of plywood and powered it with a 1/4 HP motor. This was in my youth before I totally understood the necessity of oiling moving parts so it didn't last that long.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode